Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know where to come to get the best advice. This place has no equal....
Here is the question. Should I install the PC111 or have a tech do it? If so where is the best place and position to mount it?
Should I download a map from their site or have it mapped? Any tips on installation...? Your comments advice and experience is appreciated..

Dan

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Danc49 said:
I know where to come to get the best advice. This place has no equal....
Here is the question. Should I install the PC111 or have a tech do it? If so where is the best place and position to mount it?
Should I download a map from their site or have it mapped? Any tips on installation...? Your comments advice and experience is appreciated..

Dan
Easy to install yourself

Get a map done. I've been running a downloaded map. It's ok but I'm getting a custom map made tomorrow...

·
Super Moderator
63,767 Posts
Easy to install, one wire to tap into, others are plug-ins. Do NOT use the "Vampire" type wire taps that are in the PC3 box. Solder the connection, those clips are known for cutting right through the wire causing a short and improper operation. 8)
Like this

·
Registered
346 Posts
Danc49 said:
Should I install the PC111 or have a tech do it? If so where is the best place and position to mount it?

Dan
You can do it. (If I can, anyone can. :? ) Mounts under seat or on side of tool box w/velcro suplied. There are a myriad of maps available from the dynojet site or www.bareasschoppers.com. Find a map that fits your configuration and give it a shot. Most important, do like Spike says. Tap the designated wire and skip the clip. Best in the long run if you want to upgrade or remove it entirely. I didn't do this and had to go back in to solder.

Do it...there are too many here to help.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep....I am going in. If I can't do this I AM useless like my wife claims...:)

Thanks for the quick response folks....

Spike.....a how to picture is a worth a thousand words....at least for me.

Now mapping.....If I download a map that is not exactly right but close will she run OK. What will a custom m ap cost me? If its giving up just another 2 horses I will pass on the custom. Am I right or wrong?
I put on 3" HK's Big Straights an d with a stock box and she is popping like the Red Sox after game 7 of the WS. If I roll off the throttle quick she just gears down with a slight pop. When I am just holding steady she surges a bit an d pops real good. In fifth coming down is a nightmare....I had cops draw their guns...:)

What advice.....? GP block off plates and de-smog is done. Pipes have been torqued down on new crush gaskets. Running 4419's. What would be the n ext move.....PC 111...RIGHT? What does a custom map go for?

Dan

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
forget HP and torque, what a custom map gives you is smooth ridability the bonus is HP and torque :!:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I have no choice but to go for a custom map because I am looking for that smooth ride if that is what it will take. Without getting raked over the coals what am I looking at......again not having a choice. At least I will know where the pain is coming from.....the knife in my back from...ahem...the "BOSS"....so she thinks. :)

Dan

·
Registered
390 Posts
Danc49 said:
I put on 3" HK's Big Straights an d with a stock box and she is popping like the Red Sox after game 7 of the WS. Dan
Not to be anal but they only played 4 games. :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Xpress,

Just found out you are not a Red Sox fan ...:) As far as Boston fans go the Pennant against NY WAS the WS.... ;-)

Cheese...I am right outside Philly.

Dan

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok....

The PC 111 is in and operational. No problems and as advised soldered the grey wire and pigtailed it. I loaded a map from the PC site and the bike sounds and runs good. Now...I have heard people say just because she is running good it may not be ALL good. The braintrust here made the install really simple. Now....

what else should I check for to make sure all IS well....not just seem well.

Thanks,
Dan...

·
Super Moderator
63,767 Posts
I think what you are asking is "Yes, the download maps are good and make the bike run good. But is there anything I can do to make it better?" ...maybe?

If the bike is running good with a map you found than it should be fine. The map came from someone else's PC3 and their VTX, so yours will be OK on that map as well.
BUT, it can get better than that by having a good tuner make you a custom map for your bike, as each motor is somewhat different and every map is not a "One-size-fits-all". Sure a guy that wears a Large t-shirt will fit in a XXL, but he would feel soooo much better in a shirt that is his size. Same with the motor. 8)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spike,

I am going to go for a after market air box..guess I should wait until then ..right?
How about the plugs..should I read them also.....

Dan...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Johnnycheese said:
forget HP and torque, what a custom map gives you is smooth ridability the bonus is HP and torque :!:
That is a testifiable FACT... I just got mine done today (thanks Johnny) and the difference is very evident. Done correctly a map will make a difference.

Check this out- With 0's in the PCIII, V&H Bigshots, and a CDS airbox the bike was running rich. The curve was "lumpy". Not smooth. That's with 0's... I had always thought that the stock ECU would make it run leaner once the intake and exhaust were opened up. Apparently not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts