Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I've been here, life happens. Still riding the 07 13R with no problems. I did have a fork seal leak. I took it to the dealer since I didn't really want to mess with it and was told they won't work on bikes over 10 years old anymore. Wondering if anyone else have heard of that. I know most here do their own work and I've done mine with the help of people like hans&feet, spike, TCB, Tennx and others I can't remember, thanks to you all and glad to see most are still here. I found a guy who used to work at the dealer who opened his own shop and had him do the seals, cost $175. Felt it was a good deal, only issue with him and I've heard this from others local too is that is drags his feet and he is more into personal water crafts. I haven't talked to any other dealers since I don't need anything but might just in case I run into an issue I can't resolve.

Reactions: henkvdb

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's awful. Shame on your dealer. The sad thing is when we buy something for work or pleasure, when it tears up we are at the mercy of the dealer. Dealer support is everything sometimes.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Been a while since I've been here, life happens. Still riding the 07 13R with no problems. I did have a fork seal leak. I took it to the dealer since I didn't really want to mess with it and was told they won't work on bikes over 10 years old anymore. Wondering if anyone else have heard of that. I know most here do their own work and I've done mine with the help of people like hans&feet, spike, TCB, Tennx and others I can't remember, thanks to you all and glad to see most are still here. I found a guy who used to work at the dealer who opened his own shop and had him do the seals, cost $175. Felt it was a good deal, only issue with him and I've heard this from others local too is that is drags his feet and he is more into personal water crafts. I haven't talked to any other dealers since I don't need anything but might just in case I run into an issue I can't resolve.
I've indeed dealt with this before: my own local Honda dealer. This is the 'review' I gave them last October (No response from them though).
Luckily I have 100% support from my local Kawasaki dealer where I bought my 1800s back in 2010, so I don't really need the Honda 'dealer'.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they won't work on them maybe Honda shouldn't make them last that long. Guess when I need tires I'll find someone else to do the work. Glad it wasn't just me, this was in winter haven, fl. so it seems to be spreading.

Reactions: Harkon and henkvdb

·
Registered
157 Posts
It depends on the dealer...

dealers are NOT demanded to work on ANY HONDA out of warranty..

look for another one..

FYI,,, also with older Cars going to dealers...
they can limit what they will work on..

be up north.. salt damage will slow a mechanic A LOT, I KNOW, 50 years as a mechanic... NE Ohio.. next to the largest salt mines on the right side of the USA.
under Lake Erie is a massive salt mine..

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The 'not demanded to work on' part I completely understand.
Those dealers though should then not be surprised that once a young man or woman who started with a cheap old bike but now can afford to go for the newer models, aren't lining up at this dealer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The 'not demanded to work on' part I completely understand.
Those dealers though should then not be surprised that once a young man or woman who started with a cheap old bike but now can afford to go for the newer models, aren't lining up at this dealer.
you are completely correct..

just like RV dealers.. 4 year ago I purchased a used 9 year old 32 foot camper
4 years later I asked if they would purchase back my camper.. they said NO,, the reason its over 10 years old.
they do not care.. few people purchase new or nearly new... if owned an older trailer. or bike, or car.
I worked for years.. New motorcycle and new car dealership... I agree ...

I personally have worked on or rebuilt.. motorcycles and cars.
1911 Maxwell car, and newer .. 1960-70's Honda motorcycles

personal experience.
1969 I purchased a 66 Honda 305 Superhawk..
went to trade it in in 1972 for a New 1972 Honda CB750.
dealer turned down the trade in...
so I want to another dealer . took my 305 for a fair price and a nice price on the NEW Honda CB750.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most of the time its the young tech in the back that has no idea where to start on an old bike. If they would start them out working on old bikes and work up to the new ones they would appreciate the old ones better. To much of if you can't plug it in to a code reader it can't be fixed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've heard the same thing a couple of years ago but they don't apply any logic to your scenario, it's fork seals that job is essentially the same on all bikes it's not like you are asking them to do something motorcycle specific like reprogramming an ECU on a BMW.

My 2 dealers have told me that they won't work on the others brand so the Honda dealer wouldn't install a new tire on my Suzuki because they aren't familiar with the bike... I couldn't beleive what they were saying that appears to have changed.

·
Registered
737 Posts
My 2 dealers have told me that they won't work on the others brand so the Honda dealer wouldn't install a new tire on my Suzuki because they aren't familiar with the bike... I couldn't beleive what they were saying that appears to have changed.
This I understand. They will get the same rate for changing a Honda tire as a Suzuki tire, if they don't know how to work on the bike, they have to pay for the shop manual, or spend time looking things up that they wouldn't have to if it was a Honda.

But the main reason I've heard is that they don't carry parts (normal wear items) for other manufactures, and if they are stuck, the bike can take lift space while waiting for parts. They don't like this, especially if they are a busy shop and have their brand bikes waiting.

This is why they have Powersports shops, these shops usually sell/maintain bikes from several brands. They are usually a better option, as they carry supplies to most major brands.

·
Registered
270 Posts
my local honda dealer gharges $100 per hour and $120 hour over 10 years old. nearby harley shop $85 hour and local kawasaki shop works on hondas also

·
Registered
29,349 Posts
I bring my bike to an Indie shop. After10 years he just raised his rates.
They're still 30 bucks less than the dealer.

They work on all makes & models, been in business over 30 years.

What I've found at dealers around here, they hire a kid who took a course at a motorsports school. Technically, they know what they're doing, but lack the
insight(?) of a mechanic who's been wrenching for a decade.

After a few years, the dealership fires them, and hire another new kid at a lower
rate, rinse & repeat.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bring my bike to an Indie shop. After10 years he just raised his rates.
They're still 30 bucks less than the dealer.

They work on all makes & models, been in business over 30 years.

What I've found at dealers around here, they hire a kid who took a course at a motorsports school. Technically, they know what they're doing, but lack the
insight(?) of a mechanic who's been wrenching for a decade.

After a few years, the dealership fires them, and hire another new kid at a lower
rate, rinse & repeat.
Glad you got someone. The guy I used for my fork seals used to work at the Honda shop but decided to start his own business. While changing my left seal he damaged my handle bars and it took 5 days to get it done. I've talked to a few others who have used him in the past and they won't go back. One guy told me it took him 3 days to change a front tire. When I first went to him I asked about all the personal water crafts he had in his shop and he told me he wants to get out of that part of the business and do just bikes. Last time I was there, in late February he had one bike and 8 PWC's in the shop. His wife said he rather work on PWC than bikes. So I have to try and find someone else for tires when I'm ready.

Reactions: Harkon

·
Premium Member
6,777 Posts
Glad you got someone. The guy I used for my fork seals used to work at the Honda shop but decided to start his own business. While changing my left seal he damaged my handle bars and it took 5 days to get it done. I've talked to a few others who have used him in the past and they won't go back. One guy told me it took him 3 days to change a front tire. When I first went to him I asked about all the personal water crafts he had in his shop and he told me he wants to get out of that part of the business and do just bikes. Last time I was there, in late February he had one bike and 8 PWC's in the shop. His wife said he rather work on PWC than bikes. So I have to try and find someone else for tires when I'm ready.
I think that';s the case of one man trying to do too much. As opposed to telling the customer to bring the bike in 3 days from now, he gets the bike and then prioritizes jobs to do. Even if he's a great mechanic, he's a terrible shop owner / business man. That's one reason I really like my tire guy. If he's booked up, he'll tell you. The bike is always done on the day he says it will be done. If he sees anything else that needs doing he'll let you know, but it will have to be scheduled. If you don't like it, he's the first to tell you that a free market is a great thing. Great mechanic, great people around him, and honest and straight forward. Not always the cheapest, but if price is your only concern, expect to get what you pay for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts