Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just wondering if anyone on here is using a power commander 5 on there vtc 1800c if so, what model # is it .....I don't want to order the wrong one and how do you like it?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just bought an R with some sort of power Commander and I don't like it at all. I see no benefit and the deceleration popping is terrible. I will be looking to go back to stock. I would be interested in trade perhaps.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Okay, thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I just bought an R with some sort of power Commander and I don't like it at all. I see no benefit and the deceleration popping is terrible. I will be looking to go back to stock. I would be interested in trade perhaps.
The decel popping can be controlled somewhat depending which model Power Commander you have. Can you give us more detail of the model presently on your bike?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Can you tell me where it would be situated on the bike? I'm guessing the ECM and the commander, whatever brand it is, is under the seat? I downloaded the manual but have not found it yet, I thought it would be in chapter 17 or 18. Before I hit the road in the morning I'm going to take the seat off and see if it's under there. Then I can let you know if it is. Thanks very much for the help.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Can you tell me where it would be situated on the bike? I'm guessing the ECM and the commander, whatever brand it is, is under the seat? I downloaded the manual but have not found it yet, I thought it would be in chapter 17 or 18. Before I hit the road in the morning I'm going to take the seat off and see if it's under there. Then I can let you know if it is. Thanks very much for the help.
Before you remove the seat check behind the left side cover that houses the box with the tool kit. If it's a PCIII it'll most likely be there, in the box.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Will do, and will report back. Thank you.
You are correct Sojourner, left side cover. Looks like it's a Power Commander 3. Connectors are all pretty well covered with protective vinyl / rubber. I didn't really see how it's connected in.

IMG_20210404_124410315.jpg
IMG_20210404_124344917.jpg
IMG_20210404_124242484.jpg

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
You are correct Sojourner, left side cover. Looks like it's a Power Commander 3. Connectors are all pretty well covered with protective vinyl / rubber. I didn't really see how it's connected in.

View attachment 187903 View attachment 187901 View attachment 187902
I see that it is a unit you can connect your laptop to if you want to change the settings on the existing map. The USB plug is on the side of the unit. Either you or a dyno shop can do this. You and I had the same issue with decel popping that was more than just annoying and I was able to dial out the problem. Go to Powercommander's website and download their app. for PCIII. With the map up on the computer screen you will see a vertical column labeled "zero". This is part of the throttle positions where you are able to change the fueling. In this column only, starting at 1500 rpm, change the numbers in the squares up to redline (6000) to the number "30" and save the map.
Take your bike for a ride and see if anything has changed.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

View attachment 187903 View attachment 187901 View attachment 187902
Your pic #187903 is showing a red "vampire connector" in front of the large gray connector. It is attached to a wire going to the ECU. Is there another wire coming from that red connector?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Your pic #187903 is showing a red "vampire connector" in front of the large gray connector. It is attached to a wire going to the ECU. Is there another wire coming from that red connector?
Are you referring to the little red connector pointed to by the red arrow? And the ECU is the box marked with the blue X? I will look and see what I can see.
Thanks.
Jim

vampire.png

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Yes, that little red connector is a serious problem over time. It starts to sever the wire it taps into and causes all types of headache. It is best to actually solder that wire into place.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Are you referring to the little red connector pointed to by the red arrow? And the ECU is the box marked with the blue X? I will look and see what I can see.
Thanks.
Jim
Yup, I believe that connector was supplied by PowerCommander. If a wire "T's" off of that connector then your PC is connected to the throttle position sensor located at the throttle body. This connection has proven to be a weak link and has caused owners to experience a number of problems with the smooth running of their motor.
The cause of the problem is the TPS wire to the ECU eventually gets cut through by that red connector via bad design and vibration from the motor.
The fix is to remove the connector and hard solder the wires together. Even if you decide to remove your PC you'll still need to repair the damage done by the connector.

View attachment 188143

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks Sojourner. I think I will take some time to study this. Also I see a lot of mods (pair valve, desmog, scar mod, neutron mod) that may be connected, plus getting some SS washers under the acorn nuts on the exhaust. I want to understand what each of these is and how they might play into the decel popping. I will fix that connection either way. I'm more leaning to keeping the PC III in, and just learn how to program it, after reading your info here.

Thanks, off to study.

Jim

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, that little red connector is a serious problem over time. It starts to sever the wire it taps into and causes all types of headache. It is best to actually solder that wire into place.
Thanks Harkon, I have my soldering station, so can do that.

Jim

·
Registered
381 Posts
My personal opinion is if you use a Power Commander 3 or 5 is put it on the dyno with some one who knows how to tune. Every bike is a little different so one map doesn't fit all. Otherwise bike runs better with out it.

:{)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
The decel popping is a result of super-heated unburned fuel that exits the cylinder head on every exhaust stroke and comes in contact with oxygen. This happens mostly on deceleration. If the fuel/air ratio is right the unspent fuel will combust. Find the air leaks be it at the exhaust gaskets, the PAIR system or the makeup of the exhaust system where the pipes slip onto each other. If you have an unbaffled exhaust system that's considered a "tuned" exhaust then air can be pulled up the pipes after each exhaust pulse and bang.
The solution is to change the fuel/air ratio on "zero" throttle so it's too rich to fire off. The PC allows you to do that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts