Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about a list that addresses the Positives versus Negatives of the Fury.

Positive would be that it's a Honda.

Negative would be that its late to market.

What else on both sides?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Positive: Will look better than a pencil sketch.

Negative: Could use some better looking pipes.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Positive: It's a Honda.
Negatives: We dont know nothing about it yet. Only you know. What I get from your comments without saying it is, that is actually a chopper looking bike but you dont like it too much!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Too much hype about its release, a typical Honda trait ive noticed over the last few years. My only BIG dislike and its not about the bike itself so......

A little too late just like the new Honda Big Red MUV. Other companies have had them out for many years and several are superior (based on specs).

I do like the soft tail and the shaft drive looks like they added a BMWish design/style. Over styling from the patent pics does look good but IMO no better than the Raider. Both have styling cues i like better such as i dont like the Raiders fender rail. Exhaust styling doesnt matter to me since i change those anyway but the Fury's stock system does look better.

Bar hopper sized gas tank is great for a garage queen or show bike but doesnt have much of a place in my stable. Might as well have made it with a performance based motor such as a high reving/hp 1300cc or a 1500cc+ single pin motor with a slighty higher redline. Since i dont know if its just a VTX1300 engine with EFI its too soon for a real judgement.

Personally if i was going to pay MSRP for a Fury i would rather pay a bit more for other currently available options but im not a big chopper fan anyway. I would have been more excited about a performance oriented single pin 1100cc Shadow with flat tracker styling.

As with any new model though i am at least interested in seeing it in person and hope it sells well enough for further improvements.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Positive: It's a Honda.
Negatives: We dont know nothing about it yet. Only you know. What I get from your comments without saying it is, that is actually a chopper looking bike but you dont like it too much!
You know everything I know and thats all I have been able to find.

I am just upset that Honda has hyped this to the dealers way beyond normal levels. And how many will each dealer get to sell? One?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
That was exactly my point. You seen it and you dont seem impressed. I understand your gag order. A new model bike with 3 or 4 changes of the current 1300 model. I see the spark plu covers that look like the ones from the 1800. Diffent headlight bucket. Wires ran inside the bars. Down tubes widen so the radiator fit inside them.
I think Honda looked at everything out there and incorporated mods done by individuals and the popular "chopper" look thinking is going to be a hit. There is many people out there that will like this bike. In the other hand times will dictate how many they will sell based on price range.
I believe MSRP will be $12999 - $13999

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was exactly my point. You seen it and you dont seem impressed. I understand your gag order. A new model bike with 3 or 4 changes of the current 1300 model. I see the spark plu covers that look like the ones from the 1800. Diffent headlight bucket. Wires ran inside the bars. Down tubes widen so the radiator fit inside them.
I think Honda looked at everything out there and incorporated mods done by individuals and the popular "chopper" look thinking is going to be a hit. There is many people out there that will like this bike. In the other hand times will dictate how many they will sell based on price range.
I believe MSRP will be $12999 - $13999

I have only seen what you have seen. Nothing else has been released by Honda. I am just disappointed that they chose to recycle so much existing stuff and hype it as something really special. I hope my opinion changes when we see the real deal.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts

What else on both sides?
Another negative - 1300cc.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The 1300 ain't a bad thing ... EFI is a long-overdue benefit, and they could squeeze a lot more out of that size motor than they do. It won't burn up the quarter, but it can still get out of its own way.

Positive: EFI; softtail-like rear; something actually different from Honda (likability and timeliness notwithstanding).

Negative: peanut-sized tank; basically just a bar-hopper.

What remains to be seen is what they'll offer for real customization. If they'll have a boatload of factory chrome goodies and mods, it's got some potential.

From everything I'm reading, Honda is looking to bring in more new riders and appeal to a different market with the introduction of things like the Fury and the DN-01. It seems they either think they have as much of the 'traditional' rider market that they can get with what they're already offering, or this market is drying up so fast that they HAVE to look to expand into a new customer base. But I think they're missing the mark big time by ignoring by ignoring their faithful like they have.

And to kind of second what Evilgrin said, I'd like to see them take the old VTR1000 motor and put that in a cruiser. What I'd REALLY like to see is a 1300 V-4 in a cruiser (a real cruiser, not a V-Max knock-off), but that'll never happen. :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
...Negative would be that its late to market.
I disagree with that statement. I mean, it looks a lot like Yamaha's Raider, which just debuted and 95% of Victory's 2009 lineup looks like that. I'd say it's less late and more, just another option.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I disagree with that statement. I mean, it looks a lot like Yamaha's Raider, which just debuted and 95% of Victory's 2009 lineup looks like that. I'd say it's less late and more, just another option.
:agree:
Cool is cool and more so when it comes to motorcycles.

The cool bikes of the 'old' days are still cool.

Another example of cool is cool... ANY year/color Corvette.

COOL bikes DON'T go out of style!

Choppers were/are/will be cool.

I do know that the Honda VTX's were/are/and will continue to be 'cool' motorcycles.

I don't know it if this 'new' Honda is cool or not, but just because it's chopper inspired is no reason to cut it... especially before its official debut.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Positives-
reliable
quality bike
affordable chopper based on price of Big Dogs, Iron Horse etc.
could bring in new customers to Honda
probably handles well for a chopper
lighter weight than VTX 1300, thus quicker acceleration
probably looks good
fuel injection

Negatives-
late for the demand
small chopper engine
non-self adjusting valves
shaft drive
probably not enough chrome (including wheels and forks)
rear tire should have been a 240
baby chopper stigma

·
Registered
10,672 Posts

I agree.

+ side
soft tail suspension
EFI
better looking fenders than the Raider
front disc on the left side
radiator tucked in nicer than on the 1800

- side
1300cc
no belt drive
Looks like it could be a pain to put after market bars on it and retain the stock speedo
fugly strut bar that goes to the final drive

·
Registered
37 Posts
Positives:
shaft drive
liquid cooled
Possible wicked design lines
forward controls
removal of radiator in front
Honda

Negatives:
rehash of another V twin
possible Rune-like bucket sized headlight

Possibilities:
Engine design (no v-twin) that makes comparison with Harley ridiculous
Coolant overflow within frame
Low bobber variant
Low/no Chrome variant

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

What else on both sides?
Until it hits the streets and we can get some riding tests, anything we list now would be speculation and assumption. Not safe assume anything.

This bike could come out and regardless of how we speculate sell out the first model year. I guess if I was to list a negative at this point it would be that the bike is a Chopper. I am not a Chopper person at all.

Now if Honda would have come out with a trike, I think that would turn a lot of heads .... especially the heads in those companies that make a living triking the Hondas and others.

Personally my thoughts are there is nothing wrong with a V-Twin, but it belongs on a Cruiser. I don't think I would like a V-Four on a Inline Four on a cruiser. Now would I want to see a V-Twin on a true Touring bike. But that's just opinion on my part.

P.S. - My dealer offered me first shot at his first Fury - I told him to offer it to someone else.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You know everything I know and thats all I have been able to find.

I am just upset that Honda has hyped this to the dealers way beyond normal levels. And how many will each dealer get to sell? One?

Regarding the Hype, I agree, it seems a bit over the top for what most of us believe the Fury will turn out to be,,,

Every MFG has to drum up some kind of interest somehow in their products. No easy task with the times as tough as they are,,,

Has anyone else noticed the all out media (esp. radio) blitz on cars/trucks?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Regarding the Hype, I agree, it seems a bit over the top for what most of us believe the Fury will turn out to be,,,

Every MFG has to drum up some kind of interest somehow in their products. No easy task with the times as tough as they are,,,

Has anyone else noticed the all out media (esp. radio) blitz on cars/trucks?

If you are wondering how companies on the brink of bankruptcy can afford to do so much advertising, and yes there has been an increase.

Federal Bailout Money is being used to pay for advertising but auto makers who took the money.

On the surface that may sound like a bad idea, but in reality it's the best place to spend it at the moment. They won't survive, if they do not advertise. They may fail anyway, but spending the money on production of a product that is not selling is a bad idea.

Historically speaking, the companies that made it through the depression are the ones who did not back down on advertising.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts