Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

My X would pop (a discrete sound similar to a shot) a lot (to my liking). I was just wondering if it's normal and how can I reduce it. Usually it happens when I'm slowing down by just closing the throttle (without/before downshifting and/or engaging clutch). In a regular after work ride (1,5-2 hours) I would have it 3-5 times depending on traffic etc. This morning though it popped like 5 times in 10 minutes (my commute to work). Maybe because it was coldish today (low 40s) and I have a passenger? Any help in identifying the source and hopefully addressing it would be much appreciated. I have after market pipes. Not sure about the brand. I bought her with them already installed. Here is the picture if it helps.

00202_7eJZSBrfPWW_600x450.jpg

Thank you!
Dmitri

·
Registered
35 Posts
The nuts holding them onto the engine could just be loose. Or after market pipes sometimes have thinner flanges that connecting them to the engine block. Therefore the nuts bottom out before properly tightened. This is fixed by putting a washer under the nut.

Another cause could be a bad exhaust gasket. Or desmogging the bike could help.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Has the pair valve(smog device that lets air into the exhaust to burn off excess gas in the pipes) been removed? If not remove the pair valve and check all bolts for tightness on both pipes. You might check the A/F as well, maybe open it to about 2 turns.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The nuts holding them onto the engine could just be loose. Or after market pipes sometimes have thinner flanges that connecting them to the engine block. Therefore the nuts bottom out before properly tightened. This is fixed by putting a washer under the nut.

Another cause could be a bad exhaust gasket. Or desmogging the bike could help.
So, with all the rain and life I finally got to it and decided to put washers (I also cleaned A/F and drained breather). I started with the rear top acorn and dropped it behind the left cover. Could not get it and start complaining to my wife on how talented I'm to manage that. :banghead: So, took the side cover off to get it and had to run back to her to report that I'm not the only one - it was two acorn nuts laying there (mine and a previous guy's):mrgreen: So, that was fun. :lol: I manage to put washers on and tighten 3 bolts, but how do you guys get to the front bottom?:dontknow: My socket barely get's there, but I can't connect a handle to unscrew :dontknow: What tool do you use for it? Or are there any triks?

On the bright side, even what I've done has reduced popping. I rode just under 50 miles after that so could be premature to judge, but I can see the difference already. So, thank you and help me with the last acorn please!:(

Dmitri

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
So, with all the rain and life I finally got to it and decided to put washers (I also cleaned A/F and drained breather). I started with the rear top acorn and dropped it behind the left cover. Could not get it and start complaining to my wife on how talented I'm to manage that. :banghead: So, took the side cover off to get it and had to run back to her to report that I'm not the only one - it was two acorn nuts laying there (mine and a previous guy's):mrgreen: So, that was fun. :lol: I manage to put washers on and tighten 3 bolts, but how do you guys get to the front bottom?:dontknow: My socket barely get's there, but I can't connect a handle to unscrew :dontknow: What tool do you use for it? Or are there any triks?

On the bright side, even what I've done has reduced popping. I rode just under 50 miles after that so could be premature to judge, but I can see the difference already. So, thank you and help me with the last acorn please!:(

Dmitri
No room for socket , open wrench or posibally a 1/4" breaker bar with a socket on it , it's slow going.
Carefull you don't want to break the studs off.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
280 Posts
No room for socket , open wrench or posibally a 1/4" breaker bar with a socket on it , it's slow going.
Carefull you don't want to break the studs off.

Donut/Doug
I just did these, I too have had the one BANG shot when coming down from high rpm (usually on highway)... I used a 1/4 drive short 12mm socket, then the 1/4 swivel connector, then I put a 1/4 to 3/8 connector, then a long 3/8 reach bar, then the torque wrench. I THINK I got it torqued to the right specs! (17ft/lb). I haven't had a chance to ride it,still raining every time I get off work.
korbo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts