Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 1300c and have about 300 miles on her. I noticed that my fan wasn't coming on and the over heat light came on. So I pulled her over and sat there for about 15 mins with the engine off. Fired her back up and the light was off.
We'll I checked the fuse and sure enough, it was popped. Since Honda was nice enough to add an extra fuse, I replaced it. I drove around abit and the engine was starting to get warm. I parked it and left it at running. The fan came on for about 45 secs and then went off. Checked the fuse, there again, it was popped. I'm calling Honda on Tuesday to let them look at it.

My thinking is, the fan motor is pulling too much causing the fuse to blow. Possible they need to replace the fan motor?

:?:

-ConnRadd

·
Registered
323 Posts
ConnRadd,
You might want to trace the wires and see if you find a piece of bare wire grounding out. Or just take it to the dealer if you don't feel comfortable doing that and the bike is unser warranty still. Let us know what you find!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just know that I and some others here really don't care to have the dealer touch our bikes regardless if it is under warranty. To each their own though.
Later!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the dealer is gonna take care of. Plus, they are going to replace both fuses.. hehe
Also, taking it in; I'm sure Honda keeps a log of what has had happened to help in the future.

On another note, my brother bought a Shadow 1100 few days after I got mine. He was driving it to work one day the the linkage came off the shifter. He wasn't to happy about that, but was able to fix it on the side of the road...

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rod X,
Thanks for the info... Glad to see I'm not the only one that has had this issue. We'll see what the dealer says. Nice thing about forums, makes it a lot harder for the dealer to blow smoke. I found this out by owning an ATV. :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
RODS X said:
The fan fuse thing is VERY common & was talked about a lot about a year ago. I think Honda just got some really bad fuses. I have watched mine since I bought it & have NEVER had a problem. It's a good idea to carry a few on the bike if you have the storage.......... :D Rod

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... t=fan+fuse

I agree. I had the same problem when I purchased my 04. For the 1st 6 months I popped fuses like crazy so I bought a bag of em. When I purchased the bag is when the popping stopped. Funny how that works out. I would assume that it was bad fuses and not a problem with the bike's electrical system.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's an update:
The fan motor is blowing the fuse, so they are having to order a new fan motor. It's going to be 1 week before they can get it fixed...

Waiting for the manager to call me back...

**** I'M NOT TOO HAPPY WITH HONDA OF HOUSTON **** :cus:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Don't be too mad, they always tell you 1 week for parts from Honda. Bob Lunsfords NW Honda did the same to me waiting on a kill switch for the Magna. Then they left the bike out in the rain to boot. On my 1800 they did not even have spark plugs on the shelf when I had the fouling problem and wanted me to wait a week for that. On the 1300 they scratched the tank (hairline, thank goodness) when I took it in for fouling on that bike too. I am so fed up with their service dept. I will only take my bike to Honda Houston for warranty work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got the call...
Honda of Houston is going to overnight the part which should be here Friday and I should be riding by Sat. AM....

They are stepping up to the plate and taking care of a customer over and beyond the Honda Warranty... We'll see when it happens.

Wouldn't be so bad, but I haven't received my 1st statement yet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, last of the news...

Honda of Houston pulled through like they said they would.

If anyone in the Houston Metro area or if you know of anyone in this area looking to buy a Honda....

I highly recommend HoH. From start to finish and taking care of any issues, they are a dealer that I would trust...

:wink:

-ConnRadd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts