Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have gotten over my head on this, so bear with me. The jet i am after is the needle jet within the vacuum chamber correct? I figured I would be able to figure it out as I went with the tech directions and the manual. I have managed to strip out two of the screws to the vacuum chamber! I am now getting worried as I said I am getting in over my head. Can someone help me out. Am I in the right spot, any suggestions on getting the screws out. :oops: Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
You want to remove the 4 screws on top of the carb to get to the slide and the needle. You might try a small pair of channel locks or a pair of needle nose vise grips to remove the stripped out screws. Replace them with stainless allen head screws. Be careful not to puncture the vaccum seal, even a pinhole will ruin it.
You will need to remove the needle holder in the slide. Use a socket and extension, it should turn about 1/4 turn easily when you push down and then come out. Remove the needle and place the prescribed number of shims (washers) under the needle. Raising the needle will richen the midrange. Depending on your intake you MAY still be lean on the top end. Trim the tit on the needle holder short. Trim the spring and then reassemble.
Pictures of carb rejet here.
http://vtx1300tips.com/vtx1300tips.htm# ... ngroadbike

I'm sure that some of the real experts will post a better reply.

I didn't actually do the scar method but had to do the same process to install my jet kit. Don't feel bad I stripped a screw on the bowl of my carb changing a the jets. I couldn't get to it so I had to tap it loose using a flathead screwdriver and a hammer, chisel style. Be very careful if it comes to this.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I took a file to my screw driver and flattend the tip a bit, really helped to get a better bite on the screw.

the jap standards and the US standards are different when it comes to philips screws, the jap is a little flatter and the point of the US standard is a bit sharper.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I agree that once you get it off you should replace the screws with allen screws. I did this with the float bowl scews as well, now I can change jets or needle settings without removing or loosening anything but my hurricane intake and the covers themselves.

4mm allen head screws-$.45 a peice
Changing jets in 5 min.- Priceless :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If you have a hammer driver with Phillips head, the steel in those bits is quit a bit harder than the standard screwdriver.. plus the knurled/large handle on the driver gives you good leverage to press down firmly and twist out the screw... if this fails get a helper and see if they can "hold" the carb firmly while you lightly hammer (hammer driver... make sure it is in the "unscrew position") and work the screw loose, then turn by hand... Another option would be to cut a "notch" in the head of the screw with a hacksaw blade and use an appropriate flat blade screw driver..last resort is removing the carb and placing it on a soft piece of wood and hammer/drive the screw out with slightly more force. (Brass screws on the Mikuni are the worst :( )

When you have them out replace them with SS Allen head screws and you won't be going through this again.

Good luck.. don't "gorrilla" attack it..

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
You need to "seat" the Phillips Head Screwdriver into the screw's slot and make sure that the blades of the driver match the screw slots VERY well- almost perfect-so that it won't want to slip. Then you put an amazing amount of force straight down on top of the screw with one hand (Maybe even lean your body weight into it.) while you use your other hand to hold on to whatever you are driving so you can "feel" any movement if you start to slip. It's important that you are stable and balanced. Turn the driver slowly as you apply the dead force downward. Concentrate on not moving the driver anywhere but downward into the screw. Those thinga are torqued pretty good so plan on it being a bit tough. Take your time...slow steadty pressure. Since you stripped out the others, you can get a dremmel or a hacksaw blade and VERY carefully, cut a slot across the middle of the stripped screw head- not a deep cut, but enough to get a Standard Screwdriver blade in there and remove it that way. Take the original screws to your favorite hardware store and get some Stainless Alan-head screws that match. Good luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much I got em, I really am glad you guys are here. I was so surprised at how easy everything came apart, i striped the screws and panicked. I m on my way to the store now to get the Allen bolts and some washers. Thanks again, You guys rock!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts