Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my craftsman motorcycle/atv jack a little over 2 years now with no problems until recently. The jack...she's a no jacking anymore :evil: (yeh, I can't get it up). I called sears and they can't do anything without a receipt. Guess what, no receipt. I can't believe it's shot already. I've done some mods and oil changes, but I doubt I've used this more than 20 times in the last two years.

Anybody have a problem with these? Anybody fix one of these?

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Sorry to hear of the trouble but you need to ck the fluid and ck the release make sure it is closing if not you can pump all you want with no effect

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
I had one of those, same issue... Got the Better Alum one.

·
Registered
996 Posts
all the above is true

Several things you can do:

1. Check release valve, make sure it's closed
  2. Check seals, if leaking, replace seals
  3. Buy any other pnuematic pump and replace that pump (pretty standard size, but may have to drill mounting holes in the baseplate)
  4. Scrap it and buy the craftsman yellow jack, more expensive but better
  5. NEVER, NEVER use it as a stand....only to lift and lower onto a stand. That is the #1 cause of the red jack failing.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
+1 on the fluid levels. This next comment may not help you out any, but...well, never mind. I was going to say that Sears used to be real good about taking care of tools that bore their brand, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Several things you can do:

1. Check release valve, make sure it's closed
  2. Check seals, if leaking, replace seals
  3. Buy any other pnuematic pump and replace that pump (pretty standard size, but may have to drill mounting holes in the baseplate)
  4. Scrap it and buy the craftsman yellow jack, more expensive but better
  5. NEVER, NEVER use it as a stand....only to lift and lower onto a stand. That is the #1 cause of the red jack failing.
Hope this helps.
:roll: Guilty :oops: I got a bit lazy the last time I swapped out my rear wheel. Left it up longer than I anticipated.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I don't know if this may be your problem, but I bought one of these used. Works great, but I found the welded brackets that hold the jack itself to the unit tend to get bent out so that the jack doesn't sit right. In my case it was going down. I was able to just tap them back into proper placement with a hammer.....but may need to be re-welded at a future time. So check that the hydraulic jack it'self is not wobbling out of alignment.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know if this may be your problem, but I bought one of these used. Works great, but I found the welded brackets that hold the jack itself to the unit tend to get bent out so that the jack doesn't sit right. In my case it was going down. I was able to just tap them back into proper placement with a hammer.....but may need to be re-welded at a future time. So check that the hydraulic jack it'self is not wobbling out of alignment.
Not the problem, but thanks. I think it's a seal. The hydraulic pump just has no ooomph.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Not the problem, but thanks. I think it's a seal. The hydraulic pump just has no ooomph.
You might not be dead in the water just yet.
My 2003 m/c lift (Kobalt, foot pedal up and foot pedal down, no longer offered by Lowes) suddenly stopped going up. I just finished using it and was in disbelief. So after close inspection I decided to make sure the down valve was actually disengaging, did that by spraying some WD around the area and working the down pedal. After that it would try to go up but didn't have any pressure behind it to lift. I let it sit for a few days kind of wondering if I was going to get a new or try to fix the old. Decided to at least get the jack off it and see it there was an adjustment behind the sealed area that said do not adjust:D.
Before I could even get to the jack the return spring needed to be removed and right after removing that spring for some reason I reached out and grabbed the lift frame and cycled it up and down about six times.
Right after that I checked it and hydrulic pressure had returned. :dontknow:
It's back to raising bikes. Don't know what happened really but thought I would put this out there for you and others in the same boat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts