Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Save that 5th gear for out on the Interstate riding. I have a tach, and @ 60 actual, I'm maybe doing 2500 rpm. @70, I'm running 3K. My actual speed is within 1 to 2 mph of what the speedo shows, thanks to the darkside I ride on the rear.
Is that 2500 rpm in 4th gear at 60 mph? Also, what tach do you have? I would love to add one but leery about certain aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
Is that 2500 rpm in 4th gear at 60 mph? Also, what tach do you have? I would love to add one but leery about certain aftermarket stuff.
I'm sorry, that is in 5th @ 60. @ 70 in 5th it's doing 3K. Not sure what it would be @ 60 in 4th, probably close to 3K, IDK. I have a VDO tach which was the biggest part of a Rivco mount, which are no longer mfg'd. Mine is solid as a rock with no needle dancing. Chuck_VTX_F, a member here, wired it up for me a number of years ago. It originally was for a 1300, but I tracked down a adapter, and Chuck made the thing work like it should after we found a cut insulation sheath where it goes into the back of the cup. If you'd like a pic or 2, use the conversation feature to send me a PM with your email address.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
105 Posts
I wouldn't think that the tread pattern is causing the issue because it vibrates even when I'm riding a straight line. The tread pattern as you know is completely smooth/no pattern in the center of the tire. I have done all suggested things with the tires now. Tire pressure is at 38, went and got the tires balanced again even though they only have 2500 miles on them. Still vibrating. I'm beginning to think it is mechanical. When I got the bike back in March, the previous owner must have used subpar oil (not synthetic) because the clutch was slipping. I changed the oil to Honda full synthetic and the slipping issue was gone. Maybe it has something to do with that previous issue? 🤔
Actually with the shinko journey I didn’t say this earlier but the only time I could feel the vibration was when the bike was upright going straight, meaning that the center part of the tread pattern is what caused the vibration and when I would lean left or right that weird feeling in my butt would go away. But I guess you got it figured out it’s not the tire, or certainly not the tread pattern, so I just threw that out there as a possible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm sorry, that is in 5th @ 60. @ 70 in 5th it's doing 3K. Not sure what it would be @ 60 in 4th, probably close to 3K, IDK. I have a VDO tach which was the biggest part of a Rivco mount, which are no longer mfg'd. Mine is solid as a rock with no needle dancing. Chuck_VTX_F, a member here, wired it up for me a number of years ago. It originally was for a 1300, but I tracked down a adapter, and Chuck made the thing work like it should after we found a cut insulation sheath where it goes into the back of the cup.
Gotcha. I don't usually shift to 5th until I'm going over 65. I like the sound of my v&h Longshot too much to shift earlier so it shouldn't be lugging in 5th at 60 mph.
Actually with the shinko journey I didn’t say this earlier but the only time I could feel the vibration was when the bike was upright going straight, meaning that the center part of the tread pattern is what caused the vibration and when I would lean left or right that weird feeling in my butt would go away. But I guess you got it figured out it’s not the tire, or certainly not the tread pattern, so I just threw that out there as a possible.
I'll keep that in mind as the tires age though. Good piece of information. Thanks!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts