Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to list my bike on Craigs List, E-Bay and on Our VTX Site.
I dont want to sell it, but due to circumstances I must.
Here goes, when I purchased the bike the dealer would not let me test drive a bike.

My question is, should I let a possible buyer ride my bike or is it a given that it is not an acceptable practice?

Please all of your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I am getting ready to list my bike on Craigs List, E-Bay and on Our VTX Site.
I dont want to sell it, but due to circumstances I must.
Here goes, when I purchased the bike the dealer would not let me test drive a bike.

My question is, should I let a possible buyer ride my bike or is it a given that it is not an acceptable practice?

Please all of your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
I would want to test ride/drive anything used. Just make sure you keep their drivers license until the test is over.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have never bought a used bike without test ride. I don't have to ride far but like to make sure all is working like it should.

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts
Just pop "test rides" into the engine and you get lots of threads;
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204458&highlight=test+rides

For me, no test rides. Too many thieves looking for an easy score. They want to know how it is, let them follow me in their car so they can see that the bikes runs normally. If they crash your bike, they will likely suit you and your insurance might very well not cover to have it fixed

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
THis has been discused may time's here. Do a search and U will find tons of oppinions on the matter..

My feelings are, if some one wants a test ride, get the $$$$$$$ all up front and tell them they have 10 minuts to come back and say no thanks. If the bike is in the same exact comditon, them the $$$ can go back. BUT if they drop, scratch, dent, tear up clutch then its their's..

Good luck!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Until money has changed hands, the only test ride I'd allow is the one where we go 2up and I drive. When the buyer comes with money in-hand and everything has been signed over, I'd give him a ~30 minute period to take the bike for a ride and bring it back in exact condition for a full refund. jb

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is one of those CHANCES that many people take with their fingers crossed hoping nothing goes bad. Most times nothing does but some times they do and when they do it can be very bad.

If the person is a serious buyer they will understand. Protect your self. When they give me cash in hand they can test ride.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
If I couldn't test ride it I wouldn't buy it. But you have to use caution if the person test riding the bike leaves a car it might not be there's. A good friend of mine let someone test ride his bike and they never came back. The person that test road the bike came to his house in a stolen car and road off with his bike. He never thought the guy wasn't coming back sense he left his car. When he never came back my friend called the police. They told him the car was stolen when they came and checked the tag. He never got his bike back and didn't have it covered by insurance.

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts
If I couldn't test ride it I wouldn't buy it. But you have to use caution if the person test riding the bike leaves a car it might not be there's. A good friend of mine let someone test ride his bike and they never came back. The person that test road the bike came to his house in a stolen car and road off with his bike. He never thought the guy wasn't coming back sense he left his car. When he never came back my friend called the police. They told him the car was stolen when they came and checked the tag. He never got his bike back and didn't have it covered by insurance.
Thus the very reason you do NOT allow test rides. Unless you give the seller CASH IN THE AMOUNT OF THE SALE, they don't ride it

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
if I know the guy (ie, a friend) then yes.

but some stranger ... then a definite no.

I bought a bike at an auction and didn't even get to
start it to see if it would run ... but the auction did tell
me where the bike was serviced and the service department
told me that is was fine, had been serviced regularly, the mileage
and that it had been in an accident.

bought it and rode it ...

if you have service records and your service manager is willing
to vouch for it, then it should suffice.

otherwise, cash up front, license and registration for the car,
match VIN numbers and have him sign the papers saying it is
sold "as is" and he can go test ride it home.

its not like the VTX is some rare imported ducati that no one
has ever sat on ...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Short answer: NO

Long Answer: NOOOOOOOO

LIABILITY: If he goes out and wrecks the bike on the test drive, the LEGAL OWNER is liable for damages.

You wanna take the responsibility of that with a stranger.

Fire it up, put it up on a stand and run it through the gears.

I would not even put him on the back and go for a ride .... should an accident occur you/your insurance will be buying him more than just a bike.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
If I couldn't test ride a used bike... I wouldn't buy it.

And if you choose not to let anyone test ride the bike... You better tell the buyer that on the phone up front BEFORE he/she rides/drives an hour or so to see the bike... CAUSE I'D BE PISSED AS HELL if you said NO to me wanting to test ride it once I showed up.

If the bike is insured... your covered as long as the rider has a MC license.
My insurance allows me to let anyone w/ a MC license ride any of my bikes and the bike is covered.

Plus I feel a 5-10 minute talk with the buyer you'd get a feel if he can ride and is interested in your bike or some crackhead riding the white pony

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts

And if you choose not to let anyone test ride the bike... You better tell the buyer that on the phone up front BEFORE he/she rides/drives an hour or so to see the bike... CAUSE I'D BE PISSED AS HELL if you said NO to me wanting to test ride it once I showed up.

My insurance allows me to let anyone w/ a MC license ride any of my bikes and the bike is covered.

Plus I feel a 5-10 minute talk with the buyer you'd get a feel if he can ride and is interested in your bike or some crackhead riding the white pony

An hour ride, shoot, I just drove 13 hours to get a bike! And had no issue with Me test riding when I let Him hold My $$$$ for the bike.. And we agreed on if I liked it or did not he would give me my $$$ back. Very Simple and easy, shoot, Pain Less :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts

Yep, that's easy to say, but do you have the ability to check that license to see if it is real and in fact him? Short answer, no you don't. Now he gets in a wreck and kills someone, now THAT will be your fault and your responsibility. And you blanket statement of "If your bike is insured...you're covered" does not apply to everyones state and insurance company. Insurance companies will find ANY way to get out of a claim if they can. You handing over your keys to an unknown individual that may or may not have a license to operate is big grounds for denial

·
Registered
176 Posts
Now that didn't help at all did it good luck. By the Kevin did your brother-in law pay for your bike?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, that's easy to say, but do you have the ability to check that license to see if it is real and in fact him? Short answer, no you don't. Now he gets in a wreck and kills someone, now THAT will be your fault and your responsibility. And you blanket statement of "If your bike is insured...you're covered" does not apply to everyones state and insurance company. Insurance companies will find ANY way to get out of a claim if they can. You handing over your keys to an unknown individual that may or may not have a license to operate is big grounds for denial
BINGO+

And should a Lawsuit be filed against you and it is for more than your insurance covers, well you personally get to pony up the difference.

Not to mention the ADDED liability when the guy claims " the brakes failed " and now YOU let someone ride on a defective vehicle.

I recently sold a bike on Craigs List and NO TEST DRIVE.

I wouldn't even think of asking for a test drive either.

That would violate my own policy of ....

" Let no person ride my bike nor will I ever ride another persons bike. "

Someone on here let a relative take a bike for a ride, the relative dropped the bike ! ! ! :yikes:

·
Registered
583 Posts
take the cash before the test ride in case he/she puts it down, but everyone will want a test ride.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
No test ride on my bike if I were selling it because my insurance only covers it if I'm driving .Like Spike said check your insurance.I know most would want a test drive but they'ed have to settle for a test ride.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
soooo.... never buy a used bike.... sorry. I'd say not a chance. Follow Spikes advice.... no cash, IN FULL, no ride.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts