Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The roads finally cleared enough so I could get out and test my new Progressive fork springs yesterday. WOW!! What difference in front end feel. No more soggy feel. The ride is much improved, the only downside is now I notice how inferior the rear shocks are. (Will have to change them out soon.) 8)

If any of you new VTX owners out there are wondering if this mod is worth it, the answer is an emphatic yes. This is short money (around $70) for a vast improvement in ride comfort and handling.

Also, I have a fork spring tool available if anyone needs it. Drop me an e-mail with your address and I will send it to you. :wink:

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Cyberdyn3, This will be my second season riding my X and the weather, as you have noted, just turned the corner. I have managed to ride a dozen times or so. The first season, I was so thrilled to be riding this machine, that no one could tell me there was anything imperfect. Yet, this season, I, too, have JUST started to notice the front end is kind of spongy and sometimes, down-right clunky. Are these the reasons one would change to progessives? Why did you change springs?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My front end would bottom out on pot holes and railroad crossings. That was the main reason for me. The new springs cured the problem.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yet, this season, I, too, have JUST started to notice the front end is kind of spongy and sometimes, down-right clunky. Are these the reasons one would change to progessives

The Progressives didn't cure all the clunkiness. I think that is caused by the rebound damper spring bottoming out, but the ride is much improved.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What is the part # and where did you buy them . Thanks

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Well, this is great info! I wondered why there was so much commotion regarding these progressive springs. I read the product comment section on HDL as well. Sounds like the mushy, clunkiness I am experiencing is right on target. This will be on my "to do" list.

Cyberdyn3, do you mind if I contact you about borrowing the fork tool when I get ready to change? How much are the tools anyway? Reasonable? Where do I buy? I'm never opposed to buying new tools. I'd love to see another X pull into the driveway to borrow mine.

Thanks folks. Once again, great site, awesome info!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fork Spring Tool

I made a second tool this weekend and both are going out UPS today. One to Kansas and one to Jersey. PM or email me and I will add you to the list to borrow the tool. :wink:

Bare has a list going also and I don't know how many people are on it. 8)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Thank you, I appreciate your williness to share tools. Sounds like the tool is specialty-made; not something anyone can run out and buy? I'm not planning on replacing the spring just yet, so maybe I'll avoid the rush. Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fork spring tool

Russ Ithaca VTX said:
Thank you, I appreciate your williness to share tools. Sounds like the tool is specialty-made; not something anyone can run out and buy? I'm not planning on replacing the spring just yet, so maybe I'll avoid the rush. Thanks.
You can buy the tool from Honda, but for a time it was "out of stock" and thus unobtainable. That prompted creative people to make their own. There is a picture of the home made version under the special tools section of Bare's website www.bareasschoppers.com if you want to make your own. 8)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
More Bareass homework

Cool, more Bare homework. I truly do hope someone throws him a few bucks for all his insight and trial & error. His site is a great resource.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Russ Ithaca VTX said:
Well, this is great info! I wondered why there was so much commotion regarding these progressive springs. I read the product comment section on HDL as well. Sounds like the mushy, clunkiness I am experiencing is right on target. This will be on my "to do" list.

Cyberdyn3, do you mind if I contact you about borrowing the fork tool when I get ready to change? How much are the tools anyway? Reasonable? Where do I buy? I'm never opposed to buying new tools. I'd love to see another X pull into the driveway to borrow mine.

Thanks folks. Once again, great site, awesome info!!
I installed progresive springs and stock 12.5 inch progressive 440 shocks and it made a huge positive difference. No more waddling on corners. The bike is an inch or 2 higher now, but it makes an incredible difference on corners. It seems like a different bike. I never dreamed it would make the bike handle this well. If you have enough sheckles in the cookie jar (about $550 for both) it is well worth it IMO.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
I installed Progressive's GL1800 (Gold Wing) springs. For me (6'4", 300#) the ride is totally improved over stock. Now I need 440's for the rear.

The extra ground clearance from the additional front spring height (and stiffness) means I won't be draggin' my pegs at Deals Gap so much (gotta watch the overshoot now).

However, the low-speed turning is very quick. You're just rolling, and go for a turn, and it will almost flip the bars in that direction. At speed, no problems, can ride all day with no hands on the bars. (throttle clamp)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Shorten Progressive fork springs?

After reading about the performance of these springs, I'm sold, but I'm 5'8" and the VTX seat height is just right as it is. How can I get better performance out of my front forks and not make the seat height higher? Anybody got any ideas? :roll:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Shorten Progressive fork springs?

Spaggs said:
After reading about the performance of these springs, I'm sold, but I'm 5'8" and the VTX seat height is just right as it is. How can I get better performance out of my front forks and not make the seat height higher? Anybody got any ideas? :roll:
The VTX springs do raise the front a little, but I didn't really notice it and I am only 5-7.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
iv had the front springs since FEB sitting on my counter, im just waiting for the money to install them :( a friend of mine has been helping me install everything on my bike. i dont know if i can get him to install those or not, i dont have the tool anyway.

·
Registered
227 Posts

Spaggs said:
I am 5'8" too...replace the seat...When i did..it lower my center of gravity.
I felt Like was sitting in the bike and not on top of it..

I have the highend seat...which drop me almost 2 inches..and move me forward maybe an inch. It was what the doctor ordered for a 5'8" frame
I would say replace the seat...

·
Registered
9,181 Posts

timberghost said:
iv had the front springs since FEB sitting on my counter, im just waiting for the money to install them :( a friend of mine has been helping me install everything on my bike. i dont know if i can get him to install those or not, i dont have the tool anyway.
I have the tool if you need to borrow it, I can add you to the list. If you follow my write-up you shouldn't have too much trouble. :wink:

forestsoft said:
I am 5'8" too...replace the seat...When i did..it lower my center of gravity. I felt Like was sitting in the bike and not on top of it.
I ride on a stock seat that's cut down a couple inches, I couldn't agree more that I feel more like I'm a part of the bike instead of riding ON it. :wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts