Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to list my bike on Craigs List, E-Bay and on Our VTX Site.
I dont want to sell it, but due to circumstances I must.
Here goes, when I purchased the bike the dealer would not let me test drive a bike.

My question is, should I let a possible buyer ride my bike or is it a given that it is not an acceptable practice?

Please all of your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
RCW, get me some info on your bike- got a buddy of mine possibly looking for an 1800, if the price is right

Slick-

As far as your question goes- I'd never buy a bike that I could not ride first. Some sellers will insist on being paid for the bike with the condition that the person has 15 minutes or so to ride the bike for approval- if the buyer wants out and the bike is in the same condition that it left with, he gets his money back

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my bike

Steve
My bike is a 1300, you wrote he is looking for a 1800.
But I like your advise in potential customer purching prior to riding with the 15 minute stipulation.
Thanks

·
Registered
617 Posts
You might want to ask that question from and experienced lawyer rather then rider. I'm no lawyer, but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. So, liability liability liability. If they ride off and run over one of the little people, or wreck your ride you best have good insurance. You know you're living in Sue City Fl
If you do decide to let someone test ride your bike I'd sure ask to see a license with a bike endoresment and a good credit card.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i think 15 minutes is a bit long....

i remember test driving a 750 spirit when i had less than 6 months experience riding a rebel (250cc). funny to think about it now...i was experimenting on someone else's bike that they were trying to sell. 5 other guys showed up and everyone was in line to test drive it. im glad i didnt go off the rode or drop it especially while everyone watched. i think 3 minutes should be enough to test drive and hit all gears, feel the brakes, and anything else the buyer might want to check out. getting the money upfont seems like a good idea if they damaged it, but it might be hard to convince to a police the damages were no already there, if disputed. Good luck!!:p

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
You might want to ask that question from and experienced lawyer rather then rider. I'm no lawyer, but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. So, liability liability liability. If they ride off and run over one of the little people, or wreck your ride you best have good insurance. You know you're living in Sue City Fl
If you do decide to let someone test ride your bike I'd sure ask to see a license with a bike endoresment and a good credit card.
:lol: Holiday Inn Express..Funny stuff..But as always Batman is right on. Always gotta think about "what if". Someone test drives the bikes and falls off..Then says..Na..This ain't the bike for me..Then what??

Check for a bike lisense..Then maybe go to a big empty parking lot..If the potential buyer insists on a ride..But it is your call..Not thiers..

Good luck..Sorry you have to sell the scoot

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Best way to avoid problems is : Do not sell it !

Now : I would not let anyone ride my bike . If He/She want's to ride, this is the deal: 1- Show me the endorsement 2- Leave the amount asked before riding it ( and I will accept only CASH) 3- Sign ( I can have it made on the Comp.) a release of liability.
That's what I do.

Now if You know the Guy, don't let him ride ( You could get the money but loose a friend..)

PS: Now is not the best time to sell it ( people are loosing the shirt w/ the economy ).

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Credit card hell, a bank check for the full price of the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts