Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I got a 2002 Honda VTX 1800c awhile ago with about 20k miles on it. The only "upgrades" it really had done to it was V&H pipes and a power commander 3 tuner. I was wondering how much work it would be to remove the Power Commander 3 module so the bike just runs how it normally would stock because ever since I got the bike, my MPG has been pretty terrible, even on trips where I'm doing mostly freeway miles and getting roughly 26-28. I guess my real question is whether it's the Power Commander that's causing the poor MPG or my speed on the freeway. For anyone who's familiar with the Power commanders, My current setting I have on the PC3 is 1 bar under stock on low range, zeroed (stock setting) on mid range, and 1 bar above stock on high range. I do also live in Utah where the limit on the Interstate is 80mph and on my most recent trips I was cruising along at about 85-90, mostly just to keep up with the flow of traffic, and from what I've read, these bikes seem to run a little high in RPMs at those speeds, so I'm not entirely sure which factor is the bigger cause.

·
Super Moderator
64,385 Posts
STOP RIDING THE BIKE NOW!!!! There is a Fuel Pressure Regulator, or FPR, that is known to fail on the early models and this will allow too much fuel into the combustion chambers and the excess will wash down the cylinder walls and into the engine case and thin the oil. Check your oil for it being over filled or reeking of fuel. Replace the FPR, $30 part, and change the oil and ride around the block then change the oil again. This problem has been known to cause the main bearings to fail from the thin oil

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
These days the FPR is more likely to be closer to $50, but thats not bad at all. BTW, most who adjust their PC-III adjust to eliminate de-cel popping, and that is recommended to richen the bottom end at these settings: 2,0,0. Remember to remove the black disc on the back of the FPR as it's only there to protect the O ring before use.

Reactions: Merry Prankster

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
241 Posts
STOP RIDING THE BIKE NOW!!!! There is a Fuel Pressure Regulator, or FPR, that is known to fail on the early models and this will allow too much fuel into the combustion chambers and the excess will wash down the cylinder walls and into the engine case and thin the oil. Check your oil for it being over filled or reeking of fuel. Replace the FPR, $30 part, and change the oil and ride around the block then change the oil again. This problem has been known to cause the main bearings to fail from the thin oil
I have this same problem now so I ordered the fpr and will do the two oil changes. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi everyone, I got a 2002 Honda VTX 1800c awhile ago with about 20k miles on it. The only "upgrades" it really had done to it was V&H pipes and a power commander 3 tuner. I was wondering how much work it would be to remove the Power Commander 3 module so the bike just runs how it normally would stock because ever since I got the bike, my MPG has been pretty terrible, even on trips where I'm doing mostly freeway miles and getting roughly 26-28. I guess my real question is whether it's the Power Commander that's causing the poor MPG or my speed on the freeway. For anyone who's familiar with the Power commanders, My current setting I have on the PC3 is 1 bar under stock on low range, zeroed (stock setting) on mid range, and 1 bar above stock on high range. I do also live in Utah where the limit on the Interstate is 80mph and on my most recent trips I was cruising along at about 85-90, mostly just to keep up with the flow of traffic, and from what I've read, these bikes seem to run a little high in RPMs at those speeds, so I'm not entirely sure which factor is the bigger cause.
For sure doing the fuel pressure regulator on a 02 model is a good place to start just did mine on my 02 c model with 36000 t on it. I have never gotten better than 33 mpg with it, but I am heavy on the throttle. And high Highway speeds cut mileage on my bike way down. Recently did a 200 mile ride all two lane and under 65 mile per hour and was really surprised to get 43 mile per gallon. Big motors suck gas at higher speeds. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
241 Posts
Well, the poor mileage was the first red flag because it dropped from something like 30 mpg down to like 26 in a matter of two tankfuls with no change in my riding. Then when I checked my oil, it seemed kind of thin and though I don’t smell any gas and it wasn’t over full, it just made me suspicious, along with the poor mileage. Plus the fact that I have an ‘02C I ought to replace the FPR. have about 40K on the bike.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
One can get real crappy mileage heavy throttling.
I could achieve about 22 MPG, but if I ride nice, low 40's.
50 plus in Colorado Stock.
How much do you think I get with my warp drive?

Reactions: Merry Prankster
1 - 10 of 10 Posts