Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 03 vtx1300r. I've had the bike for two years now and done routine maintenance. The pipes are stock but when I had bought the previous owner did the Clayton mod. The bike has always done a backfire/popping upon decel in second. Now it is sounding like I am shooting a cannon out of the pipes at cruising speeds. Not upon accelarating just holding constant. I thought maybe it was the spark plugs and changed them again. This had no affect positive or negative. I asked my local dealership and they told me to rid myself of the problem I'd need to purchase new pipes, a jet kit, and a better air system. I don't know if they just want to make some serious money off me or if that will end this issue. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Also is it harmful to the engine in any way?

·
Super Moderator
64,122 Posts
Try the exhaust acorn nuts and see if they are tight. 17ft/lbs on them only but they have worked lose on many bikes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Do you get a strong smell of gas? Do you get flames from the exhaust?

Check exhaust gaskets, make sure carb is seated securely, check charging system, make sure battery cables are connected tight, i can't remember if these bikes have crank sensors or not - maybe it jumped time?, check the coils, how old is the gas?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I bought an 03 vtx1300r. I've had the bike for two years now and done routine maintenance. The pipes are stock but when I had bought the previous owner did the Clayton mod. The bike has always done a backfire/popping upon decel in second. Now it is sounding like I am shooting a cannon out of the pipes at cruising speeds. Not upon accelarating just holding constant. I thought maybe it was the spark plugs and changed them again. This had no affect positive or negative. I asked my local dealership and they told me to rid myself of the problem I'd need to purchase new pipes, a jet kit, and a better air system. I don't know if they just want to make some serious money off me or if that will end this issue. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Also is it harmful to the engine in any way?
I did the clayton mod on my 08r. Had the same issues so I installed v&h cruizers, re jet and k&n filter. Total cost was about $650 ( I had my bike shop re jet). Well worth the money if you can swing it.

Spike is spot on re acorn nuts. That might solve your problem with no $$.

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Exhaust leak at head--sounds like gun shots. I lost a exhaust nut once, that got my attention.
Bro n law had the two rear muffler bolts fall off the top pipe(HK), that worked the exh pipe gasket = loud explosions.
Snug up the Exh pipe nuts by the head as C-S mentioned.

If you do the PAIR valve mod you would most likely lose the decel pops also...

·
Registered
609 Posts
NoMatter what you do.. .
stay away from your local dealership
and when you figure out and fix the problem
go back to the dealership and ask the sales man if he wants to buy a knuckle sammich for $ 895 .
or two for $ 1500 . :laugh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts