Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a cigarette style power plug so I can charge my phone/GPS while riding. I have a battery tender cable attached directly to the battery, it has a 7.5 AMP in-line fuse and terminates with the SAE two plug connector. My cigarette type power port also has the mating SAE two plug connector. I can measure 12.5vou at the cigarette plug. So far so good. Next I plugged in the charger cable that came with my Motorola DROID phone. It lights up and when I plug in the phone it shows that it is charging. After I started he bike I noticed that it was not working anymore so I took apart the Motorola charger and found that there is a 2 AMP fuse inside of it that has blown. What gives? Do I have to plug in devices only after starting the bike? Please advise, thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problem Solved... after a couple of trips to Radio Shack.. This is what I did wrong... I bought two identical battery tender cables that have the in-line fuse and the 2 socket SAE plugs what I did not realize is that the red crossed over to black and visa versa. Long story short I had reverse polarity at the cigarette plug. My bad.

·
Registered
12,062 Posts
I use Red and Black to mark polarity on wires and pc board areas.

#1 rule: The battery side +12v connector lead has to be insulated.

Glad you found it without blowing something up.
Reverse polarity protection is a good thing!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts