Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to list my bike on Craigs List, E-Bay and on Our VTX Site.
I dont want to sell it, but due to circumstances I must.
Here goes, when I purchased the bike the dealer would not let me test drive a bike.

My question is, should I let a possible buyer ride my bike or is it a given that it is not an acceptable practice?

Please all of your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Riding opinion

I just purchased a bike a couple of weeks ago. As a general practice here in virginia a test ride is not preferred. However, when I bought my bike I brought a very experienced rider with me and a friend. I produced the cash to hold and my buddy rode the bike to give me his opinion. I really liked the bike and the seller kept the cash and I was on my way. In my opinion you have to protect yourself by ID or deposit or have someone hold the cash. Too much can happen and you could be in for more hassle than you bargained for. Good luck and I am sorry you have to part with your bike. I know how much I enjoy mine already.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
If they have the cash for you to hold - OK.
If they wreck it - they own it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
like the others said, cash to hold. Cause there have been reports of people just taking off with them. If they give you the cash, no harm. If they aren't comfortable with that tell them they can't ride it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Need to give you full asking price in cash for a test. In the ad, include "no free rides"

·
Registered
126 Posts
"Cash in hand"

When I bought my bike I didn't even have my license. The bike had 600miles on it so I wasn't worried that something was wrong. It was my first bike and I was worried it would be difficult for me to ride but everything turned out great.

It really depends on who's buying the bike. Like everyone else has said, you need CASH in your hands, and they need to have a valid DL. If they're not willing to adhere to your standards, do you really want to sell them the bike?

Just protect yourself. If they want the bike bad enough, they'll give way to your precautions and requests. An honest buyer would at least.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I recently bought a VTX1300 after looking at a dozen other bikes. These bikes were either on craigslist, the want ads from the company where I work or from bikes with "For Sale" signs on them. Only three of the sellers turned me down when I asked for a test ride. Another one wanted cash up front. Three warned me that if I broke it I bought it, but let me take it out. And the other five said "sure, go ahead" and handed me the keys. The guy who sold me the VTX offered for me to test ride it before I could ask.

Not sure if I would be brave enough to let a stranger take off on my For Sale bike or not. Guess if my insurance was good enough...

-Mike-

·
Registered
357 Posts
The many bikes that i have sold in the past were all test ridden before purchase. I ask for their drivers licence before they take off and hold it until they get back, but other than that I tell them to enjoy the ride. Some folks dont even want to ride them, just load it up and pay. I always check the drivers licences of the people who i buy my bikes from also so i can match the name with the title, you never know.....

·
Registered
944 Posts
If they have the cash for you to hold - OK.
If they wreck it - they own it.
+!
I myself would never buy a bike used (no warrenty) without a ride but I would never let anybody ride without the cash in hand as stated by Poison. If they don't agree I'm sorry but that's the way it is. I don't want to be responsable for their damage to the bike or to them in an accident.

·
Registered
360 Posts
When I sold mine, the two potential purchasers were both newbies.

The first was a girl, who showed up with a friend who was an experienced rider and had a bigger big than mine from the same manufacturer. She stayed with me ( and his bike) and I let him take it around the block.

The second (the buyer) showed up with a buddy on a big BMW. They were both military, and I had the buyers military ID. We went for a long ride. His buddy rode my bike, and I took him in trail on my VTX so he could see the performance.

Just got an email from him a couple of weeks ago - he seems very happy with the bike so :)

All that said, when I told my insurance guy that I was selling the bike he explicitly warned me of pros responding to ads and stealing bikes.

Someone here had a guy show up in a stolen car, left the car and took the bike.

·
Registered
169 Posts
No tickie, no laundry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Someone here had a guy show up in a stolen car, left the car and took the bike.
Now that guy is a genius. Possibly even an elected official.
He's traveling cross country for free! :D

Years ago there was case where a guy walked into a dealership, took a car for a test drive. Took that car to another dealer 100 miles away or so, and played the " I want to buy a car, just not sure I want THAT one, the one from the first dealer. " routine. Now the 2nd dealer, wanting to sell a car will told, no problem drive one of ours and if you buy from us we will return the other car to the first dealer.

That guy went to a total of 7 different dealers and made it halfway down the east coast for FREE !!!!!!

And the best part - he did nothing illegal. Every dealer willingly gave him a car and he called to tell them where the car was.

·
Registered
370 Posts
He's traveling cross country for free! :D

Years ago there was case where a guy walked into a dealership, took a car for a test drive. Took that car to another dealer 100 miles away or so, and played the " I want to buy a car, just not sure I want THAT one, the one from the first dealer. " routine. Now the 2nd dealer, wanting to sell a car will told, no problem drive one of ours and if you buy from us we will return the other car to the first dealer.

That guy went to a total of 7 different dealers and made it halfway down the east coast for FREE !!!!!!

And the best part - he did nothing illegal. Every dealer willingly gave him a car and he called to tell them where the car was.
I believe bikers are smarter than your average car salesman (unless he is also a biker):doorag: Just my .02.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I sold my Shadow on craigslist, the guy that bought it never asked to ride it, and I did not offer to let him. I figured he was not comfortable enough to ask.
When I bought my VTX from a guy on Craigslist he offered both me and my buddy for a test drive. I guess different strokes for different folks. I personally would not buy anything used without a test drive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bought mine about 60 miles from home. Had my pickup and trailer to bring it home if it checked out. Took it about an hour ride. Guess the guy knew I was serious cause he just handed me the key and said "have fun". Been doing that ever since. :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
You gotta protect yourself. Cash first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Protect your investment...

Everyone seems to be missing the real point. Most of us are honest people and want to do the right thing but crap happens to the best of us. Lets say you let a person test ride the bike. A car pulls out in front of him and he hits it or he just dumps the bike on gravel because he is not familar with the area. Is that person or anyone honest enough to come back and pay you for the bike that just got wrecked?

I can't afford to have a person wreck my bike that is up for sale!

It's a tuff call. When buying a bike I would want to ride also so I know it's working right and transmission is good.

You make the call.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts