Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace to shoes that were on my bike when I bought her and I was looking at the Pirelli night dragons. Anyone have experience with them if so what are your thoughts on the matter.

Registered
Many, myself included, have gone for the dual-compound Dunlop Elite 4's. Newer tech/ design, supposed to be better for ride, longevity. I'm not a high mileage rider, but I'm sure several are, who could give their experiences.

Registered
I鈥檝e not ridden those, but put some Pirelli sport demons on my old cbr1000f and they were great. Running bridgestone tires that came on my bike right now, will upgrade before next summer, but they are new and tires ain鈥檛 cheap these days.

Registered
I have always run Dunlop Elite (2,3 and now 4) on my '02 VTX 1800C. The first set was always inflated to the 33psi and 35psi recommended pressure and at around 15,000 Km they needed to be replaced. Since then I have run the Elites at +2psi over the recommended and have averaged approximately 25,000 Km per set. I currently have +125,000 Km on the bike.

Registered
It helps to know what model, looks like 1300C.
Add model and year to the signature line...
Most people run 38-40 PSI in the tires.
Honda recommended pressure is too low.
Tires wear out faster...

Registered
Here is my 2 cents: Most of my miles are fully loaded or 2 up and loaded and at high speed. Carrying 40 PSI F&R with Dunlop OEMs bad mileage, Metzler about 10,000 rear and 12,000 to 14,000 front, Commander II about 14,000 rear and 16 to 18,000 front, Elite 3 and now 4 I have been able to get a little more, maybe another 2,000. But 20,000 for the way I ride I have not seen.

I am sure I could have gotten more out of most of the tires but when leaving for a trip I make sure I can finish the trip without running out of tire. I do not want to spend a day or two at a shop for a tire. I want to hedge my bets on no surprise replacements while on the road. I have had a blowout while in nowhere Oklahoma, no fun. When in doubts I spend the $$ for a new tire.

I will only run Commander II unless III fits or Elite 3 or 4. I tried a Perilli once on the front. It started cupping before I had 5k on it. May have been a bad tire or maybe it wasn't balance correctly.

Registered
Ride-On internal balancer/ sealant could save you on a lonely road with a puncture, might get you a few more normal miles.

Registered
My best rear tire mileage:
118,679 1/27/12 Installed Avon AV338 rear tire (to 135,898 = 17,219 miles) 2/25/2013
This was on the ride to Texas. Mainly on US highways going, all Interstate on return.
This tire was rated for 45 PSI.
MR VTX had AV338, better mileage than I had. He was the first to use it.
Later I bought another one later, forgot about 45 psi, ran 40 psi got 13k miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts