Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 VTX. She's sat in the garage for 6 months while i fixed some other problems. Put everything back together today and I did not hear the whine of the pump when the ignition turned on. There was enough juice in the battery to crank the starter but it would not turn over.
Voltmeter shows 11V to the pump connection.
I took the pump out and hooked it to a 12 V battery and you could hear it pumping. Hooked it back up to the bike, turned the ignition . . . and nothing???

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Start with a good, fully charged battery. Then start further troubleshooting if needed.

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
Voltage at Green and Brown wires at FP connection with pump connected??
Several pumps over the years needed a thump to get them going again.
Try it, see what happens.
Charge the battery.

·
Super Moderator
63,566 Posts
Do you have a fuel manager and is it getting power from the rear running lights? If it is, check to see if your rear running lights are on. Blown fuse to the rear lights, no power to the fuel manager and no fuel pump. Don't bother trying to start the bike if you don't hear the fuel pump prime, There's no fuel and you'll just waste the battery

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have a fuel manager and is it getting power from the rear running lights? If it is, check to see if your rear running lights are on. Blown fuse to the rear lights, no power to the fuel manager and no fuel pump. Don't bother trying to start the bike if you don't hear the fuel pump prime, There's no fuel and you'll just waste the battery
Break lights and rear running lights are on. Is there a fuse for this pump itself?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually i took a second look and the rear running lights in the turn signals are not working. The running light in the break light is working. The rear turn signals and break light are both coming on when depressed.
So i looked at the fuse box and didn't see one for the rear lights?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Give up your VTX key until you know where the hardware is.
I've had this bike since '03 and I've done lots of modifications to it. Its got the duel air intake and flush mounted rear lights. So things have been flipped around and are not where they once were on this bike.
Now I only see 2 fuses on the left side and they are all good.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
So if you remove the HP fuel line at the at the fuel rail, will the pressure push your fingers off if you hold it tight.

It is a crude method but it may work. OUTDOORS... In a container so it does not spray all over.
Unless you have a gauge and double stack banjo and run back to fuel rail.

Fuel prime, yes/no or maybe???
One guys ECM stopped outputting the relay trigger. Grounded that Black/Brown wire in 2017. Still cooking!

Leds connected back to back one reversed and a current limiting resistor = good IPG and Camshaft pulse generator.

The fuses, you test them or look at them??? What about the 2 pin connector that comes from the fuses??? Check it?

Prove it good or bad and move on. on...

Dual led tester. Pulse generator lights up each led for polarity.
On a relay or injector, battery voltage, then spike when trigger removed should light up other led.(not tested)
relay spike could go to 80 volts. The more current, a higher the spike.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts