Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having difficulty locating information on what Progressive Front Shock Springs I need for my 08 VTX1800F.

If anyone has any info they don't mind sharing with me on that, I would appreciate it.
Thanks Guys!
Fred

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I installed some on my bike several years ago. They much improved the ride and the dipping. Mississippi pot holes are hard on tires and suspensions

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
May I ask,,, Harlin

why do you think you need new front springs.. ?????????

all the "F"'s come with different springs then all other VTX1800.... they are similar to Progressive springs.
I still have my Stock springs in the bike.. I am 250 pounds.. and have 88,000 miles

just asking.

I am a canyon carver... and "X" sport bike rider.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
May I ask,,, Harlin

why do you think you need new front springs.. ?????????

all the "F"'s come with different springs then all other VTX1800.... they are similar to Progressive springs.
I still have my Stock springs in the bike.. I am 250 pounds.. and have 88,000 miles

just asking.

I am a canyon carver... and "X" sport bike rider.

I seem to bottom out real easy on bumps that I would not think I should bottom out on. It sounds and feels like a metal on metal THUD when I hit a decent bump. My triple tree and forks feel solid when I shake and yank on them when she is on the left so it is making me think I need a firmer Spring system. I am all ears if you know of something I need to check or do Man!

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
Low on fork oil???
Less oil = more air which compresses relatively easy.
This in true on my 1300, I expect the same on the 1800

Each 1800 fork has a specific job for compression and rebound.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Low on fork oil???
Less oil = more air which compresses relatively easy.
This in true on my 1300, I expect the same on the 1800

Each 1800 fork has a specific job for compression and rebound.

There is a damn good chance of that.
I'll check into that before I do anything.
I Love the knowledge and Help that people give here. Proud to be a member of such a fine group of Riders.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
the thud in the front end... is the 2 sets of bushings.... common on all 1800's..

so if you are doing the front end.. number one NEED... are the bushings.

4 bushings and 2 sets of seals... equal about 100 dollars.
but now is the time to think about fork oil

stock is 10 weight... I run 15 weight myself.

20 weight start getting rough..

I rebuilt my front forks last year..
I have done about 20 sets on 1800's.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
And if you REALLY want to improve the front end, may I suggest installing the Race Tech gold valve emulators & springs...made an absolutely UNBELIEVABLE difference on my 1300, and I tried the Progressive springs by themselves and was not impressed.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
For me installing the Progressive's springs and rear shocks on my VTX 1800C made a huge improvement. I rebuild the front shocks about every 50.000 km.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
May I ask... What kind of improvement?
1 no more bottoming out of the front shocks
2 no more bottoming out of the rear shocks(Progressive's 440 HD)

Resulting in a firm, sporty ride especially noticeable when cornering. The best mode I did on my VTX.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
1 no more bottoming out of the front shocks
2 no more bottoming out of the rear shocks(Progressive's 440 HD)

Resulting in a firm, sporty ride especially noticeable when cornering. The best mode I did on my VTX.
I see. Looks like I don't need to worry with my original springs. Never had that kind of problem...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts