• no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they worth the money? I would not expect them to make a VTX ride like a goldwing but does it make the ride MUCH better?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
From everything I have read on here the front springs are a "for sure" thing to do. Not sure about the back. They are quite expensive....

Ordered the front ones,
Gary

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have the 440HD and progrssive fork springs and I weigh 250lbs, you will not be sorry for spending the $$$ especially if you ride long distances for long periods of time. A lot smoother than the stock ride and well worth the $$$, At least I think so. That's my two penny's worth!

·
Super Moderator
63,769 Posts
Yep. I'd do it again in a minute. Had the 412s on another bike and they improved the stock ride. Then went with the 440s on my X, and that improved the ride much more than the 412s did. 8)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Chicago-Spike said:
Yep. I'd do it again in a minute. Had the 412s on another bike and they improved the stock ride. Then went with the 440s on my X, and that improved the ride much more than the 412s did. 8)
Spike,

My wife has pretty much told me to change the shocks on my 1300, she loves to ride with me. I can't decide if I should use the heavy duty springs. I am just under 200lbs. I ride to work so she is on the bike less than fifty percent of the time. Would we notice a significant difference between the 412/440's?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have this setup

I would go with it but avoid the HD version of the shocks.

·
Super Moderator
63,769 Posts
Some dislike the HD spring on the shocks as they tend to feel stiff. But I like the stiff "Sport suspension" feel and I only ride solo with the HD springs. The HD springs make the nbike feel like a sports car with the stiff suspension and less like a sport sedan feel. 8)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks guys. It sounds like the 440's with the lighter spring may be the way to go for my bike, my wife ends up jarring her neck with the stockers, it has got so bad that she says she may not be able to ride, I really enjoy having her along with me so I will have to make the switch.

·
Registered
312 Posts
VTreX1800c said:
Are they worth the money? I would not expect them to make a VTX ride like a goldwing but does it make the ride MUCH better?
There was a line of Gold Wings over at Daytona during Bike Week getting Progressive Shocks

Gator

·
Mad Hatter
21,317 Posts
I have the 440's and the Front Progressives and Love them!!! Would Do it again in a Heart Beat!!!!!

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
The 440's made a huge difference!! No more pogo-sticking around! I just added some oil to the forks (smaller air chamber) and they worked fine. But, the springs are probably a better way to go. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
progressive poll

bradleyVTX said:
Thanks guys. It sounds like the 440's with the lighter spring may be the way to go for my bike, my wife ends up jarring her neck with the stockers, it has got so bad that she says she may not be able to ride, I really enjoy having her along with me so I will have to make the switch.
This is the same issue that I have. If were just me and I did not want my wife to go I would leave it alone even though I would like a smoother ride. She told me to buy a Goldwing !! I just felt like I missed a setp. If you know what I meen. We are in our late 50's. I have a Corbin touring seat with backrest and jell pad for her but still needs to be better. I'll buy Gold in a couple of years and keep the X. I am 200+ and she is 120, I think I need the HD shocks. NO one has voted but thanks for the input!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
The best modification I made to my x was the Progressive 440 shocks and Progressive springs. The way it handles in corners and under braking has improved 100%. If you install stock 12.5 they will raise your bike about an inch or maybe more. But it dramatically improves handling in corners and while braking. I weigh 200 and my girlfriend weighs 148 and it gives us a nice comfortable ride. I do have the shocks cranked up almost all the way on the shock adjustment. So if you and your wife are much heavier than we are, you may want to go with 440 HDs. When these wear out I will go HD.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Love the HD 440's. Bike rides alot better and was a little stiff at first but smooth out nicely. I am about 210 and I ride on the softest setting and crank it up to two when the wife is on board. Worth the cash in my opinion. Gotta get the front springs though....

JA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts