Honda VTX Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
That's a load of bull. I think everyone on here has had their bike to the dealer wondering about the knocking and to quote all of them "it's normal" It may be normal but it is embarassing to ride a bike that has that noisy a motor.
This is true in my case I know. In fact, it was taken back 3 times last year. I stated the whole story on the first page of this thread where I also stated that I now ride it like I stole it. And guess what? Slowly but surely my knock is getting louder and louder. Maybe here soon we shall se exactly what is causing it. :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had mine back to the dealer 3 times in the first 1000 miles. At 300 miles the tech heard the noise and said maybe it's a break-in noise, bring it back at 600 miles and we will check it out. At the 600 mile service they
didn't hear anything, but I did on the way home. At 1000 miles different tech rode it and said it's carbon deposits on the piston, use Ring Free. Did that and no change. So my dealer has had it back 3 times and never said it is a normal sound. Unfortunately they have no idea what it is. Also tried the spark plug change and that made no difference.

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Supermoto 150, we know that you are tired of people complaining about the way that the 1300 sounds, and we did have a choice in the type and brand of motorcycle we bought, but I don't think any of us has said they don't like thier bike just dissappointed with the different reasons that the Honda techs have for this. My Bike is great, knocks like a SON-OF-
BI^%H. doesnt mean I don't enjoy riding. I just think that if we are taking the bikes in to the service dept to have the "Techs" look at it and they come up with some off the wall excuses( Believe Me I've heard several good ones explaining the Noise) because They have NO IDEA what they are looking for. Honda will never, ever know that we may have a problem. Now I not saying that all of the Tech's don't know what they are doing, but the ones i've encountered here in Phoenix are. Maybe A fine Honda Motorcycle Technican such as your self SuperMoto 150, would say make inquiries toward this problem and maybe you could convince your Tech Buddy's could the same, and we could come up with a fix that would earn the respect and bike brand loyality back from us lowly, whinning, derespectfull, cheap, undereducated bums that bought one of the nicest looking and riding bike in production today. We know that we are just middleclass run of the mill peasants compared to You MR. SuperMoto 150, and that nun of us should ever think that we would have the mentality to work on our own bikes, let hear a sound coming fro somewhere in the engine area. I know that in the military that if I get a soldier that can't work on my aircraft, and then HAS THE NERVE TO TRY TO BULLSHIT ME, about the maintenance, and puts my Pilots lives in danger, I won't let him near the airframe. Think about it Dude; Sorry MR. SuperMoto 150

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
i am truly sorry if i came of seeming high and might save the day tech. i really dont mean to. i have been into my personal bike on several ocasions trying to find an answer for you guys. i have been in hondas ass about this. they have been telling me things to try. i have been pro honda my whole life. i have always loved their product. hearing people say that honda wont fix a problem because they are cheap is like getting kicked in the nuts. i honestly dont believe that i am above any body and am not doughting anyones abillity to diagnose and repair their motorcycle. i am not here to beat any body down. i have tried just about all the tips i have read on this thread to try and fix this sound. i am still working on it. i am not trying to be a hero, i just want my bike to stop knocking.
i only joined this message board to try and make a few friends with some fellow vtx riders. all i get is beat down and schitt on. i give up. i have decided to do us all a favor by resigining from this board all together. seems every thing i post turns into a crap storm.
i wish to all of you safe riding and good weather. and good luck with the knock ,i hope it gets resolved soon.
-RC

G

·
RC, don't go. Don't let a few people whose egos are bigger than their bike cause you to resign. I for one appreciate all of your posts and put a heck of a lot more stock in them than some of the others I've seen. I think we are lucky to have a pro Honda mechanic who owns the same type of bike we do. Just use the principle of least interest on the wad heads.

And for those of you who would call this post a suck up, ....... well, you figure out the rest.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My 04 retro has this knock, it only makes the noise when you give it a little throttle, but when cruising at a steady speed, it seems to be pretty quiet. I remember an engine my brother and I rebuilt a long time ago. It did kinda the same thing and it turned out to be piston-slap. Wasn't there while not under too much load, but give it a little gas and the think clapped like this engine seems too. It may have nothing at all to do with this problem, but I thought I would mention it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Guys and Girls, Please don't misunderstand my last post. I was driving a point home that we are not a bunch of whinny children on this thread. I'm sure that there is just about every level of mecanical experience here and we do have some thing that is not right with or bikes. We are just frustrated that nobody has the answer and and won't admit that there is indeed a problem. SuperMoto 150, I do apologize if I came back a little hard on you, and by no means did I intend to offend anyone. I have read some of your other posts on different topics. and even found some usefull. BUT you can't expect to write a few posts like you did earlier and not expect someone to not be offended. I've taken my bike to allmost every honda shop here in Phoenix, and not one of them have had the same answer. They all rode my bike and heard the same sound (Knock), but they all had different excuses for the noise. even had one say he wish his vtx knocked like mine, yep that made me feel better :shock: When ask if they had any other complaints about the same they all did say the same thing (" NOPE"). After reading this thread in its entirety, I know that they are just blowing smoke. Maybe all of us that are having problems are from the same batch of motors; monday morning after a long weekend motor or the friday after a long week just before quitting time motor. your guess is as good as mine. If Honda would just admit that there might be a problem and that they are looking into it, might just put our minds at ease. In the meantime I'll continue to ride, lovin the looks I get as I pass by people wondering what kind on bike just rumbled past them was, having fun. No doubt that this bike will last for a long time. Again I am sorry SuperMoto 150, and thank you to the rest of the members here trying to have a blast doing something that we love. later

·
Registered
82 Posts
Screw IT !

Ok....I rolled over. Put Hk3's on along with Dyno Jet kit. Cant hear a dam thing but the pipes. And the HK's lokk GREAT. If my bike is still knocking I cant hear it. Going to ride the hell out of this black beast. As long as I have good power and no spit sputter or miss......screw it. Im just tired of worrin about it!! Just gonna enjoy the ride. INGNORANCE IS BLISS WITH HK BIG 3s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Same here. Just last week installed HK clasis straights 2.5 and cant here any noise but the pipes.
Talked with my Honda tech friend who said the noise sounded like the clutch basket and if I was to remove it would probably find nothing wrong.
He also said the Yamaha Stars make all kinds of noises and have had their own problems as well. So I ordered HK pipes from HDL and now my noise problem is no longer an issue. I will just ride like a bandit and if it ever breaks I will deal with it then. May not be what is best but it is what I chose to do.
PS I love them loud pipes, should have installed them long ago. Did not have to rejet and it does not back fire on decel, so I am happy.

Thomas

·
Registered
12 Posts
knocking sound

I'm new to this site but I remember a topic about a month ago about a knocking sound with the exhaust mounting brackets. Checked mine just now and have a loud knocking coming from there. There was a quick fix mentioned in that topic. Don't know if this helped...but hey might as well try!

·
Registered
194 Posts
The fix for the noise - follow these steps. Guarranteed !!!!

1. Remove windshield
2. Wear full face helmet
3. Change oil to 20 W 50
4. Ride like hell

Guess what - engine noise gone. No ifs, ands or butts.

JJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Think I found the problem

Well I think I found a solution to the bottom end noise. See if this makes sense. I had bought a set of american straights from e-bay 2 1/2 in dia. I installed them and fired it up. Boy is it loud. still could here the valves tapping so I let it cool off and readjusted the valves, took care of that. started it back up and sounding good decided to take it for a ride. listen for the bottom end knock that I would normally have loudly at this point into a ride, but there was no noise. Nada, zip, nothing. just the sound of the mellow pipes at cruise, and the bellow of the engine. Heres my fthought; the original stock pipes were propucing soft of a back pressure enough to create the clacking at the bottom of the engine. ????????? don't know, but the noise is gone. I have a new found love for the way my bike sounds now. Anyway just thought I would share this with all of you

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
knock

I have a 1300s and it also knocks, a friend just picked his up new, it is an 05 it is louder than mine, I am a mechanic at a golf course, we have equipment that have kolher 16 hp engines, they have a knocking sound like the honda, when they were torn down for rebuilding and inspected the cause was the balance gears. on some they had two, others one. the gears were streight cut, you could wiggle them back and forth. two much clearence in the gear cut----- I agree WE ALL SHOULD START A PETITION AND SEND IT TO H.Q. IN JAPAN WITH THOUSANDS OF SIGNATURES STATING WE ARE SICK OF THE BULLSHIT FROM THE DEALERS HERE IN THE U.S.A.-----------FIX OUR BIKES----------ACE

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to hear one of these knocking engines, I ride with a lot of Xers and I've yet to hear one that sounded out of the norm. Anyone here in Oregon or southern Washington got one and wants to meet up so I can hear this noise? Really, I would like to know what we're talking about, and how about this, since I don't think mine does, if yours is noisier than mine we can run to a dealer and say "SEE, this is the noise"
I do. mine just started to get my attention. I've only had it for 3 weeks or so. 2006 1300.

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
This thread originated a few days before I joined the VTXOA.
I never knew they had a knocking problem.
6 months later I had those HK 2.5" pipes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to hear one of these knocking engines, I ride with a lot of Xers and I've yet to hear one that sounded out of the norm. Anyone here in Oregon or southern Washington got one and wants to meet up so I can hear this noise? Really, I would like to know what we're talking about, and how about this, since I don't think mine does, if yours is noisier than mine we can run to a dealer and say "SEE, this is the noise"
My name is Mark Brandt and I have a 2009 vtx 1300 r and it knocks I would love for you to hear it I live in Hillsboro Oregon

61 - 79 of 79 Posts