Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my new X out for the first rides this weekend.
Buying it was one of the best decsions I've made in my life! I feel like a new man! I'm happy again!

Being a newbie to riding and the X I have a couple questions though.

While riding I'm hearing a sound sort of like a diesel turbo. Is this normal? If not , what might be the cause?

My other question is about ergonomics. After about 50 miles yesterday I noticed that my right elbow was starting to hurt a little. I also noticed that I'm having a problem with wanting to lock my elbows while I'm riding. I think the bars may be a little to far from me as I have short arms. Would this mean that I should invest in a riser? How do I determine what size of riser so that I can buy and install only once?

Thanks for all the help.

Bill Ruminas

·
Registered
465 Posts
Most of us change the seat and bars to fit us. The bikes are great but they're set up for one particular person. We're all different and like to ride/sit a certain way. I would say to look at some of the pics on here and surf the web for some bars that you like. You like most of us will want something that allows you to sit back in the seat more. It's a better ride that away. As for the sound, you'd have to tell a bit more about it but if I had to guess it would be on decel that you hear this and if so it's normal. Hope this helps some

·
Registered
181 Posts
You made a good choice in the VTX. Did you get a C model? I don't think anybody with a C is happy with the stock handlebars or the seat. When I got the bike I took a 1,200 mile trip and got killer back and butt aches. I wound up with Kewlmetal risers and a Mustang seat with back rest, and that makes the bike perfect for me. I can ride all day now. I'm 5'11", 170 lb. The turbo sound may just be your cooling fan, unless you somehow got a model with a real turbo, in which case get ready to pay some speeding tickets.

--------

04 1300C, candy red, lots of extras to make it a good comfortable cruiser.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Before i had my C,i had a suzuki 800 intruder.The bars were kinda in the bull horn shape,but not so drastic like some harley's.I changed the controls on it to mapam foward controls.So it was more comfortable.I traded it in on the C because i like the T bars nad the way the seat fit.After about 50 miles on the suzuki,my butt ached,at 100,i had to rest for a while.I love the way i'm positioned on my C,If i did'nt,i would of gotten the R/S model.Plus i'm6'1,your height makes a difference.I've got long legs,they fit on the pegs just right.Idid'nt want floor boards,they bent my knees back a bit,i like my feet forward.It's all about preference.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The" whirl"sound is prob. normal. I hadnt had a bike for a long time and the new bikes do have a "whirl" The first time I remember hearing it was on a gold wing a few years back. I think the whirl is like a oil leak on the old HD,as long as its whirlin all is cool. 8) btw welcome and ride the he** out of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Snoopy,

I have a Retro S

Sorry I hadn't stated that.

I just figured out the signature thing.

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts