Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking my Class M Skills test Saturday... Yea, yea, I know, I've had my VTX 1300 for awhile and it's long over due... Anybody got any tips? I'm alittle worried about doing the cone-weave on the vtx, it's such a long bike and all...

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
beardawg said:
Taking my Class M Skills test Saturday... Yea, yea, I know, I've had my VTX 1300 for awhile and it's long over due... Anybody got any tips? I'm alittle worried about doing the cone-weave on the vtx, it's such a long bike and all...
Tip #1: Borrow a Honda Rebel.
Tip #2: Don't test in Griffin
Tip #3: Refer to Tip #2

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would borrow a smaller bike, in the Atlanta area you typically have to wait hours to take the test and I would want the highest possible chance of passing it the first time. I had a license when I moved here so I didn't take the test but it looks like it might be tough on an X. That being said, there are people that have passed it on a VTX and said it wasn't bad.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Remember your head and eyes. DO NOT LOOK DOWN. When you have to make that 90 degree turn, keep your head up and don't look down at those cones. That turn is what gets a lot of people. If you keep your head UP and your eyes pointing out in front of you, you should be able to pass it on any bike.

Having said that, it's a little late at this point, but the MSF class is always a great way to go. You take the class which lasts pretty much all weekend and then on Sunday afternoon, they test you there. If you pass, you get a little card which you take down to the license office and they just put the M endorsement on your license.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you are in the metro Atlanta area, I would go to Union City. You can call DMVS and they will set up the appointment. Had my 1300 one day before I took the road test. Had no problem. The only part ofthe road test that involves cones is the last phase. You drive straight and cut in the direction the light flashes. Mine was two to the left and one to the right. Check the back of the motorcycle hand book. The test will be shown on a diagram. I agree with the not going to Griffin. Had to friend who took the motorcycle training course at the police training facility(40 hours) andboth failed the test in Griffin.

Lets say they are understanding in Union City.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Make sure that you don't cruise in on your bike all by yourself. I have heard of them giving tickets for not having a licensed driver with you.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
yeah, ride it until your 1 block away the get off and push it there with a big smile on your face. :lol:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Be sure and hose down real good before you push it in to make it look like you're really sweating. You might earn some extra sympathy points in case you drop your x on one of the slow turns during the test. :lol:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help guys, I failed, but it was because I misunderstood what the tester was wanting me to do. I know what to do the next time. The test is a joke, however, it represents nothing that I see would benefit you in a real-world situation, nor demonstrate your abilities as a rider. The test isn't hard, the most difficult part is clearly understanding what they want you to do. I'll get 'em next time. It's such a hassle, I'd rather be REQUIRED to take the MSF course.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I'll just leave an open invitation out there for anyone that wants to practice for this sort of thing. I've got cones and I'm sure we can find an empty parking lot somewhere to set up some excercises. I NEVER turn down an excuse to practice slow speed turns.

Sorry to hear you didn't pass.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Unless they have changed, the examiners at Union City will explain what they want you to do as long as you ask before you try something. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts