Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should one wait before you begin waxing a new bike.? Also, what is the absolute best wax to use? (I'll bet that question will stir up several opinions).

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'd wait until I got it home

You probably can't get much waxing done at red lights on the way home from the dealer. Just joshing you!! Opinions are like you-know-whats, everybody's got one and they all stink!!

Hard to beat Honda Cleaner and Polish in the black aerosol can. At least that will be OK until something better comes along. I use that and Kit Bike Clean. There are probably better waxes, but these two are easy to use and do a pretty good job shining up a bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not a expert but I've been around show cars all my life and have always used Meguires, they have always made my black paint shine well. Understand there's wax..and there's polish...wax will apply a coat of protection while polish will offer great shine without protection. Wax a paint job everyday and you'll get some build-up, polish too much and your paint may suffer due to no protection. I immediatley put a coat of wax on my paint and chrome the day I got it home (especially waxed the frame areas that take most abuse from rocks and road dirt) Between waxes I use the "spray n shine" (Mothers or Meguires) for quick detailing...I never use window cleaner due to ammonia (some say it won't hurt but the "sparay-n-shines" do the same job so why risk it) An important thing to consider (especially for black) is to remove all dust before you wax or polish..if you don't, your pushing dust around and adding fine scratches..I use a california duster to rid dust first...or you can wash your bike and the best cloth to use while washing is a chamois...use one for the wash and a seperate one for the drying...make sure they're both always clean. If I had to suggest one wax...it's Meguires Tech Wax...goes on easy comes off easy...makes colors shine...but this opinion is not gospel. I've also found great looking paint jobs on cars and bikes and simply went up to the dude and asked what type of wax they used...it's like asking what type of beer you like.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think you can wax your bike immediately. I think that the paint on it is probably baked on and that would make it safe to go ahead and apply some wax. I always tell people to wait about 3 months before applying wax after I shoot their paint. That way you make sure the paint has cured and all of the solvents have evaporated out. Again, not gospel, just what I tell folks!!!!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
recently switched from Zymol to Eagle One Nanowax........all my vehicles are black and they come out looking wet and glossy. Best I've used by far and easy to apply/remove. Auto Zone has it.........

·
Registered
41 Posts
NanoWax gets my vote. Goes on easy and comes off easy. Very little dust and it hides the little swirls.
The only thing that touches my paint is a micro-fiber cloth. Technology has passed the chamois for paint care.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
the pro's here use Zaino on the sho cars

·
Registered
141 Posts
I ride black as well and use the NANO wax. I have used a lot of different products in the past but I really like the finish when I am done using it.

If I have swirls of scratches the Scratch-X by Meguiars is used first and then the NANO wax.

The Honda polish/ cleaner is excellent for quick clean ups and I use it frequently. Even a little Black magic wet shine if I am in a hurry.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The most convienant I have found it s100 wash and wax. It is a spray on made for cleaning and waxing at the same time. Can't use it on a lot of dirt, but it is good to clean up a little dust and add wax. The dealers told me they use it on their show bikes also.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
enfugo, thats what our painter said for the trailer...60-90 days before waxing but can wash it with soap and water. We took the trailer over to him yesterday so he could see it completed. He seemed tickled to see it done. :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a sail boat in the ocean. I use Collinite Fleet wax on it & it lasts 6 months. Guess what I use on the bike ? truck, car etc...Honda Direct I believe sells the liquid. I use paste which I've only found in boating stores.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm going to have to second Zaino. I used it on my black Z28 for years and it gets the VTX looking great as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Zaino- Definitely Zaino!

The nice thing about it is you can put multiple coats on. The more you apply- the deeper the shine. It looks like you melted glass over the paint.

I met a distrubutor who had a purple viper. It had over 50 coats of Zaino. I can't even describe how deep the shine was. Of course, just one coat was great on my truck. It's a pain to apply (2-4 step process) and it works best on dark colors. But, its protection and appearance are second to none.

http://www.zainostore.com/

·
Registered
755 Posts
Aces_n_Eights_396 said:
I'm not a expert but I've been around show cars all my life and have always used Meguires, they have always made my black paint shine well. Understand there's wax..and there's polish...wax will apply a coat of protection while polish will offer great shine without protection. Wax a paint job everyday and you'll get some build-up, polish too much and your paint may suffer due to no protection. I immediatley put a coat of wax on my paint and chrome the day I got it home (especially waxed the frame areas that take most abuse from rocks and road dirt) Between waxes I use the "spray n shine" (Mothers or Meguires) for quick detailing...I never use window cleaner due to ammonia (some say it won't hurt but the "sparay-n-shines" do the same job so why risk it) An important thing to consider (especially for black) is to remove all dust before you wax or polish..if you don't, your pushing dust around and adding fine scratches..I use a california duster to rid dust first...or you can wash your bike and the best cloth to use while washing is a chamois...use one for the wash and a seperate one for the drying...make sure they're both always clean. If I had to suggest one wax...it's Meguires Tech Wax...goes on easy comes off easy...makes colors shine...but this opinion is not gospel. I've also found great looking paint jobs on cars and bikes and simply went up to the dude and asked what type of wax they used...it's like asking what type of beer you like.
Aces
Sage advice. Wax, or the brand to get, is of little use if one ignores the what you posted. There is always confusion between a polish and a wax on these boards. The part about dust causing fine scratches is dead on. One more thing - dirty or contaminated toweling is often the enemy to our so soft clear coats.
Good job.
Boz

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where can you find the Zaino"s. I went to Auto Zone, Advanced Auto Parts and O'Reily's at lunch and could not find Zaino's at any of these places. Just wondered if it is available anywhere except possibly mail order.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts