Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I was just wondering if you guys have ever experienced this?-- I was leaving a car/ bike show in Perryopolis Saturday when a State cop pulled me over to advise me that My side verticle plate was illegal. I told him that i had checked with the local police and they told me that as long as it was clearly visable from behind and was lighted that it was fine. he then looked over my bike and asked who inspected it, to which i told him that an offical inspection did it and it was this way when it passed inspection. he took my info, came back and then told me he wasnt even goimng to give me a written warning for it. I think its harrasment, plain and simple. What do you guys think?:doorag:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ha, ha.. i would have gladly let him look, but he scared my kid when he did that.I just dont think its right

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
yep, absolutely police harrassment! F'n dickhead was lookin for a cheap excuse to check you out, see if you smelled like weed or alcohol.... too busy F'n with a biker to do his GD job. The lurch toward this BS "proactive" policing is not only harrassment, its unconstitutional. By its nature, policing is purely REACTIVE.... if you hadn't broken any law where this LEO personally witnessed the violation, then he has NO business saying jackchit to you beyond Good Morning Sir. PERIOD.:evil:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
hunter_pa -

25 years ago I used to teach PA state safety and emissions inspection to inspection station operators & techs and the PA State Troopers. The DMV code is usually cut-and-dried as far as safety equipment, placement of lights and license plates is concerned for motorcycles. My advise to you is to obtain a copy of the DMV safety and emissions inspection regulations and make certain that you are withing the law.

The state of FL recently changed their DMV regulations and all but outlawed side-mounted license plates for "safety" reasons. My thoughts are that the police got tired of turning their heads sideways in order to read LPs that had been rotated 90* clockwise or 90* counter-clockwise for vertical mounted license plates.

Next item - Seeing as how you're relatively new to the forum, you may wish to consider updating your Profile and Signature areas.

If you look at some of the "Senior Members" posts, you'll notice that we have a bit more info available than some of you more "Junior" members.

It just provides anyone attempting to help you with a problem get a better idea of your environment (location, altitude, weather and temperature) and what year and model bike we're trying to help you with ... all without you having to retype that info with each posted question.

Other than that, a delayed "welcome aboard" is extended.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Got a warning ticket over there for not wearing goggles... with a full windshield lol.

·
Super Moderator
64,052 Posts
It is illegal in most states to have a plate in a verticle position and appears to be so in Penn as well.
Direct from the Penn DMV website;

47.3. Manner of attachment.

Every registration plate shall be securely fastened to the vehicle:
(1) So as to be clearly visible.
(2) In a horizontal position.
(3) At a height of not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the registration plate. (4) So as to prevent the registration plate from swinging

·
Registered
106 Posts
Got a warning ticket over there for not wearing goggles... with a full windshield lol.
You were lucky, should have been a full ticket. PA law states eye protection required: full face helmet or shatterproof glasses.

Hope you enjoyed the hills here in PA 8)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the help guys. Ill work on updating my info when i get a chance. Spike, thanks again for really digging into it. Just dont know why they would pass it at a honda dealer if it were illegal. Never had a problem before and ive sat and talked with the cops.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It is illegal in most states to have a plate in a verticle position and appears to be so in Penn as well.
Direct from the Penn DMV website;
hunter_pa,

I live right down the road from you and I've run with a horizontal side mount plate for ~7 years on both of my X's because a vertical one is a no-no in PA.

Carl

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
spike,

I dont wanna sound dumb here but i guess i am.. LOl-- i searched that dmv website now for over an hour and i cant find that regulation. Id like to pass it on to some buddies that have them but they will need proof of it. There are a ton of crotch rockets out there with verticle plates. whats the diffrence?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've talked to the California Highway Patrol about this as I have a vertical plate on my 1300 C and he stated that in this state there is no law that forbids this but because it falls into the gray area of the law, it could be an excuse for him to pull me over to look for other safty violations that may be present.
So, basically, It is a "wild hair up the Wazoo" situation for the LEO depending on his first impressions of seeing you.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
thanks for the help guys. Ill work on updating my info when i get a chance. Spike, thanks again for really digging into it. Just dont know why they would pass it at a honda dealer if it were illegal. Never had a problem before and ive sat and talked with the cops.
It's called a "loophole". Checking the orientation of the license plate is not one of the criteria to pass inspection in PA. Here are the inspection procedures:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/s175.160.html

Another example is the noise limits statutes. There is no testing done at inspections for exhaust sound levels but that doesn't mean you can't get a ticket for it even though you passed inspection (Just ask anyone who has ridden through New Hope PA when the cops are ticketing loud pipes).

Plus I have found that the latitude given from one inspection place to the next in PA is pretty liberal. One place I went the guy spent a good 20 minutes going over my bike, made me show him that my foglights shut off when I switched on the highbeams, checked my tire tread with a depth meter, took my bike for a test ride (like they're supposed to), checked my brake disks with a flashlight etc.

Another place I went the guy came out, walked around the bike, never even asked me to start it, asked me the mileage, put the sticker on and asked for his $20. :dontknow:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Inspection free

Thank god we dont have inspections in OK anymore!! Not that mine wouldnt pass, but just an overall pain in the rear if you ask me!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Thank god we dont have inspections in OK anymore!! Not that mine wouldnt pass, but just an overall pain in the rear if you ask me!
:agree:Georgia did away with them several years ago also. As with alot of govt programs,alot of variation between inspections stations. Hope we never have them again!! The people out there who want to beat it will find a way and leave the rest of us paying for it..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay guys,

I contacted my buddy with this info and relayed the info in the above posts. I am expressly looking at the loopholes thing. If a vehicle cant pass inspection than it isnt legal in PA. If it does pass then it is consodered roadworthy and in compliance with the laws of the state. I was given this link from my buddy and under the inspection rules subchapter h it does not have a requiremnet for it to be in a horizontal position. here is the link . http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/inspections/pub_45.shtml

Im starting to think this is one of those things where they can stop ya if they want, but theres no "real" law stating that it cant be this way. The link i followed earlier from that Spike posted did not specify on what type of vehicle the plate was mounted to. Maybe im just chasing my tail here also.. but i dont wanna change my plate. I paid alot of money for it and cut out my old mounting brackets. So if i can run it. Im going to.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts