Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, been a while since I've been on here due to a new addition to our family. Anyway, here's the deal. I think I may have let the ole 1800C sit too long before I put the trickle charge on her and when I got on her the other day to fire it up it wouldn't even turn over. So I hooked up the charger and got it up to "full charge" according to the charger. My dad was shocked at how quickly it charged full, probably less than 3-4 hours. But I hopped on and took it for a spin, no issues other than the exhaust (V&H Long Shots) popped at idle, once I took off it sounded fine and wasn't doing it when I pulled back in after about a 15-20 min ride. That was on Saturday. I had ordered a used fairing from Ebay (exceeded expectations actually) and put it on yesterday evening. I couldn't wait to test it out so I hopped on again last night to go for a quick ride up the road. Immediately I knew something wasn't right, the exhaust sound at idle was just... weird, almost a weak sound, but it wasn't popping like the other day. It seemed like the "lub lub lub" of the exhaust sound was slower if that makes any sense? But I'm an idiot and rationalized that maybe the new fairing was somehow changing the sound of the exhaust bouncing back at me (I know, ridiculous). When I twisted the throttle in 1st gear, it was like I was on a much weaker bike. Super bogged down feeling, almost like an emergency brake was left on a car, that type of feeling. It was like that all the way through the gears, so needless to say my ride was even shorter than I had planned. My dad has much more experience than I do with bikes so I gave him a ring, he's pretty convinced that I let the bike sit too long without a trickle and it's no good anymore. Anyone have any insight here? I've looked at several threads but wanted to explain my particular situation as best as I could and see if anyone could offer up another explanation possibly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah sounds like dead battery to me too. I'd start there
Good enough for me Spike, from what I've read you're the VTX guru. Thank you sir. I was telling dad how great the fairing looked and how it was even better than the pics. I told him I was just waiting for something to go wrong since the fairing buy went so well, then this happened. Any recommendations on a specific battery, he had suggested I look into an Odyssey I think, or a gel type ?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Battery

Battery choice...............oem YUSA battery......also if the bike has not been ridden in a long while the gas may have become stale especially if ethenol in the fuel..................ESKIMO

Reactions: Curt E and jstacy

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
Reactions: jstacy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordered the Yuasa YTX20HL-BS off Amazon, about $87 shipped. We'll see how it works out and I'll update. Also going to check for loose wires when I get in today, but I figure everyone is right and the battery is just a goner. Thanks for all the insight

·
Premium Member
9,117 Posts
Excellent. Please post back and let us know.

When you install your new battery, make sure the cable ends (rings) are clean, and tighten the battery terminals with a wrench. I don't know exactly why, but these bikes are pretty sensitive to electrical variations noise and such so I always snugged everything down goot'ntite and put some dielectric grease on the terminals to keep oxidation to a minimum. Couldn't hurt, right?

Reactions: Curt E

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
You don't say what year the bike is? And it sure could be your battery but, it does not sound like the typical bad battery scenario. Unless battery is really AFU, once bike is running, it's running off the alternator not the battery. What you are describing sounds more like it was running on 1 cylinder. When you restart it with the new battery, if it's still acting funky, move your hand from pipe to pipe and see if both cylinders are getting hot (firing). And Harkon is right on about these battery connections. I use Blue Loc-Tite on the battery bolts. Never had a problem with them loosening.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's an 03', I'm leaning or rather hoping it's the battery. Could be a tragic coincidence that the battery died and this started at the same time but I sure hope not. True on the alternator, but if your battery isnt putting out enough juice wouldnt that affect the alternator, fuel injection, and everything else?Didn't have a chance to check for loose wires tonight, hard to find even a spare second with a 16 MO old running around, but I'll be checking that out just in case probably tomorrow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In Phoenix batteries on bikes dont last a year and a half. Here is a good clue though. Battery tender will usually charge it up in 20 minutes or less. All of a sudden it takes more than an hour. Trust me that means the battery is ready to fail and you will need a tow truck perhaps. That's my experience, anyway.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
You have an '03. It may not be the ROOT of your issues, but has it had the "Ground Fix" done to it? That WILL affect running performance. '02-'03's had this problem. If it's been done already, maybe check it anyway. Can't hurt.

Reactions: jstacy and Jimbo

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You have an '03. It may not be the ROOT of your issues, but has it had the "Ground Fix" done to it? That WILL affect running performance. '02-'03's had this problem. If it's been done already, maybe check it anyway. Can't hurt.
I did think about that since I've read several members' posts concerning this issue. I haven't checked it thinking that it would require more wrench work than I'm comfortable with. I've only done things like changing the brake pads and installing risers, and even those made me nervous. Is there a way to check to see if it's been done without removing the gas tank ???

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man I'm just ready to get it fixed whatever the issue is. I don't hunt or fish or collect anything, I like to work out and ride motorcycles, that's just what I enjoy. So when I started her up the other day and she sounded the way she did, it was like a punch in the stomach.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Don't sweat it to much man. Wealth of knowledge here. It's nothing real serious or expensive, just got to get it pinned down. We will. I enjoy working out too. My boy (23) is a monster and keeps me motivated. New Battery may just be all it needs. Take it from there. Jimbo

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
You can do the ground fix without removing the tank. You just need to pull it back and lift it up. Some of us redo the ground fix every couple of years as a maintenance item. If you can replace brake pads you can do the ground fix.

Here is the link from the "How To" board on how to do the ground fix. Lots of good info on that board.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/73-how-step-step/194258-1800-ground-fix-tapper.html

1 - 20 of 43 Posts