Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you know I had a accident in September of last year. And had to have a lot of hardware put into my right ankle. I had been up and riding around for a few months now but lately I was feeling some pain while laying down and moving my leg around. In my last follow-up appointment with my orthopedic surgeon I found out I broke a screw. The break was right in the middle of the outside bone. Which I believe is what was causing that pain. So I scheduled a second surgery to have that and one other screw removed that was another potential break risk.

They made it sound like it was going to be a quick in and out procedure and I would be back up and walking on it that day.

When I got there it seemed the nurses had one idea how it was going to go and the doctors had a different idea how it was going to go. Of course the doctors over ruled the nurses so I didn't get a nerve block before they put me under and then when they woke me up the nurses informed me that they were right and ended up having to give me a nerve block during the surgery. The also informed me that's the surgeon ended up having to pull more hardware out than they intended. But I couldn't get anyone to tell me what else they removed.

It's been almost 24 hours since the surgery and I still have zero sensation in my foot and can't get it or my toes to move. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing and I'm super frustrated about this whole thing.

Here is a shot of the broken screw.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
Dayum Man that looks gruesome. Sitting here scratching my head though, wondering how a stainless steel or titanium screw could break without you also breaking the bone around it. Or at least subjecting it to a tremendous amount of trauma. Screws just an eighth of an inch thick should have enough of a shear strength value to support several hundred pounds.
Anyway, I wish you the best and hope to hear soon that you're feeling in your foot again, and you're back on your bike.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
Prayers and wishes for s good recovery!

Reactions: leroys73

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the nerve block started wearing off late yesterday into the evening. As it did I started getting more control over my foot. About the time I was ready to go to bed I was able to walk on it without the assistance of crutches. It is sour from the surgery but nothing so bad that I've needed to take one of the pain pills that the prescribed me. Here is hoping things continue to improve at this pace.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Holy crap, Batman! You must be a strong man if your tibia can break a surgical screw. Wow.
Glad you are getting more control over your foot but remember, keep your weight off of it for now. And no riding for you. :(
Crossing fingers for you that you recover fast.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, they warned me that it could happen but made it sound like it would be further down the road like months or years. I wouldn't have imagined that it would have happened so soon. Something else that was interesting is that I couldn't have told you when it broke. and after it broke it didn't cause pain in the situations that you would think it would Like walking or pivoting. It really only bothered me when I was laying down on my side and moving my leg to a different position. It had been happening for a while and at my last appointment with the surgeon, it was my intention to discuss thoroughly removing those 2 screws because I didn't want to risk them breaking. As they walked me into the office with the X-rays up on the screen I looked at it and could immediately tell that one had broken & thought I bet that's what the pain is that I've been feeling. So far after the surgery, I haven't been able to feel that pain anymore so I'm thinking that I called it.

I get to take the bandages off tonight and see what incisions they made. That will be interesting.

Reactions: rangers4u
1 - 6 of 6 Posts