Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have a '04 1300 C and have decided on the HK 2.5 classic straits.

What else do I need to buy for installation? Jet kits? etc. I am not a heady wrench here but I can follow directions!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think most people can get away with just installing pipes without rejetting. I put the 2.5 straights on last year and had no problems. You just have to make sure you buy some new exhaust crush gaskets for the install. When you take off the stock pipes there will be old metal gaskets that you will have to get out and replace.

Just to let you know though, I just installed the extremrevolution air box and rejetted it yesterday. It made the exhaust sound 100 times better. No more lean sounding exhaust note.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
mr. kurt said:
I think most people can get away with just installing pipes without rejetting. I put the 2.5 straights on last year and had no problems. You just have to make sure you buy some new exhaust crush gaskets for the install. When you take off the stock pipes there will be old metal gaskets that you will have to get out and replace.

Just to let you know though, I just installed the extremrevolution air box and rejetted it yesterday. It made the exhaust sound 100 times better. No more lean sounding exhaust note.
Just curious, what was your gas mileage after the install? If I'd ever change pipes, of all the ones I've heard, those sounded the best, IMO.

G

·
0 Posts
I have had the 2.5s for about a year and a half give or take. They sound great, kinda loud, ok very loud, but I love that. I did not have to rejet and have had no problems. I did not even change the gaskets, and again I guess I was lucky, no problems. Recently however the tips which are interchangable are loosing their chrome. It is flaking off. The pipes still look great however. I think I can replace the tips for about 50 bucks. All in all I think they are great pipes and sound great. Hope it helps

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think i was getting low 40s with just the pipes. I need to start figuring what I get now that it has been rejetted.

They sounded great before but after the new airbox/rejet theya actually are louder and deeper.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just installed HK 2.5's 3 weeks ago and yes replace the crush gaskets. Also, I found it alot easier to mount the 2 pipes (loosely) together ...than to follow directions and mount one at a time. Once the bracket that holds the pipes together is mounted to the pipes, then its verly easy to bolt up to the motor. then start tightening little by little all the bolts. Takes several times around to all the bolts. then start the motor and run it till it gets hot. Shut it off and tighten the bolts again. Be careful not to strip any threads. Just take it easy and you will be smiling from ear to ear.
The gaskets can be a pain to get out. There again notice how they are in stalled. there is a seam. this should be facing outside. Ok, I used a small screw driver and tapped on the gasket on opposing sides till I could open up the gaskets enough to grap them with a needle nose. Will be waiting to hear how your ears feel when your done :wink:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I installed HK 2.5 a almost 2 weeks ago. The weather has not been very good so haven't had much riding but my milage since the install is 158 so far and haven't switched to reserve. I expect it should be getting close.

I did not rejet and I am running a stock airbox and filter. I seem to be running a little rich at altitude above 6000'. I haven't removed the pair but I did plug the hole in the airbox. The sound is great and the milage doesn't appear to have changed. I was getting 160 miles before reserve on the averge with stock pipes.

RattlerX

·
Registered
696 Posts
Not the usual exhaust question!

I currently have installed on my bike (1300C), a set of HK slip ons, which I love.

What I need are some measurements from other riders who have either the Sideburners, the K2's or any other system.

My situation is this: I need to lower the passenger pegs for the comfort of my bride. I bought a set of Kury offset mounts, only to find out that I couldn't use them since the top pipe is in the way. The mount would actually lower the pegs/floorboards to approx the bottom of the top pipe, which is where I would like them.

From looking at pictures of the Sideburners and the K2's, it would appear that they do sit lower than stock. I don't want to buy them and then find out they still won't work.

If any other riders have these pipes (or any other) I would really appreciate a measurement down from the rear footrest mount position, to the highest point of the pipes (that would interfere with the pegs/floorboards).

I would also appreciate any feedback from riders who have heard the HK slip ons and the K2's or the Sideburners, the difference in sound / volume.

If I cant solve this problem, I may have to look at a touring bike, either a Goldwing or an Ultra Classic. I really don't want to lose my X, so please help!
Could you guys with the HK 2.5's also give me this measurement? I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
i installed an air intake so i jetted the bike (stage 3 recommended). if i was only installing the pipes, i would not think it would be necessary to jet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Took a long ride yesterday. With just pipes changed to HK straights I was getting around 165 gallons before reserve. Now with the new intake and rejet to 210 main, 4th clip on needle I got 180 miles before reserve.

How many miles can we expect out of the reserve?

·
Registered
816 Posts
silvsteve said:
I think these are the pipes I am going to go with as well. Anybody want to talk about where to get the best price?

Can anyone tell me the difference between the following:

2.5 Inch American Classic Straights
Strippers for VTX 1300 C
i believe the difference is that the strippers have a removable baffle. the baffle in the other pipe is welded in. i bought my pipes for $370 from honda line.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have the strippers and the difference is that they don't come with the tips. You are getting the same xact pipes as the 2.5 Americans, but without $100 worth of end caps. The strippers have the hole to put the screw in to hold the end caps on, so you can add the end caps. I didn't realise this when bought mine and so I wll be ordering a set of end caps soon, although they don't look too bad without them, it's just that they look a little better with them.

George

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
HK 2.5's

Heck clasic X, you stole them, HDL have the listed now for $443.22, just make sure they have them in stock. Extreme Revolution has them for 438.95 I'm sure if you call HDL they will meet that price.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Re: HK 2.5's

fev1969 said:
Heck clasic X, you stole them, HDL have the listed now for $443.22, just make sure they have them in stock. Extreme Revolution has them for 438.95 I'm sure if you call HDL they will meet that price.
Up until a few months ago HDL had them for around 380.00

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've found the HKs combined with a KN Air Filter and Dynojet Stage 1 Jet Kit makes for a nice combo.....195 main jet with 2.5 turns out I believe and it runs like a champ......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts