Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the history... I bought my 2005 Neo over a year ago in August of 2014. The person that sold it to me, had let the Neo set up for two years in his garage without even starting it, never drained the gas, he charged battery then put it up for sale. He was up front and open about this. It started up fine, and I road it around in his neighbor hood and it seemed to run fine. The Neo at the time had 9500 miles on her. So I bought and trailer-ed it home. The first time I filled it with gas I noticed how rough it looked inside the tank, not rust or flaking stuff, more like a discoloring of the inside. When I first started riding, a couple of times the Neo would start stalling at high speeds, I would slow down and it would clear up. So I ran two tanks of Sea Foam and after that it ran like kitten, never had a problem for the next year of riding, until lately.

Now the present problem... I recently changed out the stock turn signal relay for Kisan SM-1234 for automatic turn signal cancelling. I didn't do any other wiring except for just changing out the relay. Everything was working as it should for a few weeks, but a few of us headed to the bike rally in Galveston. I was riding my Goldwing and my cousin was riding my Neo. Everything went fine until we ran through a rain storm. After that the problem with the Neo started to happen and it was bad.

It would run a few miles and then start stalling, after pulling over to the side of the road and let it set there idling (it would idle really rough for a few minutes but clear up) we could run for a few more miles (The Neo would run like there was nothing wrong.) Then it would start stalling again, pull over let idle, clear up and another few more miles, over and over, this never got better. So I switched over to the Neo and let my cousin ride my Goldwing. I turned the Neo around and headed home, babying it all the way back. The problem never got better, run for a few miles start stalling, pull over for a few minutes, idle rough, clear up and then off again for another few miles.

Could it be the Kisan signal minder? I guess the only way to know is to change back to the stock signal relay.

Thanks Guys.

·
Super Moderator
63,566 Posts
"Stalling" = running on one cylinder?

If yes, then tighten the battery cables and then do the Ground Fix as seen on the How To board. Seems when water was introduced it got into a connection and caused short. When the heat of the engine dried it it ran fine

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Check if the "FI" light is flashing

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ground fix done? When I did the fix on my Neo, I went so far as to add a 15" ground strap (Autozone around $6) from coil base to coil base and used grounding washers. Also I would check the fuel tank vent tube and be sure it isn't clogged or kinked. I had the exact same problem on a 1300 (I know they are different) but the tube got kinked and the tank wouldn't let fuel out because it wouldn't let air in. Kind of like the vent hole you would put in a can so it would pour correctly. 5-10 minutes and she would die out...wait then fine for a bit again.
HTHY and good luck!!

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Is it still stalling not in the rain? I have a neo with a hyper...very heavy rain did cause some water ingestation. Ground fix and kinked fuel lines (I had one as well and acted like vapor lock) are good causes as well. Doesn't sound like you blew a fuse (an indicator of bad wiring). Good luck.

Bull

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I would say that if it just happened. that you may have a dirty fuel filter. If it started because you were riding through the rain, I would think it sounds electrical. Make sure all connections are okay, and water tight. To me it sounds like something got wet and created a high Z connection. Even drying it out won't solve the problem. You will need to find the connection and properly clean it. I would start with the battery terminals. Then I would look at whatever you changed when you installed the relay. Make sure everything has a solid a good connection. It may be unrelated to either of these and if it is then I'd start checking anything that can get wet, and then anything that probably wouldn't. Also, if you had a lot of nastiness in the tank, as a preventative, I'd look at giving the fuel system a good once over.

Good luck

·
Registered
662 Posts
Gas line?

If the tank was removed at any time check the routing of the fuel line , it should go around under the frame , some will re-install it over the frame (which is easier) but it will kink the line , the longer you run the hotter it gets and will eventually kink enough to cause stalling. when it stalls quickly remoev the gas cap , you may hear a gurgling sound !

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys, I have read all your comments carefully, and I will do everything you suggested. I will let you know what I find. I considered bringing my Neo to a shop, but decided against it. Shops are good or bad, and besides I enjoy working on my bikes myself and learning. So I will get started on it in a week or so.

Right now I have another bike project I am working on, my oldest bike and have had her for years now, my '03 Retro and it runs great, never let me down. I ordered the blanks for doing the De-smog and installing the Woody's fairing, plus other things on her. I have been putting off finishing this project for way to long now, I was a little nervous about cutting steel, never done this before. I need steel to make customized mounting brackets for a Goldwing trunk bracket and mounting A-1 hard bags on the sides. A motorcycle custom place offered to do all this for me, but with a $3000 dollar price tag, and I thought no way. So I bought a high powered Bosch jig saw, and an angle grinder (never owned one of these before). Then I got the nerve up to cut the steel, and found what the heck this is easy. The Bosch jig saw cut through 16 gauge flat steel like I was cutting through ply-wood. I am fully bagging out my Retro, but on the cheap side, just hope it all holds together. :oops: When I am finished I will post pictures.

Anyways, thanks again everyone for your help, you have been great.

Once again VTXOA proves the old cliche.... "You meet the nicest people on a Honda." lol :p

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, I have read all your comments carefully, and I will do everything you suggested. I will let you know what I find. I considered bringing my Neo to a shop, but decided against it. Shops are good or bad, and besides I enjoy working on my bikes myself and learning. So I will get started on it in a week or so.

Right now I have another bike project I am working on, my oldest bike and have had her for years now, my '03 Retro and it runs great, never let me down. I ordered the blanks for doing the De-smog and installing the Woody's fairing, plus other things on her. I have been putting off finishing this project for way to long now, I was a little nervous about cutting steel, never done this before. I need steel to make customized mounting brackets for a Goldwing trunk bracket and mounting A-1 hard bags on the sides. A motorcycle custom place offered to do all this for me, but with a $3000 dollar price tag, and I thought no way. So I bought a high powered Bosch jig saw, and an angle grinder (never owned one of these before). Then I got the nerve up to cut the steel, and found what the heck this is easy. The Bosch jig saw cut through 16 gauge flat steel like I was cutting through ply-wood. I am fully bagging out my Retro, but on the cheap side, just hope it all holds together. :oops: When I am finished I will post pictures.

Anyways, thanks again everyone for your help, you have been great.

Once again VTXOA proves the old cliche.... "You meet the nicest people on a Honda." lol :p
Have fun with the Retro. I always wanted to turn a NEO into a batwing bagger. Raked with an oversized (21" or 23") front wheel with a baloney skin tire and full Klock Werks tire hugger fender.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have fun with the Retro. I always wanted to turn a NEO into a batwing bagger. Raked with an oversized (21" or 23") front wheel with a baloney skin tire and full Klock Werks tire hugger fender.
Thanks Harkon,
My experience in customizing a bagger like this is absolutely zero, so I am winging it all the way. I have made some mistakes along the way but it is still a lot of fun.

I bought a Pepsx motorcycle stand suggested by Spike, and it is nice. I have the Retro setting on it, making it really easy to work around the bike and it is steady as a rock on this stand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts