Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see... when April 2009 rolls around, gas will be like $1.15/G copared to a year previous at $3.60 when a mad rush was occuring at motorcycle places nationwide. By August 2008, you couldn't get a new, brand name scooter around me. My local HD dealer was sold out of Sportsters. No bikes under 750cc were to be had at my local Hon/Yam/Haw/Suz dealer and most of them were 1300 and up. 125's and 250's were commanding a premium with a waiting list 3 months long even before that.

I remember seeing an increase in scooters on the road starting last spring, but don't recall seeing hundreds of new Sportsters.

Currently, they're having a hard time giving away those Chinese scooters in my area, even new ones.

I expect by Spring to see lots of used Chinese scooters on the market, where they will probably stay.

As gas drops to $1.15G, I expect to see lots of smaller CC bikes on the chopping block as well. Could eb that people hang on to them one mroe season, but with some of the losses people are taking now, I expect a huge used market offering come spring.

I won't be in the market, espcially not for a Chinese scooter or a 125 or 250. We may see rock bottom prices on used ones, but with no buyers.

Got any predictions?

·
3,915 Posts
well yeah, I agree. We are already seeing the price of the x dropping.

asking prices are still high but, actual sold prices for a used 1800 with 10 to 20K miles are SELLING for $4500 to $5500. I am looking for a good used German car. the model I want was $18,000 sold$ (on average) 3 months ago, Now I'm looking at $14,500 avearge sold prices... and there are a lot available. $3500 in three months

A sign of the times. May be a good time to buy a second bike if you have the scratch:dontknow::dontknow:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't think you will ever see $1.15g gas. OPEC is dropping production to get the price back up. In the last week oil has went back up to $40 a barrel and gas has gone from $1.52 to $1.85 with only a $3 increase in oil per barrel price. I t will be back to $3 a gallon or better by summer you can bet on it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I see at least $2+ gas by Spring. People who just bought and those who are smart will hold on to bikes, so used prices will stay steady. Buy now over winter if you want good prices on bikes.

Part of the problem lately is that people think that they get their money back on accessories...YOU NEVER DO! Accessories are made to customize the bike to how you want it, and don't greatly affect book value. You want to get that money back? Strip the bike to stock and sell them on eBay.

·
Registered
79 Posts
+1 Drako1. I don't understand how we Americans forget so fast. I for one never forgot about the oil embargo of the early 70's. In my area there was a period of time when you could only buy 8 gallons at a time and had to wait in line for that. For a while GM, Ford and Chrysler focused their R & D on efficiencey, but by the 80's they began producing the huge gas guzzling vehicles that are so popular. I can't imagine driving a vehicle that gets 11-15 miles to a gallon. To me that's irresponsible no matter how much money you make.

Gas is down to 1.40 in my area. A lot of people don't seem to remember that a year ago gas was close to 4.00 a gallon. One of the local car dealers said that sales on F150 trucks was up since the price of gas has gone down. There was even one car dealer who said in a commercial that people shouldn't pay that much attention to the economic news, that it's not really as bad as the media makes it out to be. He said now is the time for people to go out and buy a new ride. What an idiot.

I just think we as american citizens need to be responsible. Riding your bike to work and to run errands, etc. is an excellent way to be a responsible American. The price of gas could jump back up to 3.50+ a gallon just as quickly as it fell to 1.40. We in the motorcycle community should feel good about what we do. Yes we do it for our own pleasure, but at the same time it is very patriotic. As a whole we are conserving a tremendous amount of energy and are also earth friendly.
That's all I got to say about that.
Jack

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I don't think you will ever see $1.15g gas. OPEC is dropping production to get the price back up. In the last week oil has went back up to $40 a barrel and gas has gone from $1.52 to $1.85 with only a $3 increase in oil per barrel price. I t will be back to $3 a gallon or better by summer you can bet on it.
:agree:

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>I don't think you will ever see $1.15g gas. OPEC is dropping production to
>get the price back up.

Yeah that might make a temporary bump as oil closed higher at the end of the year, but it wasn't too many months back when Ahmadinejad of Iran could bump oil up $20/barrel just by talking tough and threatening to close the Straits of Hormuz by sinking his own ships.

And yes there is middle east conflict now, so temporarily there will eb some skewing of the market.

>In the last week oil has went back up to $40 a barrel and gas has gone
>from $1.52 to $1.85 with only a $3 increase in oil per barrel price.

We saw gas go up from $1.31 to $1.40 over the last few weeks, but now it's back down to $1.33 in my area.

>It will be back to $3 a gallon or better by summer you can bet on it.

That's what buying and selling of stocks and futures is for - betting. I disagree and think we'll see lower gas prices in the near future. The future will tell who is right.

Let's resurrect this thread in mid-April and see.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
>The price of gas could jump back up to 3.50+ a gallon just as quickly as
>it fell to 1.40.

Probably not any more than housing prices will rebound quickly or Dot coms will be back in vogue in the fninacial world. It all depends on how much meony people lost betting that gas would top $200/barrel like all the big finanical guys were predicting last summer.

Since the price of oil has nearly nothing to do with the amount of oil left in the earth and everything to do with political goings-on, market speculation and manipulation, and refining capacity, it'll be interesting to watch what happens this spring.

And as you may know, Iraq is developing plans to let private interests develop oil fields to double cpacpity in the coming years.

Of course, things will depend allot of what happens between the Palestinians and Israel and whether or not Israel decides to go after the real culprit, Iran and whether or not the US decides to help squeeze Iran from the bottom in Iraq and the side in Afghanistan.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
gas has dropped steady in price since the election up here in the PNW. Its currently $1.63 for reg.... hasn't gone UP in price at all since it began dropping. I'd like to see $1.15 a gallon, but I'm skeptical, more because I think the morons we all just elected will promptly raise the gas tax, then because I think OPEC will have even a minor effect. I'll be pleased if fuel stays below a buck eighty a gallon.:D

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
What I'd like to see is being everyone was/is accustomed to paying $2+ a gallon... that our wonderful frugal government should raise the gas to lets say $2.00-$2.50 a gallon take the $1+ a gallon tax and pay down the trillions of debt... get the japs, chinese, germans & the list goes on OUT of buying up OUR COUNTRY and feed the social security system so I/WE can retire w/o having to work at McDonalds or Walmart to survive!

Ohhh and while I'm ranting... lets stop putting millions of kids on some ADD/ADHD disability so they can get a SS check every month for the rest of their lives... again costing us billions to fund another government system that has gone amock.

OR how about anyone crawling into OUR Country pregnant just to have a baby who is now an 'American citizen' born to illegal imimgrants with all the rights of our legally born children. I feel for you brothers down on the TX, NM, AZ, CA borders whose hospitals can't afford to stay open because of the Free Child Birth and become an American Citizen Program!

And we wonder why people want to come into this country?

Sorry for the rant... back to the topic... Gas is under $1.40 here... it won't stay that long... I'll say once the heating season is over... BANG gas prices will start to climb. OPEC knows now that Americans can and will spend $4.00 a gallon for gas... so this is just a winter, "We'll help ya out" attitude.
Once the heating fuel oil starts to drop off... my best guess will be increased gas prices.

Unfortunately Americans have a "S" word stamped on their heads...

Stupid or Suckers

Wishing All a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Who cares about resell value if you are not selling.:dontknow: Just makes me want to hang on to what I have. Although I just got back from visiting the local HD dealer. Lots of nice bikes at high prices.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't think you will see anything mid level or low price range bought this last year going up for sale. I do think you will see more and more of high priced bikes bought from the 300 mile a year riders up for sale as the job market gets worse.

I know Craigs list is flooded with low mile HD's now.

its not just a gas price thing people are making less money and the cheap transpo will be still looking good.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Gas $1.30 here. Chinese scooters are everywhere. 7 people from work bought bikes or scooters in July. 4 bought Chinese scooters, 1 bought a 250 Ninja, 1 bought a 500 Ninja and 1 bought an HD 883, not because they like to ride, but because gas was so high. Out of those 7 bikes, I predict to see 5 of those bikes for sale this spring,(The 4 Chinese scooters and the 500 Ninja) unless gas rises over $3. My prediction is to see gas prices around here at $2.25 by Memorial weekend and even higher by July 4.

BTW, I said to all the Chinese scooter buyers at work, "IMO, those Chinese scooters are junk". So far, only 1 of those has had problems. I'm betting the other 3 will have problems starting and running when they pull 'em out of the garage this Spring.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Ohhh and while I'm ranting... lets stop putting millions of kids on some ADD/ADHD disability so they can get a SS check every month for the rest of their lives... again costing us billions to fund another government system that has gone amock.

Wishing All a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
I can't speak for your area of this great land of ours but what you say about ADD/ADHD kids isn't true in my part of the country. I should know, WAH and I have a child with ADHD.

Also as the kids grow older most doctors say the kids learn how to focus better and are not a burden on the rest of society.

Maybe you should check your facts before spouting off how it is for the whole country.

Tejas

G

·
Saw gas today at $1.28 in Boiling Springs, SC. Probably the cheapest I have seen.

Our manager in our Ohio dealership called to tell me that he just got the new used Black Book and HD's were down 40% from the last book. Ouch!

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
Have not seen much difference in bike/car prices here yet.. Even our gas is still over 1.65

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I can't speak for your area of this great land of ours but what you say about ADD/ADHD kids isn't true in my part of the country. I should know, WAH and I have a child with ADHD.

Also as the kids grow older most doctors say the kids learn how to focus better and are not a burden on the rest of society.

Maybe you should check your facts before spouting off how it is for the whole country.

Tejas
All I know is a school teacher said "We feel your son has ADD/ADHD and if we "label" him with it he WILL BE ENTITLED to SS benefits for the rest of his life!"
So we told her... Thanks but NO THANKS... we are not going to enable our son to rely on government assitance for the rest of his life. We felt that would be a dis-service to him in the long run and we stand/stood by that choice.
He is know 32 and a productive member of society who has a job and pays taxes. We did not want a 'free loader' laying around the house playing video games waiting till the 31st to walk to the door and get a check.

(Also over time as the kids grow older most doctors say the kids learn how to focus better and are not a burden on the rest of society) Agree... BUT If they are still getting SSI they are a burden!

Ohhh and Tejas? Believe you me... I too could have been "labeled" ADD/ADHD if they had that crap when I was growing up!
But back in my day.... your old man was allowed to come into school and 'straighten' you out if you screwed up in school. Today... sad to say your old man would end up in jail.
So instead of "labeling" your kid as an Troubled Adolescent as they did in my day... they came up with something called ADD/ADHD and started medicating the kids... so now we have kids walking around taking prescription drugs like candy... making drug companies more profitable then ever before... it's the new nicotine.

Hey Tejas... you should have seen how quick my ADD/ADHD went away when I saw my Dad come into the class room to administer his medicine.:thumbup:

And like you... I don't have any clue about your neck of the woods... I do know about mine and the costs associated with it. But being a government program... I couldn't amagine it would be differant from state to state

My biggest problem with social programs are... they all had good intentions... then after they hired thousands of folks to run them and realized they don't work... they employ too many people to just end the madness.
Just like the Garden State Parkway... when it was gonna be built they said it will be a toll road till it's paid off... well 50+ yrs later we still have tolls... why? because it employs thousands and thousand of people. But I will say in defense of the GSP... it is one of the best maintain roads in the state... then again it should be ;)

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
ok.... on the original topic.... what is the concensus of opinion on how much I should price the 1983 Honda Shadow VT750C I'm going to have for sale. It runs, has clear title, fresh paint job(I'm working on that now), new mirrors, new aftermarket turn sigs, and a miniwindshield(not sure what brand). I have pics of it stock, and will have pics of it repainted, so even though its not yet seen, any suggestions?:dontknow:

·
Registered
4,030 Posts

Tejas
I understand your feelings. The difference is that you are a responsible father that has a kid with ADD or ADHD.
There are thousands of welfare queens that know how to milkthe system and get SSI for kids with behavoral problems that get Doctors or Psychiatrist quacks to diagnose them with a mental disorder and then get the kids put on Gov asssitance.
I saw a report several years ago about "Crazy Checks" for kids. It was mindnumbing the people that abuse the system when people that have real needs can't get them met without years of beaurocratic hassles.

I have a Masters in Engineering and I have ADD by the scorecard diagnosis method. My son is in 4th grade and in the "Gifted" program.
He makes excellent grades and goes to the gifted school one day a week for advanced learning. He has ADD. I understand your troubles.
We work through this and don't take meds. I just hope we can continue withut them. I know they help but we are trying to avoid them.

Best of luck Tejas and I hope all goes well with you and your son.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts