Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was riding my 04 vtx1300 and ran over a 3inch long 1/4 inch lag bolt with a,washer on It It went completely into the tire up to the washer. I have stock tires on it and on the side it says tubeless. I pulled the bolt out and what appeared to be a tube was visible in the hole. I was going to plug it but decided to put air into it first. It filled up and was fine. No leakage at all. I proceeded to drive 50 miles home with caution and it still is holding air after a little,more then a week . I have no idea how this is possible. The side of the tire says tubeless . My thought was maybe someone put a tube in it and when i pulled the bolt out it sealed the hole so when I filled it it was fine. That's the only thing I can think of . Does anyone have any clue how this could be possible

·
Registered
11,582 Posts
A tube would have died on the spot.
Previous owner must have put in some of the "Ride-On" Tire Sealant.
The stuff is used for balancing tire and puncture sealer.
I have not used any of the balancer/sealer.
1/4" lag bolt exceeds the nails I have run over.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
+ 1, on the use of Ride-On. Saved me from a flooring nail 250 mi. from home. In my car tire rear. Got me to a friend's home where it flattened overnight, and we had to plug the tire to get me home from another state.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Probably time for a new tire. The Ride-on did its job. At the very least, I think I’d be plugging the hole to augment the sealing you’ve already gotten.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You should be able to see if there is a tube by looking at the valve stem. Tubeless would have a large rubber flange around the base to help seal air and if there is a tube I think you should be able to push the stem into the rim.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should be able to see if there is a tube by looking at the valve stem. Tubeless would have a large rubber flange around the base to help seal air and if there is a tube I think you should be able to push the stem into the rim.
Yes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it has spokes. The valve stem appears to be attached to the spoked rim. I just ordered 170/80 17 tire for the rear and now am looking for a tube based on what I was told by someone at a service center. I cannot find any tubes in the size I need or cannot even imagine how it would be installed with the metal 90°valve stem on the rim. Nowhere on the side of the tire at all does it indicatecwhat size tube it would take. Or does it not take a tube. Thanks in advance for any help

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Obviously If its spoked it either has a tube or has been sealed and made tubeless...good luck

·
Registered
11,582 Posts
170/80-15 is the correct rear tire size...
The tire is tubeless for the cast wheels, can be used with a tube for the spokes.
If the wheel has been sealed, then no tube needed.
You buy a tube based on the tire size.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts