Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a charcoal grey X and am thinking about powder coating the pipes, light, rims and some other miscellaneous parts. I have looked at Jet Hot but not too sure how much it will cost. I have also found an aerosol that is called Thermal Kote that I could use at home but would have to cure it at 400 degrees. I could get a used stove for cheap to bake on the paint but not sure how I could get it in the stove without scraping the paint. Any ideas on how to "murder" my bike out?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I have a charcoal grey X and am thinking about powder coating the pipes, light, rims and some other miscellaneous parts. I have looked at Jet Hot but not too sure how much it will cost. I have also found an aerosol that is called Thermal Kote that I could use at home but would have to cure it at 400 degrees. I could get a used stove for cheap to bake on the paint but not sure how I could get it in the stove without scraping the paint. Any ideas on how to "murder" my bike out?
I can tell you right now you can't powder coat your light. It's plastic and powder coating will only adhere to metal. It's also at a minimu 360 degrees I believe. I just finished doing some parts and just used a rattle can gloss black paint and some automotive clear. I used it on my forks and turn signals. I had a guy locally powder coat the triples and by the time I was done reassembling the bike, i had lots of chips and scratches. He just did it out of his garage too so that's also a big part of the quality. I know nothing about an oven for baking the paint on, but I think you can get some good results just going the simple route. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Talk to your local powder coaters. It's not terribly expensive. I had my rims, rotors and brakes done for $300 and that included tearing everything down and reassembly. That was at a local bike shop.

I also had my lowers fork tubes and bars painted and cleared. My headlight is painted to match the tins.

Here's a pic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the advice! I am offshore right now doing a pretty long hitch. I've got about another month before I see some dry land and I'll be sure to start on this project. I'll post pictures when I'm done!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts