Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,

I'm new to the group. Recently, my uncle passed away and left me his 2002 VTX 1800 retro. I know its a great bike that he took excellent care of. I've always been interested in bikes and I've been riding for a few years, but I've never owned one. Not sure what to do to prepare for winter. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!
Sam

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
First of all, welcome. Do you know the service history? That will help you decide what fluids need to be changed now or in the Spring.

Check air pressure and set to 40/40.
Wash and wax bike and let thoroughly dry
Add appropriate gas stabilizer and fill gas tank
Store in a clean, dry space, place on trickle charger and don't start until Spring but think of it often and visit occasionally :D

Others will chime in, there's a list around here someplace.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Also, many people say to change the oil before you put it away for the winter, rather than in the spring.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Welcome to the best place on the inner webs. At the very least, stabilize the fuel and if you don't have a trickle charger pull the battery and put in your basement off the concrete of course. I also like to stuff a rag into the end of my exhaust so critters cant nest inside. I do more checking and changing come first ride in the spring. If you haven't been to one, make sure you leave Wednesday nights open for bike night at Quaker steak and lube come next season:thumbup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wngd has it right

Not only are these bikes the most fun in town, they are relatively easy to care for as well. I don't know how many times throughout the winter I find myself in the garage sitting on one and dreaming of summer! LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys very much. I will keep my Wednesdays open next year.
I thought you were suppose to start it up and run it for a bit every few weeks in the winter? If I'm mistaken, I'm glad you told me!
So on my list...
tire pressure
wash and wax
gas stabilizer
battery trickle charge

I'll search for another thread about winterizing, but if anyone has any other input it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks for the warm welcome! bike.jpg

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Leave tank full. DON'T start over the Winter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts