Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the welcomes everyone! For those who have not heard of Pulstar with PlasmaCore spark plugs before, Pulstar incorporates pulsed power technology into a spark plug to produce quicker throttle response and higher average horsepower and torque. Pulstar spark plugs prepare your fuel for combustion by storing energy from the ignition coil in an internal capacitor and releasing it in a 5,000,000 watt plasma-forming pulse. The plasma field sensitizes the fuel mixture, ensuring it ignites instantaneously and burns at an accelerated rate. Creating more force on the piston during the power stroke; applying more torque to the crankshaft and more power to the wheels. Pulstar can be purchased at any big box retailer including: AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, and JEGS. They can also be purchased at our website Pulstar.com. Click on the buy now tab and search for your motorcycle on the second drop down menu. Thanks again for having us and we look forward to sharing our experiences with you all! ~Andrew at Pulstar

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Fantastic, now explain how my 364 watt electrical system can produce 5,000,000 watts of power. Im sure its not RMS but jeez. This really sounds like a project of those Sandia National Lab types. You didnt list the plug needed for the VTX 1300 or 1800.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fantastic, now explain how my 364 watt electrical system can produce 5,000,000 watts of power. Im sure its not RMS but jeez. This really sounds like a project of those Sandia National Lab types. You didnt list the plug needed for the VTX 1300 or 1800.
It's 5M instantaneous watts that is stored over a longer period of time and released in nanosecond pulses. The internal capacitor is the key behind the technology. For the 1300, the Pulstar plug is a he1ht9 and the 1800 Gold Wing is the be1ht10. If you go to fb.com/followpulstar and click on the promotion tab, you'll get 25% off your next order.

In regards to the shopping cart on the website, we couldn't agree more in how difficult it is. We have been working for over a year to fix it and early next week we should have the new version up. I'll keep you all posted! Thanks for the questions! ~ Andrew at Pulstar

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
​Andrew, what about the 1800 VTX ???????

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Both the VTX1800R/S & VTX1800C use be1ht10. Thanks for the question! ~Andrew at Pulstar
"For the 1300, the Pulstar plug is a he1ht9"

Now I'm really confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never mind (think I had a brain fart)!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Thanks Hans. Just looked them up on Amazon. They are a bit too rich for my pocketbook

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Hans. Just looked them up on Amazon. They are a bit too rich for my pocketbook
Go to fb.com/followpulstar and click on the promotion and you'll get 25% off your next purchase! Guaranteed it'll be like riding a whole new bike with Pulstar! On top of that, you have a 30 day guarantee money back if they don't live up to your expectations! Thanks for the feedback! ~Andrew at Pulstar

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Has anyone used these plugs in their VTX yet?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have for the last 2200 miles and been pulling them out every 1000 just to see what's going on with them and so far it's a great plug. I also installed them in my 2008 HD Dyna Wide Glide and they are also doing well in that bike too. As an example of the efficiency, I met up with a few VTX'rs for Bikefest in Raleigh nc this past Saturday. Myself and another were running a bit late in meeting the group. Speeds were in the 75-95mph range (a few times to get away from trucks spewing crapola over the road). I had accumulated 103 miles before gassing up and the bike took 2.3 gallons. At 44.78 mpg while riding 80% of those miles at 80+ mph it is impressive. The bike was running very well before I switched but now I see the biggest efficiency increase at higher speeds and throttle response is a a little better. Needless to say, I was shocked at the 2.3 gallon top off the other day along with everyine else that was there. I ran another 74 miles at an average of 60 mph and it took 1.42 gallons making it around 52 miles per gallon which is slightly more than I was getting before the switch. Going to be doing more recording from here on out for another 1000 and see what I get to get a real average and make this more measurable. Been using 87-89 octane depending on where I get gas.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the info

Dan

·
Registered
279 Posts
52 mpg?? Yeah, that sounds far fetched. Ive reached 42 mpg before. but difficult to repeat. Id like to see those numbers repeated on a regular basis , and on different roads before Ill believe it. Maybe you were doing alot of coasting downhill??>:popcorn:

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
At plus 65mph I get about 38-39. Running 65 to 55 about 40-42. If I log miles at 50 or less I have gotten 50+ consistently. Its just not often I can log alot of miles at -50 mph. If I could get 42-44 at 70 that would be sweet. Keep us posted James.....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do your research

If you do your research on the web there are some real world reviews on these plugs mainly in the automotive arena. The results are a mixed bag from neutral to negative. As an aircraft mechanic I can speak of the advantage of 2 spark plugs per cylinder. During the ignition event the combustion flame forefront has to travel across the cylinder a second spark plug that is on the other side maximizes the ignition event. In a aircraft piston engine 2 magnetos are there for system redundancy and combustion effectiveness a loss of 1 spark plug during a mag check will lose 50-125 rpm on a properly timed engine. Increasing the spark intensity in theory would have a positive effect. Over the years many spark plug manufactures have introduced various improvement I.E. Split fires coil boosters, and ignition none of which yielded real world gains. Certainly not enough to offset the investment required. A high quality plug does the job. These plugs have failed in less than 50 thousand miles in some reviews by individual owners reported having to pull them for fouling or failures. Some reported plug failures left debris during these types of failure and damaged the engine. I don't profess to know this first hand but read on some forums by owners. You decide .. and maybe your wallet too.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you do your research on the web there are some real world reviews on these plugs mainly in the automotive arena. The results are a mixed bag from neutral to negative. As an aircraft mechanic I can speak of the advantage of 2 spark plugs per cylinder. During the ignition event the combustion flame forefront has to travel across the cylinder a second spark plug that is on the other side maximizes the ignition event. In a aircraft piston engine 2 magnetos are there for system redundancy and combustion effectiveness a loss of 1 spark plug during a mag check will lose 50-125 rpm on a properly timed engine. Increasing the spark intensity in theory would have a positive effect. Over the years many spark plug manufactures have introduced various improvement I.E. Split fires coil boosters, and ignition none of which yielded real world gains. Certainly not enough to offset the investment required. A high quality plug does the job. These plugs have failed in less than 50 thousand miles in some reviews by individual owners reported having to pull them for fouling or failures. Some reported plug failures left debris during these types of failure and damaged the engine. I don't profess to know this first hand but read on some forums by owners. You decide .. and maybe your wallet too.
You are correct, however many of these reviews are older. In 2009 we admittedly had a quality control issue. The plugs were manufactured in Mexico and we had higher breakage rates than other spark plug manufacturers. To counter this, we hired Steve Smith as VP of Operations. Steve has decades of spark plug manufacturing experience; spending most his career at General Motors’ AC Spark Plugs, Auburn Spark Plugs, and Flexible Products (a Tier II automotive supplier). Steve’s first order of business was to bring our manufacturing to the USA and implement quality control measures to prevent further issues. Our breakage, defects, and return rates have since fallen to 0.1% for our newest line.

As to durability, because the pulse we produce prior to the spark is so intense we had discovered that using fine wire electrodes eroded too quickly. Since the only reason to use a fine wire electrode is to ensure consistent combustion of the fuel mixture, we realized didn’t need it. Our pulse forms a plasma field that strips ions from the fuel mixture, making it ignite instantaneously upon interaction with the spark. So, our newest line of PlasmaCore product has a wider electrode. Meaning the life of the plug has been increased.

We have plenty of recent reviews from organizations with actual testing protocols in place. For example:
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/15fd3b66#/15fd3b66/76
https://www.pulstar.com/files.php?force&file=reviews/DSPORT_June_2014_515656117.pdf
http://www.thumpertalk.com/wiki/_/why-spark-plugs-can-make-or-break-your-bike-r357

·
Registered
349 Posts
52 mpg?? Yeah, that sounds far fetched. Ive reached 42 mpg before. but difficult to repeat. Id like to see those numbers repeated on a regular basis , and on different roads before Ill believe it. Maybe you were doing alot of coasting downhill??>:popcorn:

So if I understand you correctly, if you only reached 42 mpg and others here have reached 50 or more, I guess all our bikes that go more than what you have maxed out at are all screwed up or we are somehow lying. Here are some real world number from my trip to The outer banks last week:

Took route 64 all the way to the coast and for those of us that know this route, there ain't no hills so there was absolutely no coasting going on. To my Doubting Thomas, feel free to to mapquest the route from Lousiburg, NC up RT 12 to Surfin Spoon frozen yogurt store. Also, get a topographical map so you can see the lack of hills in eastern NC. The biggest hills are the bridges you have to cross. At 161 miles I stopped for fuel and put in 3.179 gallons of 87, making my mpg 50.644. Average speed for the trip as per the garmin nuvi I brought to calculate average speed was 63 mph with a top of 72. Passengers on the bike were me, at 211, and my wife, at 116. Never got on the throttle heavy specifically to reduce the amount of variable that could affect peak efficiency and this is what I have been doing when running the highways when I am taking numbers so my inputs are consistent.

Asking to repeat these numbers on an assortment of different roads is ridiculous as running the mountain roads in the western part of the state will NEVER allow you to achieve peak efficiency just as running around with your buddies winding it out. It kills efficiency.

Do I attribute the total efficiency to these plugs? Nope. Do I think they contribute? Absolutely. Do they make a difference in the way my X and my Harley run? Yes they do. Better throttle response off the line is one for starters. Will be pulling th plugs in another 437 miles and will post picks of the plugs. Should have that by mid next week or Monday.

Here are some real world numbers from my run with about 12 other guys running fast and hitting the throttle pretty heavy through the surrounding counties:

Ran 132 miles before getting fuel and I put in 3.627 gallons. That's 36.393 mpg. Does this mean in your eyes that the higher efficiency is far fetched or my 36.393 number? These are real world numbers.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just noticed you have an 1800 with a fairing, windshield, bags, etc. My X is a 1300 with none of that stuff installed. Different beasts my friend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts