Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please tell me what shock setting you find best for your progressive 412s. Do you switch settings when going from solo to two up?

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have the 412 HD's and have them on the second position...I am 250. When I ride 2 up(adds 120) so far, I have not changed them and have not bottomed out. The ride is fine. If I were doing an extended trip(multiple days 2 up) I might go 1 or 2 more depending on weight.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Are the 412's really that much better? I am getting beat to death with stock shocks. Would like a little softer ride on rough roads. I am 225 lbs.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Randcoll said:
Are the 412's really that much better? I am getting beat to death with stock shocks. Would like a little softer ride on rough roads. I am 225 lbs.
Adjust the shocks down to the number two position and see if thats better. I weigh 140 and ride two up at times so combined weight would be 250/270 and the shocks are set on one, it rides and handles well.

G

·
Randcoll, yes the 412's are that better. The stock shocks are crap! For your size get the heavy duty model. If you have not changed your fork springs, i would do that also. You will not believe how much better your bike will ride.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Manster said:
Randcoll, yes the 412's are that better. The stock shocks are crap! For your size get the heavy duty model. If you have not changed your fork springs, i would do that also. You will not believe how much better your bike will ride.
What he said!!!! :D

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
HondaDavidson said:
Can someone please tell me how to adjust the 412's
Just like the stock shocks, except they should've come with there own adjustment tool because the one for the stock shocks won't work.

·
Registered
278 Posts
While you guys are talking about the 412s, I want a set if the HDs and also want to lower the bike and plan on getting the front lowering fork springs as well - should I go with 11 or 11.5? Don't want to go too low or have any rubbing........

Thanks all

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
bugsy72 said:
While you guys are talking about the 412s, I want a set if the HDs and also want to lower the bike and plan on getting the front lowering fork springs as well - should I go with 11 or 11.5? Don't want to go too low or have any rubbing........

Thanks all
I was worried about the same thing, then I got to thinking, why would they sell something that was going to cause the tire to rub on the fender? I think if you're stock (wheel and tire) and set the load correct for your weight then you'll be fine with ether.

·
Registered
921 Posts
cool runnins said:
I was worried about the same thing, then I got to thinking, why would they sell something that was going to cause the tire to rub on the fender? I think if you're stock and set the load correct for your weight then you'll be fine with ether.
I went with the 11.5's very happy... :D :D :pepper1: :D :D

·
Registered
889 Posts
I've got the 11.5" 412's on my bike. I've got it set on the second notch for 2up riding (combined wieght about 350lbs). I leave it on that setting, although It was a much better ride on the first setting for solo riding. I don't like changing all the time.

I can tell you that with the stock shocks (which I believe are 12.25") I used to drag the fram coming in or out of my drive. With the 11.5" progressives, no bottoming out.

Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts