Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three times in past 4 or 5 rides now I have noticed my Transmission slipping in 5th Gear during passing.

I could be rolling along at say 65 or 70 and get on it to pass a car etc., and when she normally grabs and gets it, she instead slips and takes maybe 3-5 seconds before it feels like she is back in the game pretty solid again.
Disturbing the first time. Quite worrisome the 3rd time.
Looks like I'm possibly in for a bunch of Bull**** in the near future?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Three times in past 4 or 5 rides now I have noticed my Transmission slipping in 5th Gear during passing.

I could be rolling along at say 65 or 70 and get on it to pass a car etc., and when she normally grabs and gets it, she instead slips and takes maybe 3-5 seconds before it feels like she is back in the game pretty solid again.
Disturbing the first time. Quite worrisome the 3rd time.
Looks like I'm possibly in for a bunch of Bull**** in the near future?
It's not the transmission your probleme is from the clutch normally it's from the spring of the push plate

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
The effect is most noticeable in 5th gear. You need a new clutch. As mentioned, transmissions don't slip. Unless it's slipping out of gear, and then it's either go or no-go, but never slipping. A clutch OTOH, will do exactly what you are describing. I would replace with either Barnett or MTC. I replaced mine with Barnett and it worked well. Most here like MTC.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since I had been in the gear for a while in all occasions I was not sure if it would be the clutch but it sounds like it is.
Is replacing it a major task?
I do like doing my own work when/if I can.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
this is a VERY common problem

Honda put weak clutch springs .. in all 1800's.. since 2002.... and many have this problem since 2002...
some as LOW as 5,000 miles..

I replace my springs and frictions at 45,000 miles...

parts were on my shelf for a couple of years just waiting for the FIRST SLIP...

currently at 89,000 miles.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Since I had been in the gear for a while in all occasions I was not sure if it would be the clutch but it sounds like it is.

if you have the Honda service manual... its on the forum for free, download it

I can replace a VTX1800 clutch and springs in under 1 hour... at 69 years of age.

you may do it in 2 hours..

I view it a very easy job.
<< NOTE.... do NOT go over on the clutch springs BOLTS... go easy here.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Replacing the clutch is straight forward. Suggest downloading the shop manual and follow step by step. Also you might roll the bike onto a couple of pieces of 2x6's and leave the bike on the side stand then you won't have to drain the oil before removing the engine side cover. Soak the new friction rings and steels in engine oil overnight before assembly. Lastly, the bolts holding the assembly together are prone to snapping from too much torque. Replace with a higher grade and use a torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
replacing the clutch is straight forward. Suggest downloading the shop manual and follow step by step. Also you might roll the bike onto a couple of pieces of 2x6's and leave the bike on the side stand then you won't have to drain the oil before removing the engine side cover. Soak the new friction rings and steels in engine oil overnight before assembly. Lastly, the bolts holding the assembly together are prone to snapping from too much torque. Replace with a higher grade and use a torque wrench.
use a torque wrench!

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
i agree it sounds like the clutch

one i did had a burnt smell to the oil..like a campfire
it was the clutch plates

one i did just slipped with no smell
thinking it was the clutch springs because the lever pull was very easy.
i couldn't close it up without doing the plates and springs but the plates looked pretty good compared to the new ones and no smell.
probably just springs but just a guess.

·
Registered
343 Posts
if you have the Honda service manual... its on the forum for free, download it

I can replace a VTX1800 clutch and springs in under 1 hour... at 69 years of age.

you may do it in 2 hours..

I view it a very easy job.
<< NOTE.... do NOT go over on the clutch springs BOLTS... go easy here.

Let's be fair to the OP Chuck: I bet you somebody could send you a truckload of individual loose VTX parts and within a week you'll have a complete bike, running better than it ever did before, and that with one hand tied behind your back.

:grin2::wink2:

Just some other 69-year old admiring your abilities.
:grin2:

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Let's be fair to the OP Chuck: I bet you somebody could send you a truckload of individual loose VTX parts and within a week you'll have a complete bike, running better than it ever did before, and that with one hand tied behind your back.

:grin2::wink2:

Just some other 69-year old admiring your abilities.
:grin2:
I do not wish to disrespect anyone..

if you do a type of job over 20 times.. you can do it in your sleep..
over 50 years of wrenching .. will force you to learn something :)

:nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd:

at the age of 13,,, I worked in a gas station... wrenching on cars..
18 I started on Honda motorcycles... dealership mechanic.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Is this common in 1300 also?
No Sir, it is NOT...

expect normal life the the 1300 clutch.

my opinion
Honda put weak clutch springs in the 1800 clutch....for the white collar folks behind a desk.
:grin2::grin2:>:)

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If you're low and slow and alone, like me, it will take you hours (~6 for me start to finish), like it did me.
But I include in my time the prep work, such as prepping the cover edge for the seal-a-gasket.
But it's not complicated or difficult. Just time consuming.
Watch and read what you can to have a good sense of what needs to be done. Have the tools and materials required at the ready.
You'll be fine. And you'll get a real satisfying sense of accomplishment when you're done.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts