Honda VTX Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bought my 2005 1300C the 1st week of May didn't notice the "KNOCK" for a couple of days....... Now I can hear it even in my sleep!
Don't know if it's a regional thing, I'm out here in Colorado Springs, Co and my good friend drouse is in the same area & his '05 1300C doesn't seem to make much of a noise, if any at all. I've ridden both bikes & his seems quieter?? ............HMM..........maybe it's because mines BLACK!??(LOL)

·
Registered
34 Posts
This thread is getting long, but I've got to add my two cents. I too have the notorious knocking sound in my '04 C. I bought it used (800 miles) and took it to the dealer just before the warranty ran 'cause I wanted to be sure I'd covered the bases; mechanic blew me off saying "these engines are just noicey". Yea, right. Not really knowing what to do, I suggested that maybe the valves needed adjusting -- he gladly adjusted the valves and handed me his bill; no relief; I've changed the plugs, still no relief.

I think its outrageous that Honda is ducking this issue. I'd expect it of some other manufacturers, but Honda? (Hell I drive a Honda Accord, I have a honda lawnmowever, snowblower and motorcycle -- everything I have ever touched with the Honda name has always excelled -- never been deficient in any respect.)

I like the idea of trying to bring this to the attention of responsible Honda execs at the Homecoming. I think that a petition (email, if you will) would be helpful. I think if we could gather enough signatures (email or otherwise, we could get Honda's attention). I'm not a techie, so I don't know how to originate and circulate such a petition, but I'm willing to step up and help, if someone can give me some direction. Enough is enough. Time for Honda to step up and do what's right. I really think that if we came together (you know, sort of like "United We Stand") we could rattle some cages in Marysville. Anyone willing to join me in this crusade?

I think we should start at the top, and take no prisoners.

·
Registered
921 Posts
cool runnins said:
lowinsure said:
I wonder if any of you hearing this knocking/ticking sounds still have your pair valve installed. I was riding with a friend this weekend...and at idle that is all I could listen to on his bike! Mine is removed and I dont have that noise. His was not and it sure makes a ticking noise, almost like a valve knock.

Just a thought...
Who was it Dann?
Wasn't you Bruce...It was Dale's...Just sitting next to it you can hear the Pair Valve

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I would like to hear one of these knocking engines, I ride with a lot of Xers and I've yet to hear one that sounded out of the norm. Anyone here in Oregon or southern Washington got one and wants to meet up so I can hear this noise? Really, I would like to know what we're talking about, and how about this, since I don't think mine does, if yours is noisier than mine we can run to a dealer and say "SEE, this is the noise"

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
TeepS said:
The sound of my engine causes me no concern what so ever. What am I missing? How do I know if my X has this knocking noise?
If your X had the knock you would hear it , you wouldn't have to ask.

·
Registered
740 Posts
cool runnins said:
I would like to hear one of these knocking engines, I ride with a lot of Xers and I've yet to hear one that sounded out of the norm. Anyone here in Oregon or southern Washington got one and wants to meet up so I can hear this noise? Really, I would like to know what we're talking about, and how about this, since I don't think mine does, if yours is noisier than mine we can run to a dealer and say "SEE, this is the noise"
My name is norm, and I don't have the knock... But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. (duh, I know I got the hotel wrong :lol: )

·
Registered
128 Posts
I believe the mass approach to Honda at the Hoot would be effective. However it is easy for me to say that since I am not able to make that trip. I wish everyone going best wishes and safe riding.
Also think we should continue to make calls or letters to Honda Corp. on a regular basis until they come out with an answer.
On another note, I know a Honda tech who is highly regarded as one of the best in the business and will make a call to him tomorrow and see what he has to say, and then ask him to listen to it since he lives within my area. Will let all know if he has any revelation to shed on this subject.

Have a great week fellow riders!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My solution to knocking

I too, was suffering from the knocking problem. I said to myself, "Self, what would you do if your car was pinging and knocking?"

I decided that I'd give premium fuel a try. It worked. No more knocking for me.

I forgot to add that my buddy has a VTX 1300C, also, and he does not use premium fuel and has no knock. Now that I use premium fuel, our bikes sound identical.

Mcycle

·
Registered
768 Posts
GRR KNOCKING

I started hearing mine at 500 miles only when hot it has been getting louder ever since i told them about it at 600 when they did the service then again at 1000 then at 2000 its normal its a vtwin and its noisy and i'm ready to bring it back to them again 3300 on it now and i think if i drove by someone i think they could hear mine easily it beginning to sound more like the gm 350 diesels that blew up i really disapointed at the noise this bike makes noisiest machine i have ever heard and disapointed at honda mine is a 05 bought in dec 04

we need a poll with the following

year 2003 2004 2005 and knocking or not

ps I just got rid of a vf700 for the vtx 1300 and i know what the lack of oil to the cam sounds like when cold its not the same sound as the vtx! compairisons the 84 vf didnt have the shaft drive train clunk either it was smooth n quiet as a honeybee like the rest of the bike and my sons 750 ace is quiet no knocking even though its a single pin too i have tied different brands /octane no difference

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm back again.

I'm sure that Honda is aware of this issue. Its been out there too long and too many are suffering. It appears that they are sticking their collective heads in the sand (or somewhere else) and hoping that all of us will just put on loud pipes, go away and live with it. I'm not only concerned about the noise now -- I'm concerned about the long term damage to the engine (if any). For those who have connections with reliable Honda reps, I'd love to hear what you find out. Being the skeptic that I am. however, I'm nor sure that any of them will step up and admit there is a problem (sort of like the story of the Emperor with no clothes). Unfortunately it appears that there is going to have to be a ground swell before Honda will step up and take responsibility. (Boy, I'd love to read some of the internal memos at Honda about this problem -- and who knows, before I'm done, maybe I will.) I've never really been much of an activist -- but, this issue has really got my attention. I had the choice of buying a Harley, Yamaha, Suzuki, Victory, BMW, etc. and choose the Honda because of its stellar reputation. That's history now.

We need numbers to get Honda's attention, and as much information as possible to make our claims credible. Let's get organized and get something meaningful going. Complaining and speculating about the problem may make you feel good (for a minute), but its not going to get anything done. I need some volunteers to help me ignite this fuse.

Among the things I've thought might be helpful (in no particular order) are: (1) a letter and email campaign -- directed to Honda execs, service reps, etc. I'm not sure I can get the email of Honda's president, but I sure can get his mailing address. Having worked for years at several large corporations, I can tell you that presidents and CEO's don't like getting this kind of attention. I'm happy to collect the letters and hand deliver them at the Homecoming, if you think that would make a stronger statement; (2) a website -- sort of like the website I heard about on this baord a few weeks ago, when a fellow rider was upset with the service (or lack thereof) by a retailer in Florida -- the website would serve a public purpose -- to notify potential VTX 1300 purchaser of the issue, and caution them to factor this issue in, when deciding which motorcycle to buy; (3) similarly, hand out fliers (and/or set up an impromtu mini-booth at the Hoot and the Homecoming notifying others of this problem and/or soliciting support from others; (4) contacting the reps for the VTX chapters and solicing info and support; (5) broadcast mailing to all of the Honda clubs throughout the nation alerting them of this problem and soliciting their support; (6) taking out a full length ad in the Marysville, Ohio paper expressing our concerns and inviting Honda to do the right thing; (7) contacting state and national consumer rights organizations and solict their support and expertise; and (8) making up black T-shirts and print in bold white letters "Got Knock" -- just kidding, just wanted to see if you were still awake).

Maybe none of this will work, but it will make me feel alot better knowing that I took a shot at Honda and didn't let Honda completely get away with it.

Please contact me (and have others contact me) if you're willing to step up and put some action behind your words. If we get a good working group together, we can divide up the work and make this thing happen.

G

·
lowinsure said:
cool runnins said:
lowinsure said:
I wonder if any of you hearing this knocking/ticking sounds still have your pair valve installed. I was riding with a friend this weekend...and at idle that is all I could listen to on his bike! Mine is removed and I dont have that noise. His was not and it sure makes a ticking noise, almost like a valve knock.

Just a thought...
Who was it Dann?
Wasn't you Bruce...It was Dale's...Just sitting next to it you can hear the Pair Valve
Darn it! I thought you were talking about me.. I have not disconnected the pair valve yet.

Dann,
I think you are on the right track. I don't have a clue as to what "knocking sound" people are talking about. Sure, my bike knocks and clunks, etc.. But, I don't think it is abnormal. By reading this thread, it seems that people can not agree as to which part of the engine that the sound is emanating from. Until a source the noise can be pin-pointed, Honda will do nothing.

This is beginning to sound like the imfamous knock that the Yamaha Roadstar riders complain about.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Knockers

Met up with a fellow in my area a few days ago, to compare bike sounds. (knocks). His 2004 R - 8000 miles ....Mine 2005 R - 2000 miles. We BOTH have the SAME knock. But get this.......My knock is louder than his !!!
Go figure :?

·
Registered
82 Posts
HEY HONDA !

HEY HONDA.....JUST THINK ABOUT ALL THE POSSIBLE SALES YOUR LOSING BECAUSE OF THIS THREAD WHICH IS THE DIRECT RESULT OF YOUR LACK OF HONESTY !!!!!!!
BEST BE FIXING OUR DEFECTIVE BIKES ..................
[/b]

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
this is not the sound of a motor comeing apart. if ya whant to know what that sounds like drain your oil start the bike and hold it wide open untill it quits. there you have officially created a problem until then keep this in mind. i have said this once and i will say it again.
honda has lots of research info from their techs at dealers. we find problems and fix it we tell honda. honda does the r&d and sends out a update campaign to dealers. dealers make appointments with customers.
here is the problem. if people refuse to bring their bikes to dealers for work, how can a technition discover a fix for a problem that you cant see. if techs dont ever get a chance to call our tech line for advise, honda may not ever no there is a problem.

do you really think some white coat is standing in a room full of 1300 motors tearing them down one at a time endlessly until a problem is found. sounds to me that someone will never be happy with their bike regardless. this bike must not be good enough for us all. to bad honda held that gun to our heads in the finance office.
i played the worst game of golf ever last week end. the ball kept hoking on me. i usually hit a slice but never a hook. come to find out my ball only had 124 dimples in it as opposed to 147. you think if i call titalist they will reinburse me the $75 green fees. obviously i suck at golf because of their crappy ball desing and lack of concern for uniformity......
now how rediculous does this sound to you right now.
does it sound familiar??

·
Registered
714 Posts
supermoto150 said:
this is not the sound of a motor comeing apart. if ya whant to know what that sounds like drain your oil start the bike and hold it wide open untill it quits. there you have officially created a problem until then keep this in mind. i have said this once and i will say it again.
honda has lots of research info from their techs at dealers. we find problems and fix it we tell honda. honda does the r&d and sends out a update campaign to dealers. dealers make appointments with customers.
here is the problem. if people refuse to bring their bikes to dealers for work, how can a technition discover a fix for a problem that you cant see. if techs dont ever get a chance to call our tech line for advise, honda may not ever no there is a problem.

do you really think some white coat is standing in a room full of 1300 motors tearing them down one at a time endlessly until a problem is found. sounds to me that someone will never be happy with their bike regardless. this bike must not be good enough for us all. to bad honda held that gun to our heads in the finance office.
i played the worst game of golf ever last week end. the ball kept hoking on me. i usually hit a slice but never a hook. come to find out my ball only had 124 dimples in it as opposed to 147. you think if i call titalist they will reinburse me the $75 green fees. obviously i suck at golf because of their crappy ball desing and lack of concern for uniformity......
now how rediculous does this sound to you right now.
does it sound familiar??

That's a load of bull. I think everyone on here has had their bike to the dealer wondering about the knocking and to quote all of them "it's normal" It may be normal but it is embarassing to ride a bike that has that noisy a motor.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
my dash rattles. the glass in the mirrors buzzes. it vibrates. wind hits me when i ride it. the motor makes a sound. i put a hyper charger on it now it makes s sucking sound. sometime the brakes squeak. it back fired once last week. the transmission whines when i down shift to first at 40 miles an hour. the throttle is to touchy. the suspension is to soft, now its to hard. when i turn the idle down real low it dies.
this are the complaints i have to hear at work all day, and not just for the vtx but every bike. well guess what, SURPRISE!! its a motorcycle. you want luxury go buy a car. and guess where these guys get their info telling them these problems arent normal.
what do you expect for $9000. i hope i also speak for other when i say this but i am perfectly happy with my noisy ass motorcycle. i have no dought that it will hold together for the next 40 years.

·
Registered
768 Posts
super that sounds like a POOR QUALITY WORKMANSHIP and corporations wonder why they are loosing business i had a couple at a freedom run last weekend (note mosty harleys) and a few couples was wondering about the 1300 for their spouse after they took it for a ride and compaired it to another brand they couldnt stomach the engine noise (they heard it and asked about it) I KNOW HONDA WILL LOOSE A SALE BECAUSE OF THE NOISE MY 1300 makes and i know some 1300's are quiet compaired to mine it was a great place to create sales but they lost

didnt gm say that about their 350 diesels that blew up and the piston slap tooo dont worry its normal !!!!!

and how can you say it will last 40 years do you have documentation from honda that says it will or documentation from honda that some 1300's are noiser than others and it is normal QUIT BLOWING SMOKE!!!

41 - 60 of 79 Posts