Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Honestly i wouldnt try to powder coat your brakes, if that is what you are looking to do, from what you said in a previous post.

Thats the only thing other than downshifting that helps you stop. just imagine doing 60 or so and having your brakes slip casue you powder coated the brake rotors.

Id have someone just polish them

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Laz,

That was my fear too, but the guy I asked said the brakes take the powder off the area they touch. He said he has done it before with no problems and he has his bike blackened too.

I checked around the web and all the powder coaters offer the service. But, most are pricey. I was hoping to find a local deal plus avoid shipping charges.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
i dont understand, if you powdercoat them, then when you use the brake the powder coat comes off???? so your going to have the rotor powdercoated but then a little strip where the brake rubs that comes off????

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
If its something you want to do, i would check with some sportbike shops, alot of them down here are doing powdercoating, for the rims and acc of sportbikes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again Laz,

I wanna try to get everything done soon, so I can make it to HDL ride next month. Bike is currently all apart. I was proud of myself for even being able to jack the bike up to take off wheels and get to rotors by myself!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
VTXLAZ said:
i dont understand, if you powdercoat them, then when you use the brake the powder coat comes off???? so your going to have the rotor powdercoated but then a little strip where the brake rubs that comes off????
Yup. Just look at the rotor on the front of your bike. You can see the strip where the pads hit. The rest would be his color of choice. I had my rotors polished last summer and they were pretty slick for the first hundred miles or so after I reassembled. I actually sanded the outside perimeter of the rotor so that I didn't have to wait so long for the pads to re-seat. One option might be to somehow not powder coat that area to begin with. I wouldn't want to rely on my brake pads removing the powder coat material for me. I can't imagine what your braking would be like while that is going on. You may even have to replace the pads in that scenario.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
i understand if you polish them , that yeah you might have some dull area where the brake pads grab on, but if you powdercoat it, lets say black, its going to be all black and then an area of just nothing.. i guess i am overanalyzing the situation

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Laz,

I just received this from a company in Key West....

We will coat your rotors at $42.00 each plus shipping (approximately
$15.00.) This will be in a single coat of a solid color. It will be
necessary for you to have the rotors turned when you get them back to remove
the coating on the brake pad swept surface. This way you will have coating
protection every where except where the pad rubs so that you will not get
rust.

It appears your bike is in Miami so we would recommend a two-coat process
which will give you a zinc-rich epoxy primer coat and will produce an even
better protective coating for the marine air. This is what we do here in
the keys for the best protection possible. An epoxy primer adds 40% to the
price.

Any idea what it means to have your rotors turned????

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yeah
you grab them with both hands and you first turn it away from you, then you blow on it. You then turn it towards you and you do a little dance while you turn around........lmao sorry i had to

I have no idea

·
Registered
92 Posts
turned

to have them turned is like straightening a warped rotor. it takes of a very slight amount of the surface that the pad comes in contact with. have had it done with car rotors but never motorcycle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts