Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
And they all marched off (7 dwarfs style) singing "Choke, Choke, Choke, Choke, No Choke, No Choke, No Choke"

I say choke it or don't choke it. Do it like you bike needs. There is no right or wrong way because each engine is slightly different in it's requirements! You'll have to find out what your bike needs.

"Choke, Choke, Choke, Choke, No Choke, No Choke, No Choke"...................

:beer3:

·
Registered
214 Posts
jack19512 said:
I am giving you a break. I am stating my opinion without name calling or insulting no one.
Riiiiight...I guess implying (and not very subtly) that everybody that uses the choke differently than you do is clueless is far better. :roll:

·
Registered
341 Posts
If the damn thing won't start with out it, choke it. But if you choke it with both hands for toooo long you'll kill it!
I hardly ever use it but I think I'm running a little rich, as said each bike is different.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Yep

V-TX said:
Eddie - You are going to send that FedEx, aren't you?
It's on the way, set up for Sat AM Delivery. Glad I could help.

Eddie

G

·
0 Posts
otcpharm wrote:

"Riiiiight...I guess implying (and not very subtly) that everybody that uses the choke differently than you do is clueless is far better."

This is like burger king, you can have it your way. It's your bike start it any way you want. If someone on this board brings up a question about the choke/enricher I will reply with what I have been taught. I find it amusing that as far as I know every engine manufacture on the planet that uses either a choke or enricher for as long as I can remember has recommended the same cold start procedure but when I use that procedure myself and advise others to use it I get slammed.

I still stand by my statement that if you cannot use this procedure with success then there is something wrong. It's funny how these engines are suppose to be manufactured in theory exactly the same but with machine and human error they are not, I think they use to call it quality control. I must be the luckiest person when it comes to machines because my 1300C, my Kaw ATV, my riding lawn mower, my garden tiller, not to mention all of my previous bikes that I have owned for the last (approx.) 33 years have all used this start procedure with great success. I have tried the other methods of cold starting that have been mentioned here with mixed results but nothing has worked as well as the recommended starting procedure. I still think that a lot of people that use this procedure are just not doing something right. Not everyone has a lifetime of manual choke experience.

I would love to come visit one of you that claim you cannot use this procedure to see for myself and we would post our findings exactly as they happen for everyone to read. I live in eastern KY. Any takers?

G

·
0 Posts
I have a neighbor that has a bike, I dare not mention the brand in fear of starting another war. Just about every time he starts his bike I hear this...potato......potato......then nothing. Then in a few seconds I will hear this...potato.......potato......potato.....then nothing. Then about the 3rd try I hear the bike fire up and he's reving the engine. Now this guy either has something wrong or he just doesn't understand how to use a choke/enricher, because my X fires up as soon as I hit the starter button and rumbles as though it could have a little bit of Kentucky thoroughbred blood in it.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I got a choke story for you , its really story of how i choked

I decided to wear my ski gloves for the first time while riding. My hands
had been becoming numb from wearing leather gloves on my ride into work. It was 6;30 am ,dark ,with a very light rain falling tempeture just above freezing , was less than 1/2 mile from home waiting in traffic for light to change, as light goes green , engine dies ,IDEA out of gas switch to resevre and throw bike back and forth to slosh gas back forth for the pickup in tank,hit starter wont start, hit starter wont start , DAM traffic is pulling away ,can feel the back of my neck burning from the stares of irate cagers behind me, its been going on three seconds now that they have been delayed, i hit the starter again as i am pushing the bike while stradled off the to left shoulder and it still does not start OH NO it dark I am going to get smoked stitting on this shoulder as commuters use it for the left ahead , IDEA!!!! the bikes still cold , yank on choke , bike fires ,i've dropped 4 or 5 positions just in my lane alone in the Daliy Downtown RACE , Theres a gap in the moving traffic on my right so i giver and am quickly closing on the postion ahead and roll off the gas , WTF bike does not slow, grab levers, engine REVS WTF i can actually hear the stock pipes .No more left shoulder , have to get over 2 lanes to right shoulder , IDEA!!! ! its that cheap ugly thottle lock . start pushing and pulling on it , oh no the throtle is stuck wide open , i have to get over , whats that smell?start down shifting ,oh no what gear am i in ,the road is wet IDEA!!! the choke is still wide open, better up shift so low gear doesnt grab wet road, let out clutch to push in choke ............had the X in first place by the next light

That afternoon got some gas and pulled the plugs, all were tan
There isnt as much free play in the clutch now

I have seldom pulled the choke out all the way on cold starts
even if i am pushing it in right away, as i find the engine revs too high
for my liking with a cold bike

Knight

·
Registered
792 Posts
Racer04 here's the choke.

·
Registered
23 Posts
After reading all this

After reading all this, I was so frustrated I went out and choked my 1300 until it fell to the floor kicking and coughing. After that, I completely disassembled and assembled it, because I had so much time on my hands.

Come on, guys, Ride that SOB!!

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Speaking of Choking.... :wink:

Important Safety Bulletin

The American Medical Association has announced a new national symbol for choking. Please inform all of the people in your safety department.

OLD SYMBOL

NEW SYMBOL
:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
jack19512 said:
I would love to come visit one of you that claim you cannot use this procedure to see for myself and we would post our findings exactly as they happen for everyone to read. I live in eastern KY. Any takers?
Come on up - you did offer to make the trip. Along with the findings, I'd love to post a picture of your reaction when you see for yourself that your "full choke all the time 'cuz the manufacturer says so" method doesn't work for everybody...and my bike runs perfectly regardless. Perfectly. Again...slowly, p e r f e c t l y.

Just because it's the manufacturer says something, doesn't mean its gospel.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Pöi§ön said:
Speaking of Choking.... :wink:

Important Safety Bulletin

The American Medical Association has announced a new national symbol for choking. Please inform all of the people in your safety department.

OLD SYMBOL

NEW SYMBOL
:D :D :D :D

Pöi§ön,

You and I seem to have drifted off topic slightly :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Am I to understand that if you rub your choke with a cue tip then you will warm up the button, and all will be fine. Mike

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
jack19512 said:
otcpharm wrote:

"Riiiiight...I guess implying (and not very subtly) that everybody that uses the choke differently than you do is clueless is far better."

This is like burger king, you can have it your way. It's your bike start it any way you want. If someone on this board brings up a question about the choke/enricher I will reply with what I have been taught. I find it amusing that as far as I know every engine manufacture on the planet that uses either a choke or enricher for as long as I can remember has recommended the same cold start procedure but when I use that procedure myself and advise others to use it I get slammed.

I still stand by my statement that if you cannot use this procedure with success then there is something wrong. It's funny how these engines are suppose to be manufactured in theory exactly the same but with machine and human error they are not, I think they use to call it quality control. I must be the luckiest person when it comes to machines because my 1300C, my Kaw ATV, my riding lawn mower, my garden tiller, not to mention all of my previous bikes that I have owned for the last (approx.) 33 years have all used this start procedure with great success. I have tried the other methods of cold starting that have been mentioned here with mixed results but nothing has worked as well as the recommended starting procedure. I still think that a lot of people that use this procedure are just not doing something right. Not everyone has a lifetime of manual choke experience.

I think you're missing the point. I'm sure that most, if not all, engines will start with full choke. The point is that you should never overload the engine with excess gas. By pulling the choke fully out, you have closed out most of the air flow, and are injecting a fuel/air ratio that is much higher than is actually required.

Using your logic, if an engine runs OK all the time with the choke halfway out, then everything is fine. However, by doing so, you are wasting gas, and taking the chance of fouling the plugs. If you aren't having problems, that's fine, but it's a risky decision to always arbitrarily use full choke regardless of the overall engine/ambient conditions. It's an overkill. Just because the engine cranks every time doesn't mean that you didn't waste gas and risk plug fouling. The goal of cranking any engine is to use the optimal fuel/air mix to accomplish the task. Full choke under all conditions can not accomplish this task.

It's a guessing game, just like a roll of the dice, but practice and experience will result in a general idea of exactly how much choke is needed for that moment's conditions. Common sense would dictate that less choke is required at 95 degrees ambient than at 10 below zero. If your bike won't crank at 95 degrees without full choke, then you're gonna be SOL at 10 below, because full choke just isn't gonna be enough.

Eddie

G

·
0 Posts
Eddie

I think you are missing the point. Full choke is only used to start the engine. As soon as the engine starts immediately push the choke in until your engine smooths out and you will have the A/F ratio that your engine likes. By starting in this manner you are not overloading the engine with excess gas but finding the proper A/F ratio for the particular start situation, whether it be 80 degrees or 60 degrees.

Wouldn't is also be true that if you start your engine using the 1/4 or 1/2 choke method you are not applying the right amount of choke for varying degrees of temperature?

G

·
0 Posts
otcpharm

Where do you live? I would not have any problems if your bike does not start with the method I have stated. And I am more than happy to post whatever results we find. It has nothing to do with manufactuer this or manufacturer that. All gas engines that I know of operate and require the same basic operating needs. As I have stated as far as I know this has been the accepted and reccomended cold start procedure for decades. I am not an expert mechanic but I am not a complete dummy either, I would be happy to help you in finding out what is wrong with your enricher if your bike will not start using this method.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
jack19512 said:
Eddie

I think you are missing the point. Full choke is only used to start the engine. As soon as the engine starts immediately push the choke in until your engine smooths out and you will have the A/F ratio that your engine likes. By starting in this manner you are not overloading the engine with excess gas but finding the proper A/F ratio for the particular start situation, whether it be 80 degrees or 60 degrees.

Wouldn't is also be true that if you start your engine using the 1/4 or 1/2 choke method you are not applying the right amount of choke for varying degrees of temperature?
You win.

Eddie

21 - 40 of 53 Posts