Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting ready for work this morning and went to start my 2003 VTX 1800R. It was a little sluggish to start as it sometimes is. It will do this sometimes then start right up. This morning all power cut out right in the middle of trying to start. Do not see any fuses blown but not much time to check. Any suggestions on what could be the problem. Suspect something simple.:cry::cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
12 Posts
No crank

Check ur ground cable under ur motor next to the oil filter, make sure it's snug, do not over tighten, part of the motor casing. Make sure ur batt terminals r tight. If that's okay the problem is most likely ur batt, u could boost with a car battery, make sure the cars NOT running and b very careful that the pos. Not touch the frame, use a rag. that will determine for sure if it's a batt. Issue short of having a AVR tester. Ps when the bike is running, throw a volt meter across the posts, u should have over 13.8 volts at least

·
Registered
988 Posts
VERIFY you have a GOOD battery......sluggish starts suggest a weak battery..possibly use a battery tender to keep battery charged.....even though a volt meter might show full voltage if the crank amperage is below full capacity you get a sluggish starter...........check battery terminals....use a wrench and not a screwdriver...................ESKIMO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Believe the battery is good. Went from strong electrical to nothing, like I took the battery out in the blink of an eye.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Believe the battery is good. Went from strong electrical to nothing, like I took the battery out in the blink of an eye.
The main fuse is under the left side cover. Also, there's a plug connector near the main fuse with red wires attached that tend to burn open. I would check that area closely. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
I was getting ready for work this morning and went to start my 2003 VTX 1800R. It was a little sluggish to start as it sometimes is.
There should be zero sluggish - it should crank over strong and fire off in 2 sec or less.

Do you have meter to do voltage drop test?
While cranking it.
If plug wires were pulled off plugs to prevent starting - how long will it crank strong?
A good 7 sec w/o slowing down is fine.

Meter would show voltage of this attempt to prove battery has the Amp reserve.
I take it you are not there right now to do further tests. Anything below 10.5v -
replace battery.

The next inspection - the bundle in Dust Boot ahead of battery - from ignition switch.
Check the white 4P connection plug - pull it apart - does it look new -
or tan/brown from amp leakage - trying to be a toaster oven.

With key on - charger on -
test bundles along the way from key plugin on out -
to see if loose connection reveals itself.

Reset loose female blade connections to make solid forced fit when plugged back in.
This is huge weak point in most all connection plugs.
Shove a skinny micro blade screw driver down into female port connections of plugs.
Force the female blade connections almost closed.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Let me assure you that a battery can go open in a heart beat.

Two 30A main fuses on the left side fuse panel.
One for all lights, fan and starter relay.
The other fuse for FI system.

A test meter will remove all doubt.
A quick touch with a screwdriver across the starter relay positive battery cable to the
starter motor cable will bypass all switches and safety devices.
DO THIS IN NEUTRAL ONLY.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
a one year old battery..... on my bike this summer... internal break in the power buss.. full power to Zero.... well 14 months old. NO Warranty... so New battery...

a slow to crank IS THE FIRST SIGN of battery TROUBLE.. unless bad connection...

just because it cranks.. does NOT mean the battery is strong to start engine.... just turn it over... have it LOAD TESTED.. a 100 amp test... ASK...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Charged battery. Charger shows green battery reads static 12 volts.
ground checks good.
fuses all good. Double checked with meter.
ignition switch checks good with meter.
not even enough power for instrument lights.
removed Shrekwrap and checked wires visually and plugs with meter.

Could the battery show static good charge but the bike give every indication no battery even in bike?

·
Super Moderator
64,002 Posts
Charged battery. Charger shows green battery reads static 12 volts.
ground checks good.
fuses all good. Double checked with meter.
ignition switch checks good with meter.
not even enough power for instrument lights.
removed Shrekwrap and checked wires visually and plugs with meter.

Could the battery show static good charge but the bike give every indication no battery even in bike?
A new battery can show fully charged and yet when it tries to start something....nadda. Take the battery to NAPA and have it tested

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
consider the green light as stating the voltage is there... like a glass of water.. but only one drop of water.. NOT a glass full. = USELESS.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Can't Believe I left out -
Test with Jumper Cables before going through all the dead ends of checking everything else.
Phil, it because We answer the same questions hundreds of times... and are loosing track... over and over and over again.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::D:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts