Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 1800R. Recently I have noticed a pulsating vibration at around 70-75 mph in 5th gear while cruising on the Interstate. No heavy acceleration when the pulsating occurs. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and what the resolution and the cause was found to be. I have almost 17k miles on it and ride almost daily. Bought it back in March 2021 with 10 K miles on it. Thanks for the help y'all!

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
Maybe the texture or condition of the road you're on? What kind of miles are on your tires, what kind are they, how old are they, are they out of balance like from losing a weight? What pressures? Too many variables here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe the texture or condition of the road you're on? What kind of miles are on your tires, what kind are they, how old are they, are they out of balance like from losing a weight? What pressures? Too many variables here.
The road is in good condition. The condition hasn't changed recently. It is the same condition as before the vibration started.

I did get new tires a few months ago. Mounted by Honda dealership and installed on the bike by me. Been mechanicing since I was 13 or so... The tires are Shinko Journey Touring. Correct factory size. I diligently keep my tires properly inflated. No defects observed anywhere on the tires. No eggs or splitting or anything. They have about 2500 miles on them now. About 90% highway miles.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
The road is in good condition. The condition hasn't changed recently. It is the same condition as before the vibration started.

I did get new tires a few months ago. Mounted by Honda dealership and installed on the bike by me. Been mechanicing since I was 13 or so... The tires are Shinko Journey Touring. Correct factory size. I diligently keep my tires properly inflated. No defects observed anywhere on the tires. No eggs or splitting or anything. They have about 2500 miles on them now. About 90% highway miles.
You dodged my question about the balancing or losing a weight. Maybe try a bottle of Ride-On internal gel balancer/ sealant?

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
turn off yer seat modulator …. (y)……best-O-luck

·
Super Moderator
64,346 Posts
Next to look at would be tires. What PSI they at(38-40 for both ) need to check them every week at least. All kinds of tire wear patterns come from improper PSI. Most common that makes vibrations are tire cupping

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You dodged my question about the balancing or losing a weight. Maybe try a bottle of Ride-On internal gel balancer/ sealant?
I didn't intend to dodge your question at all. The tires were balanced by Honda when mounted. All weights are still in place. And I haven't hit anything or run through potholes. Thankfully my normal route has good roads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Next to look at would be tires. What PSI they at(38-40 for both ) need to check them every week at least. All kinds of tire wear patterns come from improper PSI. Most common that makes vibrations are tire cupping
I check my tire pressures at least weekly sometimes twice a week depending on where and for how long I plan to ride. Per the factory specs, I keep my front tire at 33 and my rear tire at 36. The rear tire has a pressure range from 33-36. I opt for 36 since I'm bagged and usually carrying a somewhat heavy bag or a passenger.

·
Super Moderator
64,346 Posts
The factory 33psi is to low per Dunlop. Honda put 33psi for ride comfort sacrificing tire wear and longevity. I got that from the Honda Homecoming they used to have at the Honda plant in Marysville Ohio. Direct from both Dunlop engineers and Honda engineers. Keep them at tire manufacturers specs and that is usually around 38 to 40psi

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The factory 33psi is to low per Dunlop. Honda put 33psi for ride comfort sacrificing tire wear and longevity. I got that from the Honda Homecoming they used to have at the Honda plant in Marysville Ohio. Direct from both Dunlop engineers and Honda engineers. Keep them at tire manufacturers specs and that is usually around 38 to 40psi

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks, I will increase my tire pressure to the tire manufacturers specs. I have the Shinko Journey Touring tires. I will look when I get to the parking lot. 😊

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an 03 1800R. Recently I have noticed a pulsating vibration at around 70-75 mph in 5th gear while cruising on the Interstate. No heavy acceleration when the pulsating occurs. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and what the resolution and the cause was found to be. I have almost 17k miles on it and ride almost daily. Bought it back in March 2021 with 10 K miles on it. Thanks for the help y'all!
I have a 2003 1800 r also and a couple days ago i noticed that when i got on the throttle a little going about 60 or so the bike did a little shaking, reminded me of the Harley ultra classic i had, almost thought it was a motor mount, could be i guess.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 2003 1800 r also and a couple days ago i noticed that when i got on the throttle a little going about 60 or so the bike did a little shaking, reminded me of the Harley ultra classic i had, almost thought it was a motor mount, could be i guess.
Were you in 5th gear when that happened?

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
I check my tire pressures at least weekly sometimes twice a week depending on where and for how long I plan to ride. Per the factory specs, I keep my front tire at 33 and my rear tire at 36. The rear tire has a pressure range from 33-36. I opt for 36 since I'm bagged and usually carrying a somewhat heavy bag or a passenger.
Well thats part of your problem right there. After years of reading on the forums and following the advice of actual riders, not cubicle geeks, the consensus is to use 38-40 psi and adjust slightly from there.

Reactions: TennX

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I'm not sure if it's lugging or not with no tach. I am going to adjust the valve clearance this winter and see if it goes away. I'll try to remember to let you know.
Save that 5th gear for out on the Interstate riding. I have a tach, and @ 60 actual, I'm maybe doing 2500 rpm. @70, I'm running 3K. My actual speed is within 1 to 2 mph of what the speedo shows, thanks to the darkside I ride on the rear.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
118 Posts
This is not a cubicle geek kind of posting, I have experience with Shinko journey tires on my other bike a Honda Valkyrie, and the tread pattern caused a strange vibration, but it was at lower speeds. I won’t buy another shinko journey because of what I consider a flawed tread pattern. I’ve had really good luck with Shinko triple sevens I don’t have a problem with those at all. In any case all the postings about tire pressure and tire stuff are probably what you want to look at first unless you know there’s something mechanical going on with your engine, tranny or final drive drive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well thats part of your problem right there. After years of reading on the forums and following the advice of actual riders, not cubicle geeks, the consensus is to use 38-40 psi and adjust slightly from there.
Well, I took y'all's advice and adjusted my tire pressure up. Just to make sure, I went and got my tires balanced again too. On my ride to work, it was still vibrating exactly the same as before. I made sure to check for any cupping or abnormalities and everything checked out good. 🤔

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is not a cubicle geek kind of posting, I have experience with Shinko journey tires on my other bike a Honda Valkyrie, and the tread pattern caused a strange vibration, but it was at lower speeds. I won’t buy another shinko journey because of what I consider a flawed tread pattern. I’ve had really good luck with Shinko triple sevens I don’t have a problem with those at all. In any case all the postings about tire pressure and tire stuff are probably what you want to look at first unless you know there’s something mechanical going on with your engine, tranny or final drive drive.
I wouldn't think that the tread pattern is causing the issue because it vibrates even when I'm riding a straight line. The tread pattern as you know is completely smooth/no pattern in the center of the tire. I have done all suggested things with the tires now. Tire pressure is at 38, went and got the tires balanced again even though they only have 2500 miles on them. Still vibrating. I'm beginning to think it is mechanical. When I got the bike back in March, the previous owner must have used subpar oil (not synthetic) because the clutch was slipping. I changed the oil to Honda full synthetic and the slipping issue was gone. Maybe it has something to do with that previous issue? 🤔

1 - 20 of 24 Posts