Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
Sorry to disappoint, did not have to look anything up.
IMHO, it does not apply in the situation I mentioned.It is more meant for estimation of task duration based on one's expertise level. Which, btw, is also heavily abused and misunderstood.
I deal with a lot of project management at work so I see lots of great examples weekly.
What was your desired application of the DK effect?
You are the application of the DK effect.
Seems you've been diagnosed Lou. :ROFLMAO:
This thread finally got interesting. Frankly, overthinking a wave was way too boring.

Let's please explore this some more.

Is Lou an application of the Dunning-Kruger effect, or is he just confident in his knowledge and abilities?

Is it possible that someone who applies the DK effect to another so hastily (my perception) is himself an application of the DK effect?

Reactions: RBS and DrDolittle

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Is Lou an application of the Dunning-Kruger effect, or is he just confident in his knowledge and abilities?

Is it possible that someone who applies the DK effect to another so hastily (my perception) is himself an application of the DK effect?
We will never know!! :D

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Seems you've been diagnosed Lou. :ROFLMAO:
This thread finally got interesting. Frankly, overthinking a wave was way too boring.

Let's please explore this some more.

When people start telling you how smart they are, the DK is the first thing that pops into my mind. From what I've read most of us are guilty of it to some degree, so I was just trying some humor poking at Lou to see what reaction would come of it.

Unlike Lou, I don't wish I was born a dumbass, 'cus I know in the big picture I already qualify. It's when you think you're smart you're in trouble....

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
Nothing is what it seems. You get it?
I see, the counterpart to "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". Now I do get it .. :D

"Nothing is what it seems" is too absolute for my taste. "Sometimes things are not what they seem fits my taste better, but I do get what you were saying:)

Reactions: RBS and fastspek

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
When people start telling you how smart they are, the DK is the first thing that pops into my mind. From what I've read most of us are guilty of it to some degree, so I was just trying some humor poking at Lou to see what reaction would come of it.

Unlike Lou, I don't wish I was born a dumbass, 'cus I know in the big picture I already qualify. It's when you think you're smart you're in trouble....
I see.

I'm certain we are all guilty to some extent. After all, how would one know their own limits if they didn't have, at least some, false confidence.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts

I cannot claim that I am smart. Why? Because I am a dumb schmuck who has a job and works for a living. Truly smart people don't.
Oh wait, maybe I have that a little wrong. It's the sneaky ones who don't work for a living, leaving the others to work. Never mind.

But we could still debate the philosophical aspect of intelligence: is it better to be dumb and oblivious or smart and unhappy?
Taking it even farther: do you think the dumb and oblivious individuals would choose to be smart and unhappy if presented with that chance? And do you think the smart individuals would prefer to become dumb and happy?

·
Registered
469 Posts
When did a wave to acknowledge another rider become some low two finger wave crap! What the hell is wrong with a genuine "hey, how are you wave?

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
But we could still debate the philosophical aspect of intelligence: is it better to be dumb and oblivious or smart and unhappy?
Taking it even farther: do you think the dumb and oblivious individuals would choose to be smart and unhappy if presented with that chance? And do you think the smart individuals would prefer to become dumb and happy?
The phrase, Ignorance is bliss is only valid as long as the specific ignorance hasn't yet resulted in suffering, or the ignorance isn't of something pleasant, such as ignorance of visual beauty, if someone is blind.

The question, "is it better to be dumb and oblivious or smart and unhappy?" incorrectly replaces 'ignorant' with 'dumb' when these words are not synonymous. It also falsely generalizes that one can't both be smart and happy. Most of us understand that ignorant people can be happy and unhappy and so can smart people. Happiness isn't dependent on ignorance and a total lack of worry about learned concerns others may be ignorant of.

As for one choosing between being ignorant of things that will increase worry/unhappiness, or choosing to learn of worrisome and potentially happiness challenging information, humans exhibit both of these choices all the time. We choose to learn of bad news, while some choose to avoid it at all costs. If I were to generalize, I would say that those who choose to stay ignorant suffer more in the 'long run' than those who choose not to stay ignorant.

It's another topic, but one way man has deviously managed to keep himself happy in spite of learning all manner of unhappy leaning is through self-delusion.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
do you think the dumb and oblivious individuals would choose to be smart and unhappy if presented with that chance?

And do you think the smart individuals would prefer to become dumb and happy?
In both cases the word fulfillment comes to mind. :cool:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
HOP, Once again you have opened up the forum with a topic that should inspire a lively conversation between members. Sadly, it has not. Thank you anyway. The wave signifies a common bond between riders. If you are riding in the outback of Australia and only pass one bike in the day you are morally obliged to wave. Here in town or close by when you pass lots of bikes in the day you would not wave. Yes there is something very primal about "the wave" We are herding creatures and like to gather with those most like us. Hence, the 1% ers seek out others who think in the same way as they do and form clubs. Golfers like to drink with other golfers etc. Also happening, from those who dont wish to let go of the bars, is "the nod" This is also acceptable. Sometimes I am in my own world inside my helmet and am late to acknowledge another rider. What exactly is the "two fingers down wave?" I know the two fingers up wave means of course "get pharqued" but I have never seen or heard of the other.

·
Registered
2004 VTX C 1300 Red, Cobra pipes, K&N, Jetted, Dennis Kirk Solo Seat, Memphis Fats, 6800 miles
19 Posts
When did a wave to acknowledge another rider become some low two finger wave crap! What the hell is wrong with a genuine "hey, how are you wave?
I agree, I know there is a certain biker code thing to wave or acknowledge each other when out riding, but seriously, I sometimes don't see the other biker coming the other direction in heavy traffic.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts