Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replied to this in an old thread, but thought I would try here as well.
Bike 2006 VTX1300s.
Purchased October 2011 with 5600 miles
Now has 17000 miles.
Starts first time, every time when cold.
Starter drags or bogs down completely on first attempt to start when hot.
Sometimes, resets trip odometer.
It has always started, but make several attempts sometimes.
Problem seems worse not that the weather is hot.
Battery terminals cleaned and retightned.
Recently fixed broken black wire going to 22 pin connector, no effect on problem.
Makes me crazy, always wondering if this will be the time it quits starting at all.
Is a new battery worth a try. This one supposed to be now on bike when purchased, and has date etched on top of it.
Is starter switch worth a try?
Both of these are relatively simple (I am simple) and not too expensive.
Any Suggestions??

Thanks

Wayne

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I think I would pull the battery out and have it cheched for a bad cell
:agree: prolly time for a new battery... Our bike acted just like yours and the battery was the fix.

Sam's Club had one in stock when I was in a pinch looking for a battery... 2yrs still going strong

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
In my area, Autozone will charge and test for free. I would do that first. I would also clean and perform maintenance on the starter/headlight switch. Also I believe you should put your headlights on a relay, instead of running all of their current through your starter switch. This will prevent your starter/headlight switch from arcing and burning up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My bike did the same thing when I first got it and it was the battery. Like everyone else is saying get it tested putting a volt meter on it will not work you need to take it some place that can put it under a load and test the cranking amps.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Bad battery or bad connection. Also clean up the grounds on the front coil on that 06.

·
Registered
10 Posts
replace battery

Had the same problem. Had the battery checked and they say it was OK. Then just replaced the battery and fixed the problem. Also have 2006 vtx c - bought used and I suspect it was the original battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Starter Problem Persists

Well, I fixed the broken wire in the 22 p connector, stabilized the ECM, ICM, or which term is most correct. Got the new connector ends at the local Honda shop. That took care of the cutting out sputtering problem. :cool:

Replaced the battery yesterday, dealer said it was broken on the negative terminal side. Starter still works great cold, but requires several tries to get it to turn over the motor and start when hot. :evil:

My work around currently is when the motor has been run and is hot, hit the starter button for just a split second once or twice, and then it will finally turn over the motor and start.:oops: Not real reassuring when you are not an home, or a long distance away. It just engages the starter, then completely bogs down, and will often reset the trip meters, another bummer, as that is the "gas gauge" for these bikes.

Several kind folks have suggested checking the ground cable an a couple of places. Can anyone tell me how specifically to get to these ground points? :dontknow: I am still very much a novice when it comes to finding such places. Thanks a bunch for everyone's help.

BR

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
may be time to do the clean and fix of start switch

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
First the starter switch is fine, starter is to ( they just dont go bad) you can tighten down the battery ground cable to the engine behing the right cover to Thr right of the clutch pivot point.
Our bikes svea big engine in them and if you kill it when hot and hit the starter switch sometimes it will not want to turn over up against the compression stroke and usually the second push of te starter button will push the piston over the top and it will start. If the voltage level goes to low the trip meter will reset.
if don't hold the button down to long on the first try it won't reset the trip meter. So if it turns over and logs down stop and try again and it will Probally turn over and start. This can happen with a new battery and will happen more when a battery gets old and has a cell going bad.

Donut

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First the starter switch is fine, starter is to ( they just dont go bad) you can tighten down the battery ground cable to the engine behing the right cover to Thr right of the clutch pivot point.
Our bikes svea big engine in them and if you kill it when hot and hit the starter switch sometimes it will not want to turn over up against the compression stroke and usually the second push of te starter button will push the piston over the top and it will start. If the voltage level goes to low the trip meter will reset.
if don't hold the button down to long on the first try it won't reset the trip meter. So if it turns over and logs down stop and try again and it will Probally turn over and start. This can happen with a new battery and will happen more when a battery gets old and has a cell going bad.

Donut
Thanks, I found the ground on the left side not the right?? Will remove and clean it. There is another ground somewhere on this beast, I'm thinking to the frame. Have you ever seen that one. There is some talk of one of the grounds being attached to a painted surface, I'm thinking that is the frame one. May as well clean em all while I am tinkering.
Thanks for your guidance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found ground

Thanks, I found the ground on the left side not the right?? Will remove and clean it. There is another ground somewhere on this beast, I'm thinking to the frame. Have you ever seen that one. There is some talk of one of the grounds being attached to a painted surface, I'm thinking that is the frame one. May as well clean em all while I am tinkering.
Thanks for your guidance
I got that ground cleaned and coated with diaelectric goop. Still does the same when hot, so perhaps I need to learn to live with it???

·
Registered
42 Posts
Problems with Starter when bike is hot

I got that ground cleaned and coated with diaelectric goop. Still does the same when hot, so perhaps I need to learn to live with it???
Reckon you could learn to live with it.....I had the same problem with my bike starter when hot. I replaced the starter in june no
more problem. Got it for 90$ shipped from HDL, BTW i checked the starter switch first. My battery I replaced it early this spring. i had the original for my 2005 1300 with 41000 miles.

Replacing the starter is so easy that even a Caveman could do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reckon you could learn to live with it.....I had the same problem with my bike starter when hot. I replaced the starter in june no
more problem. Got it for 90$ shipped from HDL, BTW i checked the starter switch first. My battery I replaced it early this spring. i had the original for my 2005 1300 with 41000 miles.

Replacing the starter is so easy that even a Caveman could do it.
Thanks. Could you describe briefly the steps to change out the starter?
Thanks again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts