Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I laid my bike down a while back and I am now ready to put it back together. The front forks were bent but only the uppers. The lowers weren't even scratched. My question is what should I look for to make shure that the rest of the fork is ok and what all should be replaced other than the uppers? Also, what type of fork oil should I put in the new uppers?

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts

get in touch with GMD Computrac, they have a handful of locations, check to see what's closest to you but you may have to UPS your forks to them, assuming they will work on cruiser forks.

They will dis-assemble them, measure how much they are out, and true them up. I've had several sportbikes done by them, I don't know if they do cruiser stuff.....

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
medic2598 said:
I laid my bike down a while back and I am now ready to put it back together. The front forks were bent but only the uppers. The lowers weren't even scratched. My question is what should I look for to make shure that the rest of the fork is ok and what all should be replaced other than the uppers? Also, what type of fork oil should I put in the new uppers?
Hey dude!
Long time no talk!

One thing you should check is to make sure the steering stem isn't bent.

I rebuilt my forks for the same reason you need to. Last OCT, I rear ended a mini-van... :oops: The uppers got bent and the bottles (lowers) were fine. The lowers I believe are cast and not likely to bend. If not cast, once you get the forks apart, you can see the difference in the thickness of metal in the uppers/lowers. The obvious weak spot due to the design and thickness of the metal is the uppers.

It is really a very simple rebuild. You can buy new forks assembled from HDL for about $285 each....OR...the uppers are about $175 for the 2 of them (as best as I can recall). New seals are about $30 I think. There are also a couple sliders/guides (don't recall the exact terminology) that are teflon coated over copper. If the teflon is worn off, they should be replaced. I can't recall the cost of those.

10W fork oil is usually what most guys use (2 qts about $10/qt...I used BelRay). This would be a good time for you to do progressive springs (about $65) and replace your steering stem bearings with the 1800 Bearings (ALL BALLS about $33).

I could scan the pages from the Honda manual for rebuilding the forks and email them to you, if you thought you were capable of doing.

You're in Zanesville, about a 3 hour drive from me. So it wouldn't be impossible for me to maybe come up and help.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tHATS COOL GO AHEAD AND SEND THOSE PAGES I don't think this will be too awful tough. Thanks guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts