Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i spoke with the American Honda district service rep. the other day. i ask about the 1300 knocking sound. he said that they had quite a few that did this. alot of them had a bad spark plug and that plug was not fireing good causeing pre-ignition ping, which will make a knocking sound. he said to start with that and see if that fixes it. i put new plugs in mine and it quit knocking!! this is not a defitie fix but cant hurt it trying. also said make sure plug wires are all the way on some time they seem to be seated allthe way when they are not. a littlr extra push and it will popon the rest of the way. also said a few still knock but have not found any thing unusual in the engine causing this.

give plugs a shot and only use NGK or DENSO plugs if NGK are not available. think DCPR6E-11 for NGK check you owners manual for DENSO plugs.

hope it works out for ya

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You know. I would love to change my spark plugs, but how do you get the plug wires off? I tried to remove one of the plug wires, and the whole wire pulled right out of the plug cap. I pushed it back in. These plugs are not like what they use to be. The old days I could pull the plug caps off no problems. So how do these plug wires come off?

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
tlyoungb said:
You know. I would love to change my spark plugs, but how do you get the plug wires off? I tried to remove one of the plug wires, and the whole wire pulled right out of the plug cap. I pushed it back in. These plugs are not like what they use to be. The old days I could pull the plug caps off no problems. So how do these plug wires come off?
I use a plug wire puller, they look like a pair of pliers with bends in the tips. Works everytime.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think this is the first time I've heard anyone that had a suggestion on how to fix the noise. Since my bike is new and I only have about 600 miles.....I think my dealer should foot the bill for new plugs!

Good info, man.....thankx!

·
Registered
77 Posts
davmec93 said:
.....I think my dealer should foot the bill for new plugs!
Good Luck...lemme know how that works out for ya. Heck, i'm still in the middle of a pi$$in' contest about getting a new front fender for mine that was damaged in shipment... Whattever happened to 'Service with a Smile?' :D

·
Registered
550 Posts
supermoto150 said:
i spoke with the American Honda district service rep. the other day. i ask about the 1300 knocking sound. he said that they had quite a few that did this. alot of them had a bad spark plug and that plug was not fireing good causeing pre-ignition ping, which will make a knocking sound.
With all due respect to the Honda rep, HOW can a "non-firing" spark plug cause pre-ignition? Pre-ignition is firing before the spark plug actually activates. I suppose it is possible that a highly carbon fouled plug could glow red hot and cause pre-ignition. However, if I pulled the plugs and they were all clean, I'd have a hard time swallowing his argument.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Supermoto150,

I am trying to clarify you signature statement, because I ride a VTX I am OK but if I get on my HD I am a dirtbag. WOW how offensive is that? I have alway felt that this board was not into Harley bashing. But I am sure you don't care if it offends me. You don't know me but you think I am a dirtbag because I ride a HD. Mike

·
Registered
128 Posts
Knocking fix

I changed my plugs at the suggested maintenance interval, the knock did not go away. However my engine does some slight knocking at times even at idle. I have pulled in the clutch lever and it goes away. I just continue to ride and forget about it. If they ever figure this out I hope it is a plug issue, though I doubt it.
Until then, run it and IF it really is an issue we will find out soon. But you know, I have not heard anyone having any major engine problems.
Oh well lets keep the info line going, and the heat on Honda.

Thomas

·
Registered
223 Posts
supermoto150 said:
all i can say is you have to hold you touge just the right way and pull on the plug caps not the wires. or cool runnins nice tool of choise. way to go cool.
8) I don't own a Harley and I do find that statement offensive. The harley guy's that give me a hard time about my X; is the one's that I ride with. The important part is the ride, not what a person rides. Would you consider changing your signature statement?

·
Registered
686 Posts
MIKEW said:
Supermoto150,

I am trying to clarify you signature statement, because I ride a VTX I am OK but if I get on my HD I am a dirtbag. WOW how offensive is that? I have alway felt that this board was not into Harley bashing. But I am sure you don't care if it offends me. You don't know me but you think I am a dirtbag because I ride a HD. Mike
Im a dirt bag when I get on my Harley :D Lighten up Mike!!!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
That Honda Rep.

is feeding you a line of crap. I have 8500 miles on my bike and on my 3rd set of plugs and the knocking is still there. It only happens under load just like everybody elses. Tell this Rep. to go jerk someone elses chain or give us a real fix.

·
Registered
82 Posts
AMEN...VTXKC

I called Honda and got the royal brush off. The lady ( Customer care ), said that as long as there is not a documented problem....that there is not a problem to be corrected. Bull &%^$#. :!: She kept repeating the exact same phrase over and over and over. A scripted answer no doubt given to her to read. In other words....as long as we (HONDA) do not admit there is a problem....there is no problem. Such political sounding crap. Again I challenge a HONDA REP to come on here and at the very least come on here and give us an idea of what the knocking noise is. Look...IT AINT NORMAL :!: IT AINT THE NATURE OF THE BEAST :!: BECAUSE NOT ALL VTX 1300's MAKE THIS DAM NOISE :!:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally some one else has the same problem

Hello from Arizona, I bought my 1300 Retro last year and it was doing the same knocking you all are talking about. took it right back to the dealer Quote" it's the break in oil, as soon as you change it it should go away"
I changed the oil at 500 miles used the recomended along with filter, still have the knock. took it back had the service people ride it and they told me it was fine. the only noise they heard was the valves. So I had them adjusted, the oil changed to a 20-50 wt and cool. the knock is still there.
took my bike to different service dept. (By the way I've hit every dealrship and service dept. in the greater Phoenix Area about this little problem) and they rode it only to come back with a different answer. I've heard everything from honda put fins on the crank shaft to splash the oil better and they are vibrating, to i'm to hard on it, and in the wrong gear. one of the service dept even ask if I had taken a riding class so that I could learn to properly shift. THE NERVE!!!. I respect the techs that work in these shops, but come on now I Know I don't know everything about working on a motorcycle, But after bieng rotorywing mechanic for the Military for 20 plus twenty years, and I have been riding bikes about 30 years. I know A Excessive KNOCK when I hear one.
As I'm am sure all of you do as well. It's my belief that Honda is reluctant to accept this problem because it would cost alot to recall and almost all if not all of the work and parts would be covered under warrenty. Warrenty work equals no money out of your pocket and they eat the cost. I bought my extended warrenty and I riding the Hell out of it (like one of the depts told me to do) and if it breaks then well know what caused the problem. Good TROUBLSHOOTING practices HUH? Please post if any one ever figures out the problem. Maybe we should get a petition together and force honda to look into this. I don't know. I love the bike and just ride and hope it doesn't break down.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
MIKEW said:
Supermoto150,

I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to mention that, pretty sure he is joking.

G

·
Not all VTX's make knocking noises

After reading all of the other posts I want to put in my two sense. When I bought my bike used at 1600 miles, the engine was very quiet. No knocking or ticking noises at all. Typical HONDA engine sound.
Then shortly after, I checked the valves because I didn't know whether or not the previous owner had them done. I don't trust the dealer , so I did them myself using the step by step procedure from POISON and the service manual. I found all but one of the valves super tight. That is, I couldn't fit even the .006 and .012 feeler gauges. Even the .005 and .011 didn't fit. SUPER TIGHT. So I adjusted them according to specs and checked them again and again to make sure. Also made sure the rocker arms moved to know for sure I was in the correct position.
When all this was finally done four hours later, the ticking noise started after that. Actually sounds like the noise is coming from the exhaust pipes when I'm sitting on the bike at a stoplight. WHen I turn my ear torward the engine, it doesn't sound like the noise is coming from there.
So now I wonder if the specs from Honda is correct to begin with. The engine used to be very quiet and SOUNDED normal. HMMMM, makes me wonder now.

G

·
Would love to get rid of the knocking noise, but not at the expense of possible burnt valves from valves being too tight. However, you may have hit on something here. Honda may have botched it with the determination of the proper settings. Interesting.

G

·
I know, BUT

VTX-Factor said:
Would love to get rid of the knocking noise, but not at the expense of possible burnt valves from valves being too tight. However, you may have hit on something here. Honda may have botched it with the determination of the proper settings. Interesting.

I still wouldn't deviate from these specs because burnt valves may result. The VTX I rode next to over the weekend didnt make any noise. But with all the loud pipes around us, it may have been ticking. I know the two owners of the other VTX's don't have a clue about valve adjusting and takes them to the dealer. They don't even seem concerned or know about the valve clearances. Until some engineer from HONDA in Japan tell us otherwise, I guess we are going to have to deal with the noise(s) for now. As an electrical and instrument tech at a power plant, I always follow the specs from the manufactuer. BUT I KNOW GUYS, IT IS SOOO IRRITATING LISTENING TO THIS ABNORMAL NOISE!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts