Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
TO THOSE OF YOU WHO USE FULL CHOKE TO START YOUR 1300:
You are absolutely correct. However, this is a closely guarded secret which should not be divulged on a public forum.

·
Registered
526 Posts
TO THOSE OF YOU WHO DO NOT USE FULL CHOKE TO START YOUR 1300:
You are absolutely correct. However, this is a closely guarded secret which should not be divulged on a public forum.

·
Registered
526 Posts
TO THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE NO IDEA WHETHER TO USE FULL CHOKE OR NOT:
Please read this forum carefully. It is exhaustively screened to eliminate information which may be inaccurate, opinionated, or unsubstantiated. You may rest assured that anything posted in this forum was derived from established procedures backed by extensive scientific research in rigorously controlled conditions established by the most qualified technicians in the transportation industry. You will not be subjected to the mere opinions of laypersons whose egos demand the assumption that what works for them is necessarily the gold standard for the rest of their admiring world. If you read it in this forum, it will be the irrefutable and uncontested truth; and nowhere on this forum will you see such wisdom refuted.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
jack19512 said:
otcpharm

Where do you live? I would not have any problems if your bike does not start with the method I have stated. And I am more than happy to post whatever results we find. It has nothing to do with manufactuer this or manufacturer that. All gas engines that I know of operate and require the same basic operating needs. As I have stated as far as I know this has been the accepted and reccomended cold start procedure for decades. I am not an expert mechanic but I am not a complete dummy either, I would be happy to help you in finding out what is wrong with your enricher if your bike will not start using this method.
Fella, I think you have missed the entire point of most peeps replying to your original post. You came across like an imature boy with a point to prove. You proved your point in the very most outstanding way possible. Immaturely. I have done the same thing before and not too long ago. But at least I had the intelligence to apologize and move on. You just keep "choking" on your own post.

Every bike is different.

Maybe it's just my opinion, but to me, you did.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Dang! More ways to skin this here cat than they be fur or hide to skin!

Its just a choke. If you want to trim your use of it or attempt non use of it; OK with me. I am a full puller. I keep my hand off the throttle and crank'er up with the choke fully set. I begin pushing the choke in right away to find the best normal to slightly fast idle and continue to push in as the bike warms for a few moments. If I am ready to go and the bike is still cold, then I ride conservatively with the choke partly open for a short time and then push it in. So long as you don't go around with it partly closed, it will be OK. This is not rocket science.

prs

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
eddiecohen said:
jack19512 said:
otcpharm wrote:

"Riiiiight...I guess implying (and not very subtly) that everybody that uses the choke differently than you do is clueless is far better."

This is like burger king, you can have it your way. It's your bike start it any way you want. If someone on this board brings up a question about the choke/enricher I will reply with what I have been taught. I find it amusing that as far as I know every engine manufacture on the planet that uses either a choke or enricher for as long as I can remember has recommended the same cold start procedure but when I use that procedure myself and advise others to use it I get slammed.

I still stand by my statement that if you cannot use this procedure with success then there is something wrong. It's funny how these engines are suppose to be manufactured in theory exactly the same but with machine and human error they are not, I think they use to call it quality control. I must be the luckiest person when it comes to machines because my 1300C, my Kaw ATV, my riding lawn mower, my garden tiller, not to mention all of my previous bikes that I have owned for the last (approx.) 33 years have all used this start procedure with great success. I have tried the other methods of cold starting that have been mentioned here with mixed results but nothing has worked as well as the recommended starting procedure. I still think that a lot of people that use this procedure are just not doing something right. Not everyone has a lifetime of manual choke experience.

I would love to come visit one of you that claim you cannot use this procedure to see for myself and we would post our findings exactly as they happen for everyone to read. I live in eastern KY. Any takers?
I think you're missing the point. I'm sure that most, if not all, engines will start with full choke. The point is that you should never overload the engine with excess gas. By pulling the choke fully out, you have closed out most of the air flow, and are injecting a fuel/air ratio that is much higher than is actually required.

Using your logic, if an engine runs OK all the time with the choke halfway out, then everything is fine. However, by doing so, you are wasting gas, and taking the chance of fouling the plugs. If you aren't having problems, that's fine, but it's a risky decision to always arbitrarily use full choke regardless of the overall engine/ambient conditions. It's an overkill. Just because the engine cranks every time doesn't mean that you didn't waste gas and risk plug fouling. The goal of cranking any engine is to use the optimal fuel/air mix to accomplish the task. Full choke under all conditions can not accomplish this task.

It's a guessing game, just like a roll of the dice, but practice and experience will result in a general idea of exactly how much choke is needed for that moment's conditions. Common sense would dictate that less choke is required at 95 degrees ambient than at 10 below zero. If your bike won't crank at 95 degrees without full choke, then you're gonna be SOL at 10 below, because full choke just isn't gonna be enough.

Eddie
Hey Eddie,I thought I would help you out a bit on your knowledge of our "choke".You stated that it shuts off most of the airflow--it is not like the old chokes that had the butterfly that I think you are referring to.The choke is actually an enrichener(little bullet looking affair in the top of the carb)that lifts upward when you pull the choke out,thus allowing raw gas to "enrichen" the air/fuel mixture.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Thanks

dakota said:
eddiecohen said:
jack19512 said:
otcpharm wrote:

"Riiiiight...I guess implying (and not very subtly) that everybody that uses the choke differently than you do is clueless is far better."

This is like burger king, you can have it your way. It's your bike start it any way you want. If someone on this board brings up a question about the choke/enricher I will reply with what I have been taught. I find it amusing that as far as I know every engine manufacture on the planet that uses either a choke or enricher for as long as I can remember has recommended the same cold start procedure but when I use that procedure myself and advise others to use it I get slammed.

I still stand by my statement that if you cannot use this procedure with success then there is something wrong. It's funny how these engines are suppose to be manufactured in theory exactly the same but with machine and human error they are not, I think they use to call it quality control. I must be the luckiest person when it comes to machines because my 1300C, my Kaw ATV, my riding lawn mower, my garden tiller, not to mention all of my previous bikes that I have owned for the last (approx.) 33 years have all used this start procedure with great success. I have tried the other methods of cold starting that have been mentioned here with mixed results but nothing has worked as well as the recommended starting procedure. I still think that a lot of people that use this procedure are just not doing something right. Not everyone has a lifetime of manual choke experience.

I would love to come visit one of you that claim you cannot use this procedure to see for myself and we would post our findings exactly as they happen for everyone to read. I live in eastern KY. Any takers?
I think you're missing the point. I'm sure that most, if not all, engines will start with full choke. The point is that you should never overload the engine with excess gas. By pulling the choke fully out, you have closed out most of the air flow, and are injecting a fuel/air ratio that is much higher than is actually required.

Using your logic, if an engine runs OK all the time with the choke halfway out, then everything is fine. However, by doing so, you are wasting gas, and taking the chance of fouling the plugs. If you aren't having problems, that's fine, but it's a risky decision to always arbitrarily use full choke regardless of the overall engine/ambient conditions. It's an overkill. Just because the engine cranks every time doesn't mean that you didn't waste gas and risk plug fouling. The goal of cranking any engine is to use the optimal fuel/air mix to accomplish the task. Full choke under all conditions can not accomplish this task.

It's a guessing game, just like a roll of the dice, but practice and experience will result in a general idea of exactly how much choke is needed for that moment's conditions. Common sense would dictate that less choke is required at 95 degrees ambient than at 10 below zero. If your bike won't crank at 95 degrees without full choke, then you're gonna be SOL at 10 below, because full choke just isn't gonna be enough.

Eddie
Hey Eddie,I thought I would help you out a bit on your knowledge of our "choke".You stated that it shuts off most of the airflow--it is not like the old chokes that had the butterfly that I think you are referring to.The choke is actually an enrichener(little bullet looking affair in the top of the carb)that lifts upward when you pull the choke out,thus allowing raw gas to "enrichen" the air/fuel mixture.
Thanks.
I learn something new every day. I'll have to tear it down one day and look at it so I'll know what I'm talking about.

Eddie

·
Registered
792 Posts
Re: CHOKES

Crowbar said:
SO does this close the book on choking, Are should we just put a gun to our head?
No wait don't do that remember there's always the Heimlich maneuver!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

Crowbar said:
SO does this close the book on choking, Are should we just put a gun to our head?
I don't know if the gun would do much good--you're pretty old & might forget to load it or pull the trigger! :p

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I have often been confused about the problems.

This is how I have started every bike that I have owned.

I have had a 50cc, 70cc, 125cc, 2-1500cc (Kaws) & now the VTX1300.
(My goldwing is carbless)

The bike has sat overnight. It might be the middle of summer, no difference. I pull the choke all the way out. I start the bike. I go inside
my garage, close the door. Go inside house. Make sure pets are in and
the back door is locked. Finally go out to drive way. I push the choke
all the way back in. I drive off. This is anywhere from 45 seconds to 3 minutes.

Now my bike would rev way too high if I left the choke on. My bike would
be to wimpy to make it down the street without choking. It sounds to me
like Honda has made this choke system just for me. Why don't I have
problems using it??

Even with the choke in, it still takes my VTX awhile to warm up. I swear
that sometimes, even though the radiator has kicked on, the engine still
isn't behaving as nicely as it will after about 10 minutes of ridding.

I buy bikes. I don't wrench them. I am starting to some, but I will never
have the smarts to argue with a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

Crowbar said:
Should you pull the trigger all the way or just part way,
should you squeeeze the trigger or jerk it ????? :D

·
Registered
4,839 Posts

Spencer said:
Crowbar said:
Should you pull the trigger all the way or just part way,
should you squeeeze the trigger or jerk it ????? :D
My mind keeps wandering to the thought of John Belushi as the Samurai Warrior, performing hari-kari.

:-D

Eddie

41 - 53 of 53 Posts