Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
I have posted about this knocking a dozen times. To start with properly adjusted valves are nearly silent . The knocking sound in the 1300 is from the clutch basket. The basket on mine was replaced by honda and the knocking sound was about half as loud, by 150 miles it was as loud as before. My guess would be that it isn't fitted as tightly as it should be and honda isn't about to fix it. At some point I'll pull the basket and see what has to be done to fix it , this isn't typical honda engineering and is very disappointing. I'm sure it won't break but when it's time to sell it will a potential buyer think the knocking is normal?, or will they think it's rod knocking ? Thanks honda

·
Registered
51 Posts
Knock Knot???

Remove your air filter, start the bike and blip the throtle a little to different rpms and letting it come back to idle while looking inside the carb intake. What do you see and hear??? I found the knock that sounds like it is coming from the front cylinder on my VTX 1300 (2004) Hope this helps.

M

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
sorry about the signature.no insult intended at all. just a joke i alway found humor in cause is stupid. ill change it anyway. im tiered of it.
back to the knocking sound. the term i used earlier per-ignition is not describeing what is happening only what it sounds like. lets see... i can only figure that the purpose of two plugs is to create a hotter burn area for a more efficiant and faster burn. so if one plug fails to fire, combustion is happening slow in one cylinder causeing a knocking sound similar to carbs being out of sync. again this is not a definate fix. honda has not found the cause but only what has cured a few. i have not found any damage or unusuall wear that is causeing this. i will have a motor apart in the next week or two to replace the crank cases ( guy hit somthing on the freeway and knocked a three inch hole in the engine) while im in there i plan to investigate any possible cause to this sound. i suspect maybe some thing in the counterbalancer. only because the CRF450R mx bike make a similar noise only faster (higher speed engine) they had bad balancer in them. ill post what i find if any thing.

G

·
My HD Fatboy

I used to have, had a counterbalanced engine like our VTX's. But the Harley engine was really smooth riding and sounding and didn't make a ticking noise at all. I'm surprised the Honda people in Japan didn't take apart an HD 88B engine and go from there. Didn't they do that in the past? The really weird thing now is that when I had the Fatboy, I thought it ran like a Honda. Now that I have the VTX, I feel like I'm riding a Harley. Go figure. But I still love the Honda. It runs well, but just sounds like sh$t sometimes. Thanks Supermoto for researching this problem. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Honda Homecoming

Well, at 2000mi I don't have the knock, but it seems like a great opportunity for straight answers would be the VTX record ride at the Homecoming. If anyone with this issue is going, it may be worth bringing it up. Just a thought.

·
Registered
550 Posts
supermoto150 said:
i can only figure that the purpose of two plugs is to create a hotter burn area for a more efficiant and faster burn. so if one plug fails to fire, combustion is happening slow in one cylinder causeing a knocking sound similar to carbs being out of sync. again this is not a definate fix. honda has not found the cause but only what has cured a few. i have not found any damage or unusuall wear that is causeing this.
To my ear, pre-ignition knock has ALWAYS sounded like a bunch of TV tables rattling around. It is a very distinctive sound. Noisy valves are noisy ALL the time, not just when under load. The noise from my VTX is more akin to an engine with a bad rod bearing. The only plausible explanation I've heard yet relates to the clutch area. I've heard about a damper mechanism being absent in the VTX1300 before and in this thread, someone mentioned about changing the clutch basket with temporary/partial relief from the knocking.

I'd lay money that HONDA knows exactly what the cause is but as others have said, they're not likely to own up to it because the warranty costs would be extreme. Toyota took this approach when they screwed up their 3.0 liter V6 design and tried to blame the blown engines on improper maintainence by their customers. They finally had to admit their fault and some poor engineer has probably committed Hari-Kari in shame. It's a Japanese honor thing. They DON'T make mistakes. Mitsubishi hid the errors of their ways from the safety authorities and look where it has landed them. They're actually considering bailing out of North America for lack of sales according to the automotive press. When it comes to business, the larger they get, the cockier they seem to become, ie they can do no wrong. We can see where that attitude is taking General Motors.

Regarding our VTX's, I'd more likely see Honda instill a running change in production without telling anybody. So here's the question. Of the VTX's that don't make this knocking noise, how many are 2005 models? Also, are there any higher mileage bikes (say over 8,000 miles) which DON'T exhibit this knocking under load?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Knocking

I just purchased my new 2005 1300 VTX R the first week of May 2005 and it knocks in the lower end under load during acceleration. I'm not sure of the manufacture date though. I'm getting used to it but I don't like it!

·
Registered
921 Posts
I wonder if any of you hearing this knocking/ticking sounds still have your pair valve installed. I was riding with a friend this weekend...and at idle that is all I could listen to on his bike! Mine is removed and I dont have that noise. His was not and it sure makes a ticking noise, almost like a valve knock.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
768 Posts
loud knocking Thanks HONDA!! :-(

if it were valves ticking you would hear them cold max clearance and at idle not like the knocking under load (like a sloppy wrist pin,rod primary gears,counterballance gears, clutch basket) If i knew this motor was going to make this much noise i would of bought another brand and yes there are other good bikes out there besides honda THIS IS MY FIRST HONDA AND PROBALLY THE LAST and The ignorance of the teck support and dealer BS We are not stupid people!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Am I the only one to read this???

Remove your air filter, start the bike and blip the throtle a little to different rpms and letting it come back to idle while looking inside the carb intake. What do you see and hear??? I found the knock that sounds like it is coming from the front cylinder on my VTX 1300 (2004) Hope this helps.

M

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have to agree with Silvervtx04s. I firmly feel it is in the clutch basket. For the simple reason it is silent when the clutch lever is pulled in.
I will just ride it for now and if it ever needs a replacement then I will deal with.

Thomas

·
Registered
82 Posts
At idle or running the RPM's up (setting still), my bike does NOT make the knock Ive been describing in previous posts and threads. The bike only does it (ON THE ROAD - UNDER LOAD). I did at one time take the breather cover off and blip the throttle a few times. In doing so I did hear a sound (a bit like what I hear on the road). Tried taking it down the street with the cover off, but the bike wouldnt run at all this way. I thought this a bit odd in that the bike wouldnt run WITHOUT air restriction.
Any ideas on this? :?:

G

·
Like a Harley

Two pennies worth...I have owned 3 HD Twin Cam 88's (not B's). All Harley's make motor noise. My mechanic always said things like: "there is a lot of aluminum in the motor (that magnify's sound). It's out in the open, not under a hood (so you are gonna hear it). The roller bearings are noisier "- blah, blah, blah. That is why everyone puts loud pipes on 'em. i also noticed that after several thousand miles, the HD motor settled in an ran very well. Now i ride a VTX ( i have had it three days & ridden 250 miles). My first impression is that it is a well executed design of a V-twin scoot. It rides better than any HD i have owned, and the motor pulls stronger and smoother... i believe all V-twins make some noise versus a in-line 4 or a flat six. i am not excusing a possible design error by Honda, or a manufacturing tolerance flaw (why some do and some don't). i think the v-twin sound comes at a bit of a cost (vibration, etc.), but once i get the V & H Big Shots on the VTX, it will be all good! i look forward to lots of miles and if it is like the Honda scoots i have owned in the past, it will get better with the miles... :wink:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
MichaelLatini said:
Am I the only one to read this???

M
finally somebody caught it!! you sir are very very observant. very impressive. ever notice the people with the more free flowing air cleaners have quieter knocking sounds if any at all... (hint hint) i have been trying to explain this in several other threads but no on caught it. you think these cv carbs are noisy. listen to flat slides. they clatter and whisle and swoosh and buzz. thank you for new subject matter...seriously.

·
Registered
714 Posts
silvervtx04s said:
The knocking in the 1300 is from the clutch basket.

I agree with this completely. I noticed the knocking on mine coming from that area. It has a terrible clank sometimes when in heavy, slow traffic where I have to feather the clutch some. I really am pissed at Honda. The knocking and clanking is embarrassing

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
i totally agree with you 100% on that. the cush drive in the gear on back of the basket will ratle sometimes at idle. when the clutch is disengaged it will quiet up. it think these guys are talking about under acceleration with hevy load the knocking sound in the top left of the engine. not all vtx do it and some are louder than others. mine was cured by replacing the spark plugs. but i still can hear the slide rattling. but i am also running an open air cleaner so it is a little more prominant at cruising speeds. remeber the vf 750 magna. it made a similar sound under load. finally after three yaers a fix was produced. turns out the cams were not getting enough oil and were clattering the fix was to drill a new oiling port in the cam caps. it is possible this could be a similar instance in this engine. after all this only its third year in production. surely when these engine are tested they are in what honda would call their ideal operating conditions. probably didnt go out and pound on em to hard. the valkyrie some had this ghost rattle that was never found. the gl1800 gold wind makes a ticking sound that some thought were the injectors but that never fixed the sound. when customer never bring their bike to a dealer for work it lowers the odds of a technition stumbling across any possible cause for the problem. hondas research is highly based on technition input and findings. when honda starts geting multipul calls of the same problem and or several warranty claims of the same nature, they start looking into how to correct it only then will a recall campaign be issued if needed. most commonly they call it a product improvement update. honda prides itself with their reputation of quality and actually does research possible problems.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
lowinsure said:
I wonder if any of you hearing this knocking/ticking sounds still have your pair valve installed. I was riding with a friend this weekend...and at idle that is all I could listen to on his bike! Mine is removed and I dont have that noise. His was not and it sure makes a ticking noise, almost like a valve knock.

Just a thought...
Who was it Dann?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Sounds like we have some unhappy VTX owners here. I know I hear the same noise. He next time lets all go by Harleys! :shock:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well there seems to be alot of vtx's out there that are doing the same thing. And everyone seem to have pretty much the same therory, I could even swallow the clutch basket one. Mine VTX is a 2004 model retro, bought in Arizona. I woundering if this defect is geographic or is it happening everywhere. Maybe if there are some Honda Service technicans viewing this forum, they could look into it a little futher. Seems Honda has sold alot of the bikes and if I were them, I would want to keep the customer happy and buying Honda bikes in the future. I just WANT THE NOISE TO GO AWAY. I don't think it's very ovious to the passerby, but when your straddling this beast, it right in your face. EAT THE COST HONDA; IT WILL PAY OFF IN THE FUTURE WITH SATISFIED COSTOMERS

21 - 40 of 79 Posts