Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,104 Posts
Fram??? You may want to do some reading up on oil filters. I wouldn't use a Fram filter on a lawn mower.
Just an FYI, some research on here going back quite a number of years, member Chuck_VTX_F disputed & proved all those erroneous claims about Fram filters. Not much different than any other paper filter element. Sorry.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Cheap is as cheap gets. Oil quality and engineering have come a long way since the early days. Really, if you need to change your oil filter each time it means your motor is throwing out enough metal particles to clog a filter. Good luck with that motor. Oil is still cheap in the scope of life etc. Buy good quality oil that is of YOUR choosing and change it yearly if you are doing the miles or when it suits you. When you return your dirty oil it is cleaned and recycled, not thrown away.

·
Registered
127 Posts
————-
I agree. Shell Rotella T4 15W-40 is hard to beat.
2003 VTX1300S 41,000 I bought my bike from a dealer that took it in on a trade in. 2008 (18,000) one owner, who, by chance I met when he saw me and the bike downtown. He gave a quick history on the bike, adding that he was sorry for trading it in for a Sportster. It had AMSOIL in it when I bought it and it's what I used in it up until I did the last oil change when I went to a motorcycle blend by Castrol. I have not had any issues with the oil. This past week I've been doing a scheduled inspection (a few thousand overdue) New shoes and tubes, final drive, etc. This time I'm using Mobil 1 high milage 10W40 full synthetic, and a Fram filter. I did a little research, and I don't think there will be a problem. (Comments?)
I do have a question though...Shell Rotella 10W40 is labeled as diesel engine oil. That always seemed to me as being an odd selection, but I know a lot of folks use it. It's definitely cheaper than the Mobil 1 full synthetic.
Norm

·
Registered
42 Posts
I haven't looked at this site for years.

Dr. Dolittle. Thanks for the link! But I am a bit confused by the referenced table and hope you can clarify how to interpret the information. The text in the first column says "These Oil Filters have ..." and under that is "Motorcycle filters". Then the next column has "Recommended filters", but only one of these is also in the first column - which is a large part of my uncertainty in how to interpret the information. Also, the last two columns are both headed with "Automobile filters..." so I am ignoring those two columns. I think this means all of the following about the first two columns, but I am not quite sure:

1) ALL the filters in all columns meet the specs listed at the top left in column 1.
2) All the filters in columns 1 & 2 are for motorcycles.
3) None of the filters in column 1 are recommended EXCEPT that Mobil M1MC is recommended.
4) All the filters in column 2 are recommended, EXCEPT that the Purolator filters may or may not fit due to the convex surface.
5) The longer filters are recommended over the shorter ones, "if you have the room".

Did I get all that right and if not, how is the data supposed to be interpreted? (Again, the list of motorcycle filters in column 1 appears to be only those not recommended, but there is one that is recommended.)

·
Registered
11,742 Posts
Do NOT exclude “car filters” from consideration. Internal combustion is pretty much the same whether it happens in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 8 or more cylinders. Maybe there is a seven cylinder radial engine out there somewhere that I should also include. Quality filtration comes from good media and sufficient area. My 2 cents. Personally, I like the 3300 Bosch, but I’ve used many many brands over the years and never had issues.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts