Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a set of the progressive fork springs about a month ago, but they just don't feel right.

My question is this, when you installed the fork springs did you go with the stock 10 weight oil or did you move up to the 15 weight?

Did put the oil level at what Honda recommends or did you have to adjust it some?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,054 Posts
I'm not sure as to the answer to your question cause I had someone install them for me. They do stiffen up your ride where the front end isn't going to bottom out when going over railroad tracks and such. I love the feel of mine. What do you mean that they don't feel right? Is it the stiffness?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,537 Posts
Just the regular springs, or the lowering ones. I did mine, didnt change the oil, According to the manual the level should be 5 inches down from the top with the forks compressed. How your supposed to accomplish that by yourself, i dont know. Did you put the factory spacers back in? I messed up on mine at first and it felt like crap too, but that was with my attempt to install their lowering kit. The springs, with the fac spacers, feel fine over here.
 
G

·
I put the 15wt the first time, and didnt like it took it out and put in 10wt, Then I shortened the spacer by 1/2 in. and been there since
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,232 Posts
I used the stock honda fork oil, also used the stock spacer never cut it down, I like mine but I'll probably up to the heaver oil this fall to stiffen them up a bit more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,232 Posts
biod929 said:
Just the regular springs, or the lowering ones. I did mine, didnt change the oil, According to the manual the level should be 5 inches down from the top with the forks compressed. How your supposed to accomplish that by yourself, i dont know. Did you put the factory spacers back in? I messed up on mine at first and it felt like crap too, but that was with my attempt to install their lowering kit. The springs, with the fac spacers, feel fine over here.
Best way to do it is to take the forks off the bike......that way you can get all the stock garbage out, I put the progressive springs in after about 7500 miles and the old oil looked like mud......also was only about 1/2 of what was supposed to be in there. Also on the compressing part, if the forks are off you can compress the forks very eaisly by yourself, hold the fork up right, put your new spring in, fill it with the oil and compress a few times, once you get the air out check your level, once your at the right level (compressed) put your washer, spacer and cap back on, mount the forks and your good to go..........Your not trying to compress the forks with the spacer and cap on are you??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stepbill said:
What do you mean that they don't feel right? Is it the stiffness?
Well when I take a curve it seems like it wants to slide out... I have a set of Avon Venom tyres so I would't think it was those. Plus I had the tyres on there with the stock springs and it didn't do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
Isn't there a certain spacing between each side on the springs to determine which way you install? One end has a little more spacing between the coils than the other side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SwdofJustice said:
Isn't there a certain spacing between each side on the springs to determine which way you install? One end has a little more spacing between the coils than the other side.
According to Progressive it does not matter.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top