Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 VTX1300T. Recently, my signal lights crapped out. The taillights and horn work, so I don’t think it’s the fuse, so I replaced the relay (seemed like a good idea at the time), but no dice. The marker lights work, but go out when I go to signal. It affects all four lights. Bad ground? Any ideas, or should I accept my limitations, and bring it to the shop?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Need more detail. Tail light and turn signals are on different circuits. What do you mean by marker lights? What are the four lights? What do you mean about crapped out. "The marker lights work, but go out when I go to signal" Do turn signal lights work at all?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The manual said that the horn, taillights, and turn signals all go through the same fuse. Everything works except the signal lights, so I figure the fuse is okay. The front lights are normally on (lit, but not flashing) while driving, unless I signal. When I signal, they go completely out. That’s new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turn signals don’t work at all. Fortunately, I guess, I’m in the Northeast, and it’s the end of the riding season unless you’re a masochist, or have heated gear (I don’t)!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a little over 52,000 miles on her, so I suppose I was due an inconvenience!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hope this helps, notice the fuse box lower right and the labels. Sorry about that, lower left!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,592 Posts
Old dirty grease in the TS switch is known to cause issues.
Slow turn-on is the most common problem when the temperature drops.
Clean and Lube never hurt, do this first.
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/73-how-step-step/459946-1300-1800-turn-signal-switch-pdf-info-cleaning.html

Earl - there is a 14 pin Yellow connector in the right side frame cover in a rubber sleeve.
Most of the lamp Green Ground wires go to that connector block than a larger Green wire takes it to the front Ignition coil mounting bolt.
That larger Green wire has other Green wires spliced to it.
Never had an issue with the Ground wires on the connector block.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
OK, I was thinking about several other bikes that I have owned. I would always look for a bad ground somewhere on them. I had a Chevy pickup, that had a very weak right headlight. I found a bad ground to that light also. Just trying to help.

·
Registered
11,592 Posts
OK, I was thinking about several other bikes that I have owned. I would always look for a bad ground somewhere on them. I had a Chevy pickup, that had a very weak right headlight. I found a bad ground to that light also. Just trying to help.

I understand trying to help! I was trying to give you more insight of the way Honda does things.
It was not until 2006 SM schematic came out that it was shown on the drawing.
Our 1300 is easy enough to find if you add some lighting to the rear.
1800 had it all taped up on the main harness by the backbone.
It was not until someone was adding a cruise control did I find out where the 14 yellow pin connector was on the 1800.

Both 1300 and 1800 have a separate Green/Black Ground wire for the VSS + speedo/odometer head
only to the Common Electronics Ground bolt at the Front Ignition coil mounting bolt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts